Check Lists

Do you use checklists  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use checklists

• Printed factory checklist every time.
    • Printed modified checklist every time.
    • Factory or modified checklist for the first flight of the day only
    • Memory or routine with occassional referal to printed checklist
    • Routine or memory only
    • What's a checklist?

Pinching Bushpilot's idea from another thread,

Do you use printed checklists or do you rely on memory and routine when carrying out preflight and other checks? - A modified checklist being a checklist you have made yourself using information adapted from the pilot operating handbook or other source.

The poll has been set up to be anonymous so you can be honest.;)

I'll 'fess up and admit that I don't use a printed checklist every time, but do use a 'modified' checklist if I haven't flown for a while or if someone else has been near the 'plane.

Cheers!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on what I'm flying ie how complex and how current I am. Simple pistons I may use a checklist if its available or just a flow check or even just a simple TMPFISHR. More complex machines I'll use a flow and then scan the checklist to make sure I haven't missed anything.

The biggest thing I find about checklist are that that are CHECK LISTS not DO LISTS. Have a look around get everything how you think it should be and the check them off - if they are as they should be.

Adam

checklists every time. memory can fail, even if you dont think you have forgotten something.

read from the list for start up, and runups, and i will have a quick glance at the list early downwind for pre landing.

Guest Macnoz

Printed checklists laminated, flip over. And Velcro attached to dash for each different stage of (pre)flight.

I use modified ones to include omissions by manufacturer (see Jabiru threads) and holding point check of trim, transponder etc.

I use PAX to read out when available to avoid speed / skip reading / I know it all attitude.

I am embarrassed to admit the amount of times PAX reading out has unearthed what might have been missed checks.

While on the subject one I have added is Radio Check and this to ensure correct frequency as much as radio functionality

Guest Graham Lea

I have always done a radio check as I thought it a CASA requirement prior to taxying.

Also, it is amazing how badly some of the radios actually work in the Sydney basin. But the check at least lets you know if you are able to be heard.

Good Poll Steve.

It's interesting how many rely on memory for their checks.

Those respondents must have good ones .......... as I find my printed lists invaluable for every flight.

Checks.

How many do a power check after applying throttle for take-off? Especially on a short strip.

... If you lose an engine just after lift-off, you won't have time to read a list (even if you have an appropriate one). Better to have that one in your memory.

The more complex the aircraft, the more the necessity for a check list which is very comprehensive, obviously. There is no excuse for rushing the pre-start list ever.

Personally, I haven't found the printed lists very inspiring, and the principle used to be to perform the required check, and then confirm it by the check list. This doesn't seem to happen very often, and a list can be read and responded to without actually checking the required item. The pilot can just be going through the motions.

I would encourage a back-up mentality with situational awareness being the key element. Checks don't cover everything. They should just be minimum REQUIRED items otherwise they replace the training manual, almost. Nev..

Depends what I'm flying.

In my own aircraft I have memorised standard & 'bold face' checks. I don't want to be fishing for checklists or head in the cockpit in the circuit etc in a single pilot operation, and surely people can learn to start up and shut down familiar and simple aircraft without a checklist (or should we have them in our cars?)

A good left to right and top to bottom look around before take off (and checks before landing) is a good idea. I like do do this verbally eg "ASI reading zero, AH erect, uncaged and set ....altimeter on QNH 1020 and reading elevation, temps and pressures in the green ... fuel on & sufficient, pump on ...trims set for take off, 2 stages of flap set, controls full, free and correct sense ... hatches and harnesses secure ... " etc. Re-check every instrument, switch, control, heading bug, radio panel and navaid properly, really looking at it and thinking what it should read - because even when using a checklist, people can skip a line or be distracted by a radio call.

Using standard CIGARS, LCA, CLEAROF, BUMFISH, PUF, FROST checks etc are good too because they can be used for various types.

I'm not current, or flying something I don't know well, or more complex than usual I will use a checklist. I try to do the checks then run through the list to make sure everything has been done, but if I'm very unfamiliar I might follow it through until I have a better understanding of the type.

Similar approach to Mazda with mine and always do an RPM/Fuel Pressure/T&P/ASI Alive check when rolling.

Question for you Maz - I've heard of CLEAROF before...can't say I'm familiar with CIGARS, LCA, BUMFISH, PUF or FROST...well by those names anyway...please elaborate.

Car checklists.

Mazda, I respect your views, but must comment on the relevance to cars. There is no comparison'. If you don't notice the generator light, turn the alternator on, the oil pressure rise , the trim setting, the flap setting the fuel selector position, the fuel contents & balance, booster pumps the seat locked. ALL these things (and many more) can kill you in an aeroplane. There is no equivalent in a car ( or you just pull over when the engine knocks) Nev...

Guest airsick
Question for you Maz - I've heard of CLEAROF before...can't say I'm familiar with CIGARS, LCA, BUMFISH, PUF or FROST...well by those names anyway...please elaborate.

