Carbon emissions from light aircraft and the future

22 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Messerschmitt is only a 3 wheeler.  Only ONE drive wheel at rear and very small dia  wheels. The Mini is NOT narrow. Cornered fairly well on the track if you were into FRONT,WD. The Austin A 30 would be a lot narrower.  Nev

You have talent for stating the obvious Nev

My Mother had a succession of Minis and their bigger relatives the Morris 11/1300 - hated them all, with a passion. The early Minnie's had the most uncomfortable sling seats, dog begging driving position, slide windows that were not weather tight & the central located instruments were fare from ergonomic. In my opinion their only attributes that they were economical to run, only required a small parking space and some (??) considered them cute (UGH!).

I never owned one but used one for Parts delivery and saw plenty on the track and serviced plenty they are NOT particularly economical nor do they Have a great turning circle Due to the front CV joints. I wonder what point there is in conversing with you. I can never workout what you are looking for so it's unlikely I will Please you.. I do put in effort But why I do is a continuing question.. My apologies. .  Nev

6 minutes ago, facthunter said:

I never owned one but used one for Parts delivery and saw plenty on the track and serviced plenty they are NOT particularly economical nor do they Have a great turning circle Due to the front CV joints. I wonder what point there is in conversing with you. I can never workout what you are looking for so it's unlikely I will Please you.. I do put in effort But why I do is a continuing question.. My apologies. .  Nev

I have never owned one either but being a dutiful son serviced them and had the doubtful privilege of driving them occasionally.

As for economy, if memory serves, they could achieve better than 45 mpg (about 19 k/L or almost 5L/100k) not great but not too shabby either. Fun, if the gearbox was used with vigour, for a short time but any open road journey of more than an hour required saint like stoicism. 

I agree with the poor turning circle (many U turns converted to a 3 pointer). 

Early CV joints failed/wore as you looked at them.

Dont want anything from you Nev & have no desire to offend however telling me a three wheeler, (from my youth) drives through its one (sometimes two very close together) rear wheels, is a tad unnecessary, when I am responding to an earlier comment (not mine) about relative comfort. 

The 830cc was" sort of" economical but SU' carbs are not  Particularly noted for it.  The Messerschmitt  "scooter"  (thats the German name translated,) MEANS does 3.2 L/ kms and HAS ONE rear wheel. The point is they are not really a CAR. More a curiosity on the roads of Australia, where people did long(er) distances. Being "covered in "would be helpful in german winters.. The MINI certainly WASN'T a flop in Australia  whether it appealed  to you or not.  You have sometimes VERY FIRM ideas about what PEOPLE SHOULD LIKE. I've always taken a  more pragmatic view where it's OK to do it differently without having to explain why?? to the "n"th degree.  Exchanging ideas broadens the mind. There are no exam questions here that I know of. My main purpose here is safety of flight. Nev

The best tune i ever got out of a 875cc hillman imp was 48mpg at 75mph. The best tune i ever got out of mg tf1500 was 42mpg at 72mph. The best tune i ever got out of a mini cooper s was wheel spinning in third gear at 50mph on slicks and dry tarmac 😊

• Haha 1

Three wheels , thats another economic advantage. 

As all , seem to replace their tyres by the due date , & not when worn out .

I haven't heard much discussion on other replacement by date car parts.

Like that carbon canister,  seat belts and safety ' airbags ' .

All have a limited lifespan. 

Those tyres for my neighbours Tesla will frighten him when they need replacement. 

spacesailor

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, facthunter said:

The 830cc was" sort of" economical but SU' carbs are not  Particularly noted for it.  The Messerschmitt  "scooter"  (thats the German name translated,) MEANS does 3.2 L/ kms and HAS ONE rear wheel. The point is they are not really a CAR. More a curiosity on the roads of Australia, where people did long(er) distances. Being "covered in "would be helpful in german winters.. The MINI certainly WASN'T a flop in Australia  whether it appealed  to you or not.  You have sometimes VERY FIRM ideas about what PEOPLE SHOULD LIKE. I've always taken a  more pragmatic view where it's OK to do it differently without having to explain why?? to the "n"th degree.  Exchanging ideas broadens the mind. There are no exam questions here that I know of. My main purpose here is safety of flight. Nev

My background is mostly European, with a little "Strain" thrown in for good measure, so I likely see the World through a diffrent lense to you. I also try to read and understand what is being communicated on these pages - you might try to do the same.

