Why do lots of people dislike jabirus

Guest Pioneer200

Guest Ken deVos
And remember, all engines have there on personality ;-) I had a jaguar once, you had to swear at it before it started.....

Don't you have to do that with all pommy cars?

I had an Austin Lancer in my youth that, when the battery was flat and the trusty crank handle was needed, if it didn't fire on the first attempt, I had to race down to the tram stop to get to work on time.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And remember, all engines have there on personality ;-) I had a jaguar once, you had to swear at it before it started.....

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif 006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif - reminds me of an old Mazda 929 with a rotary engine that I had :yuk:

Guest ozzie

I had an old morrie 1000 a few years ago and the battery died and i just hand cranked it for about a year untill i got another battery for it. hot starts could be the drama.

stalled it at a set of lights once. very cool i went to the boot unclipped the handle and went round to the front and gave it a crank then put the handle back in it's place in th boot and calmly dove off with every one behind me freaking out. ha ha

Mine plays up even though the mod has been done to the earth. It just will not crank fast enough without a bit of help. Take the Odyssey out of its steel case and it will be slightly better. I turn the plane so that the sun shines in on the battery to warm it, that sometimes helps.

i have no idea how the carby heat effects the starting, it just does! maybe the air flows through the carby a little faster without the filters taking in more fuel, or just changing the air/fuel ratio just enough to get it to fire... who knows...

Guest Walter Buschor

Who cares why we like Jabirus or Technams!

We like the planes we fly because they give us enjoyment. That's all there is to it. We fly what we fly because we can afford it - whatever that is. It is true that many Jabs are for sale with few hours on the airframe and an engine with even less hours. Makes you wander what happened.

I had a ride in a Jab and came away impressed. The Jabiru sells like hot cakes because it IS value for money and will allow people to own a plane that otherwise could not. There are many absolutely beautiful new designs out there but most cost an arm and a leg. Recreational flying is about affordable flying and the enjoyment we all have from it. If bragging rights are required than GA will take care of it.

safe flying

Dunno.

I don't know if GA has much to do with bragging rights. Certainly there are much more possibilities (right up to a corporate jet or your own private Mustang). The thread brings out some valid opinions ( and some invalid ones) that might assist some out there to make up their minds about these aircraft. The perfect aeroplane will never be built and we all have differing expectations of what we want from aviation.ie. there are people who will spend years building and a lot of them are in SAAA and the majority of their aircraft will be under VH registration (ie. GA but not really GA as the average person understands GA.) The attitude of many of these builders would be very similar to our own and there would be much in common. There is a lot of similarity with the Jab. vs others to the Holden/ Ford thing so I let a lot of that go through to the keeper. Good criticism and reasoned analysis is healthy. Anyone who buys a Jabiru and expects to be a rugged individualist would have to find some very inspired mods that are allowed/ needed/ worthwhile. This is a consequence of the fact that there are lots of them, a success story in itself. Renault used to advertise "50 million Frenchmen can't be wrong". Make your own judgement about that. I don't mind admitting that I have advised (when asked) quite a few people that a Jab should be a serious consideration. They are not for everybody, no aeroplane is. Nev

Guest Ken deVos

Despite the love/hate biases for any aircraft as expressed (with mirth) here on the forum, a telling sign as to the 'acceptability of the breed' is the number you find in flying schools throughout the country.

Probably more to do with better cost margins than anything else. However, private owners with deep pockets can perhaps afford to ignore the margins.

Centre stick.

It is not the only aircraft that has one. Locating the control yoke/stick can cost a lot of money and obstruct entry /exit of the cockpit and add weight. It has to be quite strong and reliable as well. I don't like it myself, but I understand why it is employed. Many things are a compromise in an aircraft especially when it is built to a price and a serious weight restriction. Just my thoughts Nev.

Regarding carb heat and choke - Jabirus dont bypass the air filter when carb heat is applied, if anything the air will be a little more restricted as it comes up from the exhaust cuff

JR