I use BUMPFISH as a prelanding:

Brakes - pressure

Undercarriage - down

Mixture - rich

Propellor - fine

Fuel - on and sufficient for go around, pumps on if necessary

Instruments - all correct

Seats - upright, locked, etc.

Hatches and harnesses - secure

I have also heard of CIGARS as a pre-takeoff but might have this wrong:

Controls - full and free

Instruments - correct

Gas - on, sufficient, pumps, etc.

Airframe - flaps, trim, etc. set

Runup - magnetos, carby heat, etc.

Switches - master, magnetos, etc.

Nev what I'm saying is that anyone who flies a simple aeroplane regularly should be able to learn how to start the engine, do basic checks, know initial emergency procedures and shut down without having to stop what they are doing every few seconds to read from a checklist. If they want to use a checklist, that's good, but I'd hope they could start without one.

If single pilot military aircraft can be airborne and operational without consulting a checklist, I'm sure we can put in the time to learn checks for bug smashers. If people can't learn basic checks, yes, it is good to use the checklist every time.

I'm not advocating no checks, I'm saying it is very important to look at everything, whether it is on the checklist or not. Check every instrument, every switch, all controls, trims, hatches, every navaid. I've known of people to rattle off the checklist without actually looking properly at what they are supposed to check. I prefer to read the actual instrument rather than reading what it should be on the checklist, otherwise it's too easy to not really look at the instruments properly ("Compass and DG both reading 010, DG uncaged, generator light out, oil pressure and temperature checked sufficient for take off, fuel pressure 4, ammeter +10, suction 5, fuel indicating 18 gallons, trims set for take off, two stages of flap selected ...")

I'd also recommend a thorough pre-take of safety briefing too - covering intentions if all goes well, things that might not go as planned and measures to take if that is the case. Eg, "I'll be taking off from runway 24, departing crosswind, with and my planned track is 350. There's a 5 knot crosswind from the left. Should I not have expected RPM, airspeed, oil temps & pressures or fuel pressure, unexpected noises, vibrations or smells, I will close the throttle and stop on the runway. Should I have an engine failure after take off with runway remaining, I will lower the nose to 62 knots and land on the runway. Should I have an engine failure with no runway remaining below 800 feet INDICATED I will maintain 62 knots and land ahead. There's a field which may be suitable slightly to the left. If I have an engine failure above 800 feet indicated I will maintain 70 knots flapless glide speed, make a left turn and return to the field." It only takes a short time, it can be done while waiting for the temperature to rise before run ups.

Matt, here are CIGARS and other generic ones which can be used for various types with a bit of thought.

ROARS – after start (and pre-shut down)

Revs set, Oil (pressure rising after start up), amps checked, radios on, switches as required.

CIGARS – run ups.

Controls full, free, correct

Instruments checked left to right, top to bottom

Gas – on, sufficient, pressure, tanks as required, primer locked.

Attitude trims set

Run ups

Switches (as required)

Lights, Camera, Action – line up

Lights/strobes on

Transponder on alt

Action – power on, do checks and get airborne without hanging around on the runway.

I’ve also heard people use FIST for a line up check.

Fuel pump on

Instruments checked

Strobes on

Transponder to Alt.

FROST – after landing

Flaps identified and retracted, fuel pump off

Radio - tune to SMC or make calls as required (SAR etc). Revs set.

Oil – monitor temps/pressures

Switches – strobe/landing light off, navaids off. (Also a reminder for SAR if not by radio).

Transponder – standby

All good stuff, but how many checks do you do and when. There are some things I check which I have never seen on checklists and I think they are essential. One is pre shutdown to check mags.

i have never heard of a line up check before, i have all those one in the run up/pre take off checks, the only check i do when rolling is engine RPM and temps and pressures. all other engine vitals are done during the runup, things like generator/alternator charging, vacuum pressure etc, followed by transponder on ALT, radios etc then move off to the runway.

Transpoders should only go on as you enter the runway thats why they are in the line up. One I have been tought in floats that will get you out of trouble if you forget everything else is as you line up... Fuel Flaps and Rudders (ok you don't need water rudders with landies)

i have never heard of a line up check before, i have all those one in the run up/pre take off checks, the only check i do when rolling is engine RPM and temps and pressures. all other engine vitals are done during the runup, things like generator/alternator charging, vacuum pressure etc, followed by transponder on ALT, radios etc then move off to the runway.

Its a GA thing for controlled airports\airspace, switch Transponder from SBY to ALT on lineup, transmitting modes 3 and C , which is a 4 digit code and altitude.

John Deakins columns are always worth a read. The pity is that Avweb have changed their format and I havn't seen John Deakin in print for ages. There are still a couple of good regular columns appearing. one on general flying and one on maintenance. They are all aimed at the GA end of flying but relevant to ultralights. Have a look at avweb.com

Getting back to answering the original question.............

In the Skylark which I fly alot, I do my checks from memory only.

In the Sportstar which I don't fly so often it is all done by a printed check list.