"SU' carbs" - were common, in the time of early Minis, so fuel consumption, when compared with other similarly equipped vehicles, was good and not so shabby when compared to many current cars with FI & computer management.

"HAS ONE rear wheel." who is being pedantic now?? - I never inferede that the Messerschmitt had two, just that some of its peers had two rear wheels, close together (eg one of the Izetta models which I had a ride in/didn't drive).

" .....not really a CAR" - You jest???? Post WW2 had a plethora of micro cars, to meet the  financially constrained (European) pockets of the time, etc some with 4 wheels, some two at the back one at the front etc. Australia at the time may not have had quite the same economic climate and has certainly never had the road quality to make such cars welcome or appropriate.

"The MINI certainly WASN'T a flop in Australia  whether it appealed  to you or not. " - Are you suggesting that I said/inferred it was a "FLOP". if so you are incorrect. The Mini was an unexpected success, around the Western Word - I never liked it but then I am often at odds with popular culture - such is life.

"........VERY FIRM ideas about what PEOPLE SHOULD LIKE"  -  Opinionated (firm?) yes and a strident defender of difference, so no to the  "what PEOPLE SHOULD LIKE" I suspect much like yourself.

"....OK to do it differently without having to explain why?? to the "n"th degree. -" Why on earth not? - Debate is the lifeblood of a Forum like this - you are the master of the unexplained, tangential, dogma,  not me - always happy to expand on any statement/position I may take and capitulate gracefully to a better reasoned argument.

"Exchanging ideas broadens the mind."  - I agree wholeheartedly but this statement is, at least a little, at odds with "OK to do it differently without having to explain why?? to the "n"th degree."

"There are no exam questions here that I know of." - True  "no exam" but we must all be very careful to be factually correct or Nev will pounce, (which is fine by me).

"My main purpose here is safety of flight"- Laudable Nev. My calling is much less so "....Just Want To Have Fun"😈

Well here you go .

brand new E-5000 Messerschmit .

A perfect city car With it's 70 klmrs range . on one battery .

$ 15,550 ( it didn't say Aus/Us ) .

Cheaper than a second hand banger .

spacesailor

17 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

My Mother had a succession of Minis and their bigger relatives the Morris 11/1300 - hated them all, with a passion. The early Minnie's had the most uncomfortable sling seats, dog begging driving position, slide windows that were not weather tight & the central located instruments were fare from ergonomic. In my opinion their only attributes that they were economical to run, only required a small parking space and some (??) considered them cute (UGH!).

Hi Skippy,

I used to own a Mini in the UK. Absolutely loved it. Could park anywhere and with the low CG could sling it round corners in narrow country lanes with ease. The only drawback was changing the oil filter - I have small fingers but I still used to lose the skin on my knuckles every time. Hate the newer BMW "Mini" - total crap.

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 1

Any motor that's revving it's guts out is no fun to be with for long.. It's stressful and tiring. That also applies to OPEN mufflers too.. Some engine vibrations are harmonics that will BUZZ at certain revs. Cracked air filter bodies  and broken alternator and radiator mounts are common issues with four cylinder cars, in competition..

Peter Manton had the best prepared Minis and other BMC stuff. The camshafts were a critical item. Siamese ports are all wrong for race engines

Nev

6 hours ago, Neil_S said:

Hi Skippy,

I used to own a Mini in the UK. Absolutely loved it. Could park anywhere and with the low CG could sling it round corners in narrow country lanes with ease. The only drawback was changing the oil filter - I have small fingers but I still used to lose the skin on my knuckles every time. Hate the newer BMW "Mini" - total crap.

