ATSB's new advisory video regarding RV (6A, 7A, 9A) nose wheels.

As an RV6a owner I was un aware of this service bulletin. Most likely because it is not listed in the RV6a section of Van's aircraft excellent website. Van's do not recommended this retrofit for RV6a aircraft for various reasons. 

• Informative 1

Yeah, actually the Service Letter shown in the video mentions only the RV 7A and 9A (the commentary, though, for some reason, mentions "6A")

Anyway, I think it's good to see ATSB getting on the front foot with well made safety videos for the home-built crowd.

Maybe it will even extend to RAAus-only types.

image.thumb.png.2331c6f31bad0ebddb4391a81c1eb14a.png

Edited by Garfly

Perhaps because Vans no longer sells RV6/6A kits, although it does seem odd that the SL only lists the RV7A/9A given the similarity between these models.

Yeah, anyway, as ATSB says in the YT Description, one of the cases they'd dealt with locally was a 6A:

"In January a Van’s RV-9A encountered a tailwind during landing on a private grass airstrip on French Island, Victoria, resulting in a hard landing. The aircraft bounced, and its nose gear then collapsed. The aircraft subsequently nosed over, and came to a rest inverted, resulting in serious injuries to both occupants, and substantial damage to the aircraft. The accident was similar to a few others, including one investigated by the ATSB in 2017. In that accident, the nose gear of a Van’s RV-6A collapsed after the aircraft bounced during a heavy landing on a dirt airstrip in north Queensland. In light of these accidents, the ATSB is urging owners and operators of Van’s RV-6A, RV-7A and RV-9A aircraft to consider Van’s Aircraft Service Letter 19-04-30."

The other one that flipped was one of our local aircraft. The pilot was quite badly injured but has since recovered. Luckily his passenger was more fortunate. 

• Informative 2

encountered a tailwind during landing ... resulting in a hard landing

A hard landing does not result from landing with a tailwind.

Same as engine stoppage (say, from carb icing, per another ATSB report) does not result in a fatal accident. That ATSB report also noted the stall/spin and the pilot's prior history of flying very close to the stall in the circuit on landing approach.

Proper training is warranted.

Incidentally, that modification is very complex for a retrofit.

Edited by djpacro
added note
  • Informative 1

You can't make a nosewheel to TAKE the loads it can be subject to in all circumstances, in any type of plane. The Mains are designed to take the load. IF you abuse it something's gotta give.   Nev

• Like 1

ATSB Quote

"encountered a tailwind during landing ... resulting in a hard landing"

37 minutes ago, djpacro said:

A hard landing does not result from landing with a tailwind.

Yeah, I reckon the ATSB would take your point.

At the same time, they probably feel their role constrains them to minimise judgemental language in their general safety messages.

(That's what social media is for.     ;- )

• Informative 1

22 minutes ago, facthunter said:

IF the Tailwind was part of a sudden wind change you can be in an uncontrollable situation but the statement as it stands doesn't inform much.  Nev

My point was that they're bound to do their informing without prejudice or judgement regarding the actual individuals involved. 

So we might want to cut them a little slack.

In any case, for me, the video of the accident where we see exactly what happened to that nose-wheel (in real time AND slowmo) certainly does inform.

An unforgettable image and a reminder to all nosedragger drivers to take good care of the little wheel.

Presumably, the accident pilot agreed to share that video of his/her embarrassment for the benefit of the rest of us.  I appreciate that.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

The video is great to show what occurred; however, we always need to consider previous landing effects as the nose leg may have had an accumulation of fatigue / stress from similar landing hits to the nose leg at speed or from rough surfaces.  Thanks for the post video Gary.  Cheers.

Edited by Blueadventures
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

21 hours ago, Thruster88 said:

As an RV6a owner I was un aware of this service bulletin. Most likely because it is not listed in the RV6a section of Van's aircraft excellent website. Van's do not recommended this retrofit for RV6a aircraft for various reasons. 

Yes, it sure is there on the website, for the last 4 years. Yes it mentions RV6.

I'd have preferred the ATSB to....suggest....that Vans do something about the longeron issue in sudden stops rather than fix what is essentially a piloting issue for the -A models.

There's been more than a few incidents of fatal injuries from relatively minor prangs caused by the longeron spreading aft of the seats, bringing the shoulder harness attach points forward, in turn  slackening the shoulder harness. The pilots torso the  pivots around the lap belt, the head hits the panel and theres your fatal injuries.

On my phone tonight or I'd link to some of the reports, but the -6A at Somerby and the -3 in Toowoomba both come to mind.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

This is just a single - very nicely done - shot of a good looking RV-7A landing (leaving only light work for the little wheel).