Why do lots of people dislike jabirus

Guest Pioneer200

Yes, it was a ripper... but i have to disagree, its not holden and fords.. comparing jabs its just holdens vs the rest..;)

I have come to a conlusion Merv, your above post is actualy neutral, because on one hand you praise the good old holden and then you mention jabakanga's so the later cancels out the first;)

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dropped into the Jab factory a litle while ago and they were stripping down a few engines that had problems.

The biggest cause of failure seemed to be from using car engine oil instead of aero engine oil. One engine was on its third rebuild and Jab could not convince the owner to use the correct oil.031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

Another engine had well over 1000 hours and apart from lower compressions, it could have run for several hundred more.

I have also seen a 912 that failed very early in its life and was due to the same problem, overheating and wrong oil.

Don't know if there is a pattern emrging here?006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Guest brentc

The pistons are custom made for Jabiru. ACG perhaps is the manufacturer? (it's one of the most common manufacturers of pistons in Australia) Same goes with the valves, custom made in the UK.

PS: I have 6 spare pistons with only 400 hours on them if anyone wants to buy them!

Whilst I'm not disagreeing with the previous poster I find it hard to believe that anyone would use auto oil in their Jabiru engine - more than once as well!

Guest ozzie

Bit like religion this thread is.

"my imaginary friend is better than your imaginary friend" sort of thing

What a great topic. Seriously though, when it all comes down to it, everyone knows that only jab pilots go to Miramar... 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Gees another coincidence, in topgun at Mirimar there was a crash envolving engine flameout and there has been a few Jabiru engine powered aircrafts having the same issue;)

Talk to me...

Guest Cloudsuck
Gees another coincidence, in topgun at Mirimar there was a crash envolving engine flameout and there has been a few Jabiru engine powered aircrafts having the same issue;)Talk to me...

Yeah and plenty of Rotax 503 / 582 ;)

Guest Maj Millard

The old 503 and 582 don't have anything to prove, or be ashamed of, they were propelling us way before the Jab came along, and they're still going strong, flew one the other day, LOVE em', and also my 912 which runs fine on auto oil................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

and also my 912 which runs fine on auto oil................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I hope not! The gearbox won't last long!

I think he was referring to auto fuel weren't you Maj?! Just you called it oil to confuse 'em!

Guest Crezzi

With the exception of the relatively recent addition of Aero Shell Sport Plus 4 ALL the approved oils for Rotax 912 are auto/motorcycle AFAIK.

John

Guest brentc

VERY interesting comment Peter, I've NEVER heard anything like that before of the factory or Rod. I'd rate their customer service when you are there as 120% and about 90% over the phone.

I'd have to agree with Brent here. When I went there a few months ago Rod couldn't do enough for me. He showed me around the factory and spent a lot of time with me going over details of an aircraft I am looking at. Just listening to him talk to other staff there about aircraft issues made me more than aware that he knows his stuff and I would have no hesitation in buying an aircraft from Jabiru.

I've only heard good things from others also.

Maybe she turned off the master switch accidently?:

Michaud started the plane up, but decided not to try to fly it.

"I don't know what happened to it, but I wasn't too sure about taking it up," Michaud said.

Guest watto

I cannot agree either, Rod Stiff is one of natures gentlemen! the service both pre sale and after sale has been exceptional and never any issues or reservations from them in relation to warranty claims.

It was the lack of hard sell and the manner in which I was simply shown the product and the product was allowed to sell it's self that actually helped me decide, the fact that I am given free range of the factory when I go there and am even offered use of an office and internet, lunch room facilties! very professional outfit.

Jamie and Neil the test pilot are a couple of very helpful lads as well, cannot do enough for you and will answer in detail any technical question.

Watto

Guest davidburge

Down here we call Jabs a...holes, because everyone has one and they like to keep them polished:censored:

Guest Maj Millard

CREZZI has obviosly kept up to date with the latest Rotax Service bullitens, but it doesn't sound like the rest of you have. Specifically SI 912 016 R1 (April 07 2008), oils that can be used, and those that now can't.

Deals with either use with Avgas or auto fuel. The oil that I have chosen is Valvolene Durablend and is a synthetic blend AUTO oil. Several of my customers have gone to it, and everybody including myself are very happy with ................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Brentc and Tomo...you both fail this time.

Jab

My two bobs worth is having flown over 50 hours in Jabs as pilot both early and late models, also J160s and 230`s I have not had a hint of an engine failure but am all too aware of the failures out there and that is a bit of a bogey sitting on the shoulder of any pilot learning or buying.

The value for money can not be argued with and they are evolving. The very early cessnas (I have learnt recently) such as 140`s ETC were dogs to fly and land with design imperfections in empanagge etc so perhaps we need to give the JAB peole more time to perfect it. The 120 from all accounts is the best design yet from all accounts but I have not flown it ...yet!

Flap controls and throttles that require you to be a contortionist have never made sense to me and getting rid of them has been a sign of hope, they say coformity is the greatest freeedom and perhaps the changes are widening the appeal especially the J230, it is an excellent plane and much easier to land and handle than the smaller, lighter early aircraft that are prone to drifting crosswind on final and landings if you were not on the ball. That why they make you a better pilot than learning in other RA and GA planes.

The finish and accessories and instruments have always been on the cheap and unreliable side breaking down regularly in my experience ,,never ending flat tyres, poor radios etc doesnt help their cause. They are a good looking plane though dont you think?

Personally I like something a bit heavier, faster and bigger and with a regular proven aircraft engine but there will always be a market for cheap items. Put a 120 horse lycoming or continental in the J230 and you will have a pretty good plane. Add some decent foot brakes and well,...... lookout!