Cheers,

Neil

My Mum loved hers as well but I was the poor sod who did the servicing. Like you, donated a fair bit of skin/blood. The timing through the bell housing/flywheel with a mirror & torch was a pitta. The front mounted distributors needed waterproofing - tried all sorts of fixes - the best was synthetic skin (left over from shingles treatment) sprayed around HT leads and cap to base joint.

To this day I don't much like front mounted transverse engines - an offence to my wannabe engineer soal.

Edited by skippydiesel

Rubber glove too. The only time you don't have to run when you see them. BMC were also Pushing to stop your average Joe  or a backyarder from doing  the servicing  or YOU on your Own CAR. replacing a fanbelt wasn't exactly easy either.. The front Grille and all of the ignition system was only inches apart. Never owned one   or wanted to either but I did consider purchasing BODY damaged ones and reselling them as they weren't hard to straighten. They were in demand and that's against the other offerings at the time. My cars were Peugeot 203's. Best rough road car you could have. Won the Redex in 53.. Nev

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Rubber glove too. The only time you don't have to run when you see them. BMC were also Pushing to stop your average Joe  or a backyarder from doing  the servicing  or YOU on your Own CAR. replacing a fanbelt wasn't exactly easy either.. The front Grille and all of the ignition system was only inches apart. Never owned one   or wanted to either but I did consider purchasing BODY damaged ones and reselling them as they weren't hard to straighten. They were in demand and that's against the other offerings at the time. My cars were Peugeot 203's. Best rough road car you could have. Won the Redex in 53.. Nev

What about the 1940s; can you give us a run down on them?

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, facthunter said:

People are collecting and competing in  these things these DAYs ,Turbs. You ARE being sarcastic. Get a life. Nev

How about a straight answer?

If my pencil falls out through the little slidey bit on the canopy is that counted as light sport carbon emission, or throwing projectile from aircraft? 😐

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

That's really funny, coming from You  .Here's a straight question . Were you being sarcastic?  Nev

No, all in your imagination. You  were going back in time.

Good luck in your  endless struggle to be relevant to aviation matters . I've contributed a lot of FACTS to this Forum and I'm more than willing to answer any GENUINE questions on all of it. You dodge questions calling them straw Man arguments etc.

In all these YEARS I can't recall ONE from you. Just a lot of assertions that border on Libel  which if you had  any sense of the risks involved would desist in.  I've asked you many times to stop doing it. It's NOT a matter of me lacking humour. THIS IS an OPEN forum. and anyone has access to it..  Please consider that aspect. It's too risky.  . Nev

5 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Good luck in your  endless struggle to be relevant to aviation matters . I've contributed a lot of FACTS to this Forum and I'm more than willing to answer any GENUINE questions on all of it. You dodge questions calling them straw Man arguments etc.

In all these YEARS I can't recall ONE from you. Just a lot of assertions that border on Libel  which if you had  any sense of the risks involved would desist in.  I've asked you many times to stop doing it. It's NOT a matter of me lacking humour. THIS IS an OPEN forum. and anyone has access to it..  Please consider that aspect. It's too risky.  . Nev

None of this relates to the question.

On 06/04/2024 at 4:58 PM, skippydiesel said:

The front mounted distributors needed waterproofing - tried all sorts of fixes - the best was synthetic skin (left over from shingles treatment) sprayed around HT leads and cap to base joint.

Hi Skippy,

Yeh - the front-mounted distributor was a pain on earlier models - my mate used to spray everything with WD-40! Later models like mine had a cover, which seemed to do the trick.

Cheers,

Neil

Drove one of my Minis (I had 3, or more accurately, I moved one engine through 3 bodies) down a boat ramp one misty rainy night mistaking it for road. Oops! Pushed it back out with the help of some mates (bare feet on knobbly concrete in mid winter water 🥶), gave it a good spray with WD40 and it ran no worries.

Mind you, I never went anywhere without a full tool kit and my overalls, and there were a few romantic evenings ruined by me having to fix the thing on the side of the road. Still got a really soft spot for them though. Occasionally I find myself thinking that it would be fun to restore one (a proper one; circa ‘68-‘70), and then I give myself a swift uppercut to bring me to my senses. 😵‍💫

• Like 2
  • Haha 2