Flight safety magazine, who reads?

Do you receive the Flight safety magazine?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Do you receive the Flight safety magazine?

• Yes
    • No

just a quick poll to see what percentage of pilots here read the Bi-monthly Flight Safety Magazine

as i am planning on a series of threads in the training forums based on this magazine..

it doesnt matter if you dont, as what i have planned is of benefit to all pilots and aircraft owners/operators.

Guest High Plains Drifter
Flight safety magazine, who reads?

Well, 'bold' pilots dont really read it much at all.......

Yep, receive, read and recommend it. This magazine is distributed to the registered owner/operator of all VH registered aircraft...maybe RA-Aus should look at getting in on the act and distributing it to members.

.maybe RA-Aus should look at getting in on the act and distributing it to members.

It's not hard to be put on the mailing list...

I've been getting them for a couple of yrs now, and I just rang up and asked them to put me on the mailing list, and they did!

I love reading them, especially the close shave storys:thumb_up: and recommend them to averyone...

Just put an application in for an ARN, it's free and put's you on the mailing list as well...

Yep. I get it. Only been on the mailing list a short time and have received the last two editions. From memory the latest RAA mag has a CASA advertisement encouraging members to add themselves to the mailing list via online or phone.

There was also a thread here some time ago discussing the same.

PS: see bottom of P50 in latest RAA mag.

Do you have to oreder it, or does it come once you've done your PPL?

It should come to you if you have an, Aviation Reference Number (ARN), which you require for a PPL...

Thanks for the link John, just saved to my favourites.[was going to subscribeto casa] A lot off good articles to be read.

Brilleintsite is the raa, and great to see they have not changed the web format but always updating information, really should use the site more.

Who ever done all that great work should give them self a pat on the back, job well done.

Have the CASA Flight Safety Australia webpage on my bookmarks so In get it and read it bi-monthly.

I dont think it is automatic. Have had an ARN for >12 months but no magazine.

Strange - I got my ARN and the magazine just started arriving. I wasn't expecting it to, because I'd heard you had to ask for it.

stats

Once or twice a year the magazine publishes incident stats which are fascinating looking at the aircraft types and types of incidents like running out of fuel etc.

Also looks at deaths comparing them to previous years.

The info in the mag is probably a good vehicle for RA Aus to advertise as it gets to a wide audience.

I was answering "No" to the question "do you receive the safety digest"

I was not voting against the safety digest - quite the contrary if I was asked that question.

Having only received it automatically from CASA when I was doing my GA flying many years ago, I assumed that it was only available to GA pilots.

The few copies that I have read in my early days had some very interesting articles in them which I still recall. One was the recent story in the Pacific Flyer with a New Guinea setting which had a different slant on it in the original departmental version.

Another one was a light plane having an engine failure some distance from a good paddock near Camden I think. The pilot immediately pulled flaps and as a result the plane landed short into timber with fatalities.

I have an aviation reference number ARN which is used as my identifier that is needed to have an account with the Publications Unit of Airservices Australia.

I gave them my RAAus pilot certificate number to serve as my ARN.

The CASA website below has a large selection of publications concerned with safety which can be had for the price of the postage.

http://casa.cart.net.au/cat/2030076.html

Regards

Does anyone know when the next one is due, I have just asked to be added to the mailing list

I just received mine last week, so the next one won't be due until May I think...

But if you feel like it, you can actually ring them up and ask them to send out the last issue(s), for free...

Well I did when I first signed up anyway, a few yrs back...

• 1 year later...

A top class magazine, but lately it has had a lot of human factors sort of stuff of more relevance to airline pilots than us. I have read it for about 40 years, can't remember if it still has the same name as originally, but I look forward to it and find it useful.