Human Factors exam

Guest briansmallman

Guest briansmallman

I heard from one of the schools that "The new RAA operations manual effective 1/8/08 contains a requirement for all RAA pilots to pass a Human Factors exam.

This requirement is effective immediately for the issuance of new RAA pilot certificates and current RAA pilots must obtain a pass in this subject within 2 years." I haven't heard this one before have I missed something serious here?

I have a full PPL as well as an RAA do I have to do this HF as well?

Brian

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not necessarily so as Human Factors is in the GA PPL exam and is a study item or atleast it is in more recent time. I did mine some 5 years ago and there were several human factor questions. You'd need to check with RA-Aus and confirm if a PPL covers you for this component. If you do and you find out either way, please post the details here! It would be a bit rude if you had to do it again. I can fly a 14 seat Cessna Caravan 208B on a PPL but can't fly a Jabiru without this exam 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

Guest pelorus32
I heard from one of the schools that "The new RAA operations manual effective 1/8/08 contains a requirement for all RAA pilots to pass a Human Factors exam.This requirement is effective immediately for the issuance of new RAA pilot certificates and current RAA pilots must obtain a pass in this subject within 2 years." I haven't heard this one before have I missed something serious here?

I have a full PPL as well as an RAA do I have to do this HF as well?

Brian

G'day Brian,

as I understand it CASA are of the view that HF is not up to scratch in the PPL/CPL area. I believe that the RAAus initiative is seen as the way of the future.

CASA are planning an increase in HF from next year in the PPL/CPL area. See here:

Media release - Pilots to be taught critical thinking skills

Regards

Mike

Guest airsick

Further to what Mike said I have checked with the powers that be and PPL holders do have to sit the exam regardless of when they passed their PPL. CPL and higher are exempt.

I did my course with Brett (YLIL) a couple of months ago and it has actually helped my flying. The risk management side of the human factors course should be taught before the first solo.

It's very basic but the content needs to be stated.

Gibbo

PERSONALY i thought it was crap!!!!

That is the reason for it. We have a huge number of worthless parasites who have wasted their time doing meaningless pseudo courses. The pressure to harrass the population not only provides them with a good income but more importantly makes them feel they have some value.

Expect more of it and not only in Aviation

The RAA flight training system needs to be more regulated than it currently is. The variation in quality of instructors is mindnuming. 'caveat emptor'

Inbound (Ballarat) has a 'high quality' theory instructor. I dont know if he is running HF courses yet.

Gibbo

I haven't heard this one before, have I missed something serious here?

Yes, we all have.

What we missed here was any form of consultation or discussion period as to whether we needed or wanted an additional course and test of this size and intensity, just to fly around day VFR in ultralights?

As I've said before, I'm not totally against the concept of the program, I just think that it IS just common sense, and as such should be explained 'in passing' as part of the normal instructing of airmanship.

If we cant keep control of all this additional crap, we will end up with things like courses in 'Revisionary log-book Notation'. 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif

Arthur.

I think the problem is that common sense is not so common these days. Most of us are on the wrong side of 50 and grew up with plenty of input about our behaviour and attitudes from teachers and family members. These days I don't think it happens too much. Shame really.

regards

:big_grin::big_grin:

I bought the Bob Tait book Human Performance & Limitations.

Didn't think I needed it either until I got distracted in the pre-flight, forgot to dip the oil then, fortunately with instructor, encountered my first carb ice case when about to turn final.

A lot of scrambling to fix the problem and a very red face!

Guest High Plains Drifter
Just gave an example of where it can fit in

Yeah, I dunno turboplanner. Perhaps your example is more of a basic machinery operation learning experience that is best covered by your instructor (and BAK) A check list is a helpfull tool until it becomes second nature.

And the rough running engine in flight problem solving memory aid is.... ?

HPD, remember we are talking about Human Factors - I did say I was normally meticulous - the case had nothing to do with learning machinery operation, checklists or BAK.

It's covered under the heading "Diverted Attention" in Bob Tait's book Human Performance and Limitations which I mentioned earlier.

The training material uses real life history and actual cases and my point was that the exam could save the life of even an experienced pilot. In fact, in the section "Accidents versus experience" the training material concludes with "So you see, no matter how many hours you have in your log book, or whatever type of aircraft you fly, there's no guarantee that your next operational decision will be a good one!"

