More FAA Part 103 Saga…..

jackc

11 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

It take it FAR 103 Australia is now dead and buried

A great supporter of Aviation you are. IF its not your way…..its the highway 😞 

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

My reference is to Air Legislation

OK. I took a wider view from what you said and identified one area where the States had the say.  The Cwlth Air Navigation Act 1920 deals with international flights. There's nothing stopping one company hiring an aircraft from another company to conduct a scheduled service that the hire has, but their own aircraft is unavailable. 

Going back to intrastate flights, it is true that CASA governs everything to do with putting an aircraft into Australian airspace, but it is the States that say if an operator can conduct scheduled services between points within the State. 

1 hour ago, turboplanner said:

It take it FAR 103 Australia is now dead and buried

It seems fairly obvious that CASA is not going to allow, firstly untrained pilots to get into the air, and secondly aircraft of uncertain construction to leave the ground. 

"Uncertain construction" is a description that might raise the hackles of some, until it is qualified somewhat. I'd say that those Part 103 kits from America, with a certainty of construction proven by experience, would be acceptable for registration. It appears that RAA doesn't want to touch them, but after an inspection, CASA would likely to be happy. CASA is not likely to be happy with something knocked up by someone who knows what an aircraft looks like, but has no knowledge of such basics as C of G position and its effects on handling. (See those videos of African "homebuilts".)

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, old man emu said:

It seems fairly obvious that CASA is not going to allow, firstly untrained pilots to get into the air, and secondly aircraft of uncertain construction to leave the ground. 

CASA already has a class for aircraft of uncertain construction: Amateur Built Experimental. CASA do not set any airworthiness standards for amateur built experimental aircraft. It is 100% the responsibility of the builder. If these FAR 103 aircraft qualify as amateur built, they are eligible for VH registration.

RAA amateur built is similar, although I think they have some extra inspections - probably because they don't have in house lawyers telling them to stay away and avoid potential responsibility.

VH registration is hardly onerous, so the only things FAR 103 really offers are:

- flying without a license

- commercially built aircraft rather than amateur built

Some form of licensing and training seem like a good idea to me. I still think you could get most of what you want through a tweak of RAA rules, e.g. 95.10 eligibility simply based on weight etc. rather than approval of specific aircraft. The ops manual already has provision for single seat BFR.

The AIr they fly in in America is pretty much the same as we fly in here. You can get airborne on a Motor cycle which would be more lethal than  a Part 103 thing. RAAus is only interested in growing,...$$$'s and being the NEW GA.. There's a good argument for establishing something that might be called the AUF.  Nev

• Like 4
  • Winner 1

Sadly, RAA will want nothing to do with ANYTHING outside its current policy agenda.  Its a company after all 😞   Some in it, who have vested interests? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, aro said:

CASA do not set any airworthiness standards for amateur built experimental aircraft. ... RAA amateur built is similar, although I think they have some extra inspections

I think if you ask anyone here who has built their own aircraft that in order to get it approved for flight by either organisation, you have to show pretty convincingly that it has been built to acceptable standards. In the CASA's view, if there is no manufacturer's instruction for the construction of the aircraft, the FAA AC-43-13 is the reference source.

2 hours ago, turboplanner said:

You've had plenty of goes, plenty of advice, you haven't even started to come up with anything solid; time to stop trolling.

One thing you don't understand is…..you DONT need a licence to fly.  the aircraft does not CARE. Just like a car, bonus is you can drive legally without a licence on your OWN property, just like you should be able to fly your plane…..

5 minutes ago, jackc said:

One thing you don't understand is…..you DONT need a licence to fly.  the aircraft does not CARE. Just like a car, bonus is you can drive legally without a licence on your OWN property, just like you should be able to fly your plane…..

The difference is you would be in CASA airspace; State Road Authority jurisdiction is within the road reservation.

Edited by turboplanner

We live in Australia, not the U.S. - and Australian laws, regulations and rules apply here. You DO need training and a licence to fly an aircraft in Australia, it has been this way since the 1920's at least, it's not about to change, and the system makes a lot of sense to me. Would you let your teenager hop into a vehicle and drive to town without any training?

