RA-Aus’ place in the pecking order

sfGnome

Interesting. Air services has just published special conditions for Bathurst airport during the Mt Panorama races next weekend (https://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/current/sup/s23-h65.pdf). VH and foreign aircraft have no restrictions and need no permission, but RA-Aus aircraft are banned. I understand that it will be busy with all the A-listers being flown in in their private jets, but to assume that RPC pilots are intrinsically less capable than their RPL counterparts is a bit rich. 

Ok. Fire at will…

• Like 1

Where does it say RA-AUS registered aircraft are banned? It IMPLIES permission is required but not that it isn't forthcoming unless you are a microlight/ultralight/weight shifter. It also says that the aerodrome is not available to anyone for training and suchlike. There is no blanket ban on RA aircraft in controlled airspace.

Having said that in my opinion and remembering certain events involving previous mass "arrival" of RA aircraft, it would be extremely unwise for someone without a CTA endorsement to head for Bathurst and the operator is entirely justified in excluding unqualified people.

• Informative 1

12 hours ago, walrus said:

Where does it say RA-AUS registered aircraft are banned? It IMPLIES permission is required but not that it isn't forthcoming unless you are a microlight/ultralight/weight shifter. It also says that the aerodrome is not available to anyone for training and suchlike. There is no blanket ban on RA aircraft in controlled airspace.

Having said that in my opinion and remembering certain events involving previous mass "arrival" of RA aircraft, it would be extremely unwise for someone without a CTA endorsement to head for Bathurst and the operator is entirely justified in excluding unqualified people.

Right here, chapter 2.1:

"The restricted area is necessary to exclude gliding, parachuting, ultralight, microlight and weightshift microlight activity in the interests of public safety."

Furthermore, permission to operate within R960 is not required! (So long as you're VH- or an international visitor), as per Chapter 3.2:

"Helicopters, aeroplanes and airships (VH- or foreign registered) DO NOT require permission or a clearance to enter or operate in R960."

Too bad if you wanted to fly out there in your Jab or Tecnam...

• Informative 1

RAA pilots are not permitted to operate in active restrictions anyway, so for the most part it's a null argument. Except, for those of us with a CASA licence as well that can operate an RAA aircraft in controlled airspace and restricted areas. 

Having a read of the AIP SUPP there are other errors too, like SAFA being called the HGFA. 

I would hope someone at the RAA is speaking with either the airport or CASA to have the AIP SUPP amended.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ando said:

I don’t think it’s a case of Ra aus stay out. It’s only qualified and equipped aircraft.

I don't read it that way.

A VH- registered Tiger Moth, no radio, no transponder, can fly in without speaking to anyone, as could a VH- registered Jabarooooo (but not a RAAus registered one). But RAAus with VHF comm, GNSS and ADS-B can't come. There's no mandatory communication requirements, bar IFR on a separate frequency and cancel your SARWATCH via phone, so there's no clearance into the active R area provided.

Which makes a mockery of the whole process, but again, this is airspace in Australia. Sometimes I wonder why we bother...

• Like 1

The term ultralight is not a recognised name anymore. The restriction does not specify that RA registered aircraft are not allowed. I'd like to know what their definition of "ultralight" is. Many RA aircraft have transponders and ADSB in/out and better avionics than many old GA aircraft and almost every modern aircraft from powered parachues and up is far better than old Tiger Moths and Austers.

Edited by kgwilson
  • Like 1

KRaviator - Because Bathurst is a certified aerodrome, there is a requirement for all aircraft operating there to have a VHF radio. I don't disagree with your premise though. The average age of the RAA fleet would be a lot less than that of the GA fleet. I would therefore expect pretty good fitment of modern equipment across the RAA fleet compared to the GA fleet.

KGWilson - The term ultralight is still used in 95.55. An ultralight is basically a type accepted aircraft that can be up to 600kgs. It's basically a factory built aircraft that doesn't conform to the light sport aircraft standards. According to the RAA and under 95.55, they look after LSA, Amateur built, and ultralights (and of course trikes under 95.32 and microlights under 95.10). Given this is the case I believe that as the proponent of the AIP Supp has not mentioned LSA, that an LSA can actually operate in the restricted airspace if they have a CASA licence!! 

And without stirring the pot, the AIP SUPP (and many notams these days) speak about General Aviation or GA. Where is the definition of this? 

1 hour ago, Flying_higher said:

KRaviator - Because Bathurst is a certified aerodrome, there is a requirement for all aircraft operating there to have a VHF radio.

Only if they have an electrical system capable of powering it... Tigger Moth or a Chippy without an alternator = NORDO to the great race...:amazon:

14 minutes ago, KRviator said:

Only if they have an electrical system capable of powering it... Tigger Moth or a Chippy without an alternator = NORDO to the great race...:amazon:

That is a very good point!! Thank you for correcting me KR.