Wanna Fly Into AirVenture Oshkosh?

jackc

Probably the least stressful way to fly into Oshkosh. Down low away from the madness. My Thruster flew at the Oshkosh ultralight field in 1988. It was good to go and see it last year.

I have spent today thinking about this, thanks Thruster88🤩  Well maybe I need to execute a dream for 2025…..

Go to the U.S. buy a s/hand FAA FAR Part 103 machine, do some training and get signed off and then complete the approval process to fly into  AirVenture 2025 and attend.  Might be able to volunteer while there 🤩 

Then fly out, disassemble the machine and ship it home 👍👍 

I would fly in from Rapid City SD, I have  a friend there and could use it as a staging point. 
 Have friends in the EAA of which I am a member for the last 4 years, I am sure they will help me.

Updated requirements needed…..need to stay tuned in 😎

IMG_3717.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

This photo shows the 2018 shitshow at FISK VFR approach when the airport finally went VMC after lunch on the Sunday before show opening.

We drove in from Iowa via RIPON to FISK. Instead of X amount coming steadily over the span of the whole day, X amount plus yesterday's X amount came in after lunch when the airport opened to VFR.

"One mile spacing, (they were calling for at that time) single file along the train tracks, no side by sides."

Most aircraft were getting told to turn left and go back to the start. Many ignored the controller and kept on going. Nothing Fisk could do but focus on the next 30 aircraft.

At times they were coming up 4 wide, many were way east of the tracks and turned hard left across the tracks and across the paths of 3 other aircraft. It was nuts. How there weren't multiple midairs I do not know. But, I loved our hour there watching, it was amazing. I'd love to do the Fisk arrival myself.

At any one moment looking south we could quick count over 30 aircraft in sight, and it was endless.

Going back to Fisk again this year.

DSCN9660.JPG

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I downloaded that graphic from EAA site today, well they have over a year to get it right for 2025 🤩 I will press on with my dream!  Nothing ventured….nothing gained 👍

No radio required Jack, sounds perfect. I guess there was 100-150 aircraft at the ultralight field last year so not super busy. 

• Like 1

On 04/05/2024 at 3:37 PM, jackc said:

I have spent today thinking about this, thanks Thruster88🤩  Well maybe I need to execute a dream for 2025…..

Go to the U.S. buy a s/hand FAA FAR Part 103 machine, do some training and get signed off and then complete the approval process to fly into  AirVenture 2025 and attend.  Might be able to volunteer while there 🤩 

Then fly out, disassemble the machine and ship it home 👍👍 

I would fly in from Rapid City SD, I have  a friend there and could use it as a staging point. 
 Have friends in the EAA of which I am a member for the last 4 years, I am sure they will help me.

Updated requirements needed…..need to stay tuned in 😎

IMG_3717.jpeg

Why would you get signed off for part 103. That is against everything you have been going on about for the last couple of years.

3 hours ago, jackc said:

Because…..I CAN 🤩🤩

i mean why would you have to get signed off when you don't need a license for part 103

I mean this is a doable dream for me, I have done many crazy things in my life and I am still here 🤩

ANY kind of training no matter what is a bonus. A training  certificate is something, I can chalk up as an achievement. 
and count it as done 🤩

I have always been a minimalist person and had achievements in life doing a lot, with less. Hence I will never own a Dodge RAM.

I drove  a Suzuki 4x4 to many parts of Australia nearly 50 years ago, many people laughed at me, and said all sorts of things.

IMG_1537.jpeg

• Winner 1

14 minutes ago, kgwilson said:

Knowing how to fly it successfully would be an advantage before getting to Oshkosh.

I am not getting my point across. 

Training is always a good idea.

I am saying part 103 is aircraft that you don't need a licence to fly as jack has been talking about for ages.

Now he is saying he would like a certificate for it.  ,?

7 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

I am not getting my point across. 

Training is always a good idea.

I am saying part 103 is aircraft that you don't need a licence to fly as jack has been talking about for ages.

Now he is saying he would like a certificate for it.  ,?

When you do any recognised training, even if not needed.  You get a certificate.  I got my first at 5 years old for Learning to Swim, 

at the Harden-Murrumbarrah swimming pool in 1957. Did I need it? NO….but I have  not drowned , thus far in my life 🤩

5 minutes ago, jackc said:

When you do any recognised training, even if not needed.  You get a certificate.  I got my first at 5 years old for Learning to Swim, 

at the Harden-Murrumbarrah swimming pool in 1957. Did I need it? NO….but I have  not drowned , thus far in my life 🤩

ok.  i was confused but now i am not so sure.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, jackc said:

it would be a great experience, a bit like what holbrook used to offer. but you are already an raa pilot so what are you going to achieve doing that.

I can say I have been there done that 🤩 You just don’t know what a crazy life I have lead 🤩

• Like 1

On 13/5/2024 at 3:58 PM, BrendAn said:

ok.  i was confused but now i am not so sure.

I see where you’re asking from; maybe it should be viewed as an extra endorsement on what he has.  All mechanical things are better operated with an induction or training.

• Like 1