We see the results of no training and no skills and no acknowledgement of laws and regulations in 13 yr old car thieves being killed, or killing others, and by 7 yr olds and 9 yr olds being allowed to drive quad bikes with no training, and the inevitable deaths that follow.

Edited by onetrack

Look at how many big shot car racers and aviators with thousands of hours training have died?  IF I fly on my own property I can only kill myself?

Yet ONE man can take 4 passengers and himself in a totally uncertified  vessel to their deaths.   Govts stood by and did nothing, even with all the publicity.

We DONT live in a perfect World,  and how boring it would be anyway.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jackc said:

Look at how many big shot car racers and aviators with thousands of hours training have died?  IF I fly on my own property I can only kill myself?

Yet ONE man can take 4 passengers and himself in a totally uncertified  vessel to their deaths.   Govts stood by and did nothing, even with all the publicity.

We DONT live in a perfect World,  and how boring it would be anyway.

You're grasping at straws now. All you have to do is start the process, actually do something to present to CASA......but nothing happens.

I don't publish everything I do here, because I know you work against me in the background.  I feel much Schadenfreude for you……. 

You don't really get it Turbs. America is the birthplace of flying. and it's a goer there and WAS here. All you talk about is it Can't happen unless it's like trucks or racing. things you know about.  Paper restrictions and negativity,  People do DUMB things in fully certified  complex expensive planes  and kill OTHERS. with them..  When they build things they see how it goes together. and can make it stronger. It's STILL ok to design and build all of a plane in SAAA and  the RAAus but not much of that sort of activity is going on now . It's discouraged, because it's NOT part of what the CONTROLLERS want. Have you ever Instructed or flown a thruster or Drifter Turbo?  THAT would make you more qualified to have such firm positions on the things that YOU have  been so strongly negative about.. If you had a death wish there'd, be simpler and more spectacular ways than building a Part 103 plane to do it.in . Nev

Edited by facthunter
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 track old mate. I don't agree with the samples you quoted there. It's youth and criminality and EASY to  access dangerous things ready made and available there. and often  a threat to many others. IF you TRIED to kill yourself  in Part 103 you couldn't even guarantee doing an effective job of  it.   Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, jackc said:

you can drive legally without a licence on your OWN property, just like you should be able to fly your plane…..

Me thinks that there is a great deal of that going on. 

Whatever happened to the gyrocopter craze of a few years ago when property owners were using basic gyrocopters when doing the basc stock, fences, water inspections over bit acreages?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, old man emu said:

Me thinks that there is a great deal of that going on. 

Whatever happened to the gyrocopter craze of a few years ago when property owners were using basic gyrocopters when doing the basc stock, fences, water inspections over bit acreages?

Funny you should mention that; the driving was by scaring the stock rather than driving the stock at a walking pace. Gyros, R22s, Quad bikes were popular.  It got a lot of stock into the yards in a very short time, but the abbatoirs didn't like the resulting meat and big buyers started to get involved in stock handling standards. McDonalds hired Dr Temple Grandlin to set the standards for yard layout and stock handling.  At the same time a lot of property members cashed in their chips by backing into trees, stalling, mechanical failure, looping quad bikes etc.  The current trend is to Kelpie cattle dogs where the property manager sends the dogs out and up to 10 might work one mob of cattle quietly getting it walking in to a compact mob, then walking it back to the manager. Because the cattle aren't scared there's none of the rushing off etc. just an orderly walk to the yards, and they're still quiet when the kelpies walk them into the yards, so all cattle are in good condition for travel. The ABC ran a series on training these dogs a few weeks ago. Muster costs have gone down spectacularly, they don't have the accidents the used to have, and their customers are happy.

Water inspections are solar/digital these days so the property owner will get an alarm in his office if there's a pump failure. Fence inspections were always a bit of a myth because usually your looking for the small holes not visible from a long distance and you need to carry  wire, star pickets, sledge hammer, wire strainer etc so you can fix a break on the spot rather than drive several kilometres over rough ground, and you're usually checking the fences as you check the stock anyway, and at least with a 4 wheel you can jump off on the run and pull down the animal to check it closer.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1