Yes, we all have.What we missed here was any form of consultation or discussion period as to whether we needed or wanted an additional course and test of this size and intensity, just to fly around day VFR in ultralights?

As I've said before, I'm not totally against the concept of the program, I just think that it IS just common sense, and as such should be explained 'in passing' as part of the normal instructing of airmanship.

If we cant keep control of all this additional crap, we will end up with things like courses in 'Revisionary log-book Notation'. 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif

Arthur.

Arthur

pretty well summed up. Who comes up with this type of thing? new generation regulators finding ways to justify their position and increase revenue, or the Instructors Co Op.

Ozzie

dunno about the instructors co-op.. There's no flying needed, and the test can be easily passed after reading a half inch booklet.. So what do instructors get out of it?? the pleasure of your company for 10 minutes while you sit an exam.. Or perhaps peace of mind that you have given at least some thought to the most complex bit of gear in any acft cockpit??....Stop whinging about it, borrow the book off a mate if 20 bucks is to steep for you.. do the exam, i know its an insult to you old timmers with all the experiance in the world and already know evrything, and are far to experianced to be caught out by anything so basic as human factors...(now where's that tounge in cheak icon gone?)

Guest High Plains Drifter
i know its an insult to you old timmers

Motza, methinks you have missed pylon500s reference to common sense 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Motza - Its not about instructors YET.

The chain goes:

Academics producing theory and publishing it (promotion)

Consultants teaching it (often the academics)

Empire starts in public service (CASA in this case)

Gullible people believe it and help propagate it

Hey Presto! a new industry

Motza - Its not about instructors YET. The chain goes:

Academics producing theory and publishing it (promotion)

Consultants teaching it (often the academics)

Empire starts in public service (CASA in this case)

Gullible people believe it and help propagate it

Hey Presto! a new industry

And People Keep Dying because of "Pilot Error" due to "Human factors"

What do you guys suggest is the answer?

question.gif.c2f6860684cbd9834a97934921df4bcb.gif

And People Keep Dying because of "Pilot Error" due to "Human factors"What do you guys suggest is the answer?

question.gif.c2f6860684cbd9834a97934921df4bcb.gif

In short: There is no answer! All the tests in the world will not improve human factors or airmanship. At the end of the day it's basically up to the individual. And I would not go as far as to say "the individual's common sense" because from my observations as a TV news cameraman in a former life and now a flying padre common sense is not all that common. So I'll say it's up to the individual to use uncommon sense!

A lot of posts seem to indicate that the HF training and sample questions haven't been looked at.

MozartMerv put it very bluntly and it is only a small book to read; sometimes you have to have the guts to accept that you may make the odd tiny error now and again.

Ozzie, I went through 20 years of GA flying where instructors and thought I knew all about airmanship, but in RAA flying have learned more new things in the last 12 months than in that time, probably because I've got three of the most outstanding instructors you could ever wish for.

I also think airmanship and human factors are two different subjects.

I would see airmanship as flying a tight circuit so you can always glide down, keeping the nose down on takeoff to gain that extra 5 kts before climbing, shallow turns when the nose is up and the speed is low, indientifying wind direction and strength rather than landing downwind etc.

Human Factors include understanding physiology to decide when you shouldn't fly, maximise ability to see other aircraft, scan instruments, understand disorientation, depth perception, G loads, Hypoxia, sensory memory, short term memory, performance vs the arousal curve.

They also include such behaviours as the false hypothesis (cause of the world's worst aviation accident), diverted attention, effects of motor memory, (pilot of a light twin was asked to make the best possible speed on approach to assist in traffic separation. He obliged by retrcating the undercarriage and increasing the approach speed. He then proceeded to land with the gear still up)

It covers methods to cope with stress, fatigue, and so on.

(I'm quoting from the Bob Tait book here).

Friarpuk, I agree with you that tests will not solve the problem - I get very nervous at time when I realise the airline captain missed 20% of the answers, but sound training and absorbing that material does; your observations as a TV news cameraman are also interesting - we often use the term commonsense in the aftermath of an accident when the cause is very obvious, but take the case of the farmer who crosses the rail line every day for 30 years and knows the train comes through at 4.30 pm then gets hit - why did it happen? The answer is in your HF training material....