Turns or Turning.

There are plenty of students and low hr pilots here and they mangle plenty of broadcasts and I mangle a few occasionally too. That dosen't bother me in the slightest, its the half smart tools that wind me up.

Mmm yeah! Like mine the other day.... (gee I'm not forgiving myself am I)

When we went to Sydney a yr or two ago people would ask, "you from the country?" Guess so I would say... "thought so" (Bit like hearing a computer on fast forward.) I couldn't work out for a while why people thought that (unless it was the black Jeans and checkered flannelette shirt with boots and hat that did it?? Just kidding!)

Apparently we talk slower I was told.

There is a difference between talking fast and understandable, or talking slow and not understandable. I'm not sure what I am yet, because I never radio myself...

yeah you can get finnicky about calls, but have you ever listened to Melbourne centre or any of the area frequency's..Pretty much everyone sais 'Gday"..Non standard? yes..A problem to aviation? no..

If i can get a clear picture of what someone is doing in a cct, then i feel safe and dont get concerned about it...Its when the calls arent actually clear and i dont know what someone is doing or where they are that the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Hows this for a call

Few months ago I was inbound to Caloundra, I distinctly heard

"Helicopter XXX any conflict Caloundra" No other call was made.

There was a Helicopter refueling when I got there, may have been him.

Thinking about it afterwards it wasn't a BAD call as any aircraft in the area would have called in position etc. but not what we have been trained to do.

I dont use the third person radio calls but this does not bother me in the slightest, I am much more concerned by the private conversations between aircraft that I occaisionaly hear. Far from being a gen y thing the 3rd party call seems to be an old timer thing like "Stations xxxxxxx"

I mangled a few the other day in my attempts to avoid saying "Wunway wun eight" (I think my FI was wondering what the h*ll was wrong with me! I was too to be honest...)

Next time your in Syd, i will have to take you for a few Circuits at Bankstown, if your lucky, we will get Runway 11R.

now try saying that one fast!

"jabiru 9999, ready runway one one right for circuits"

"Remos 1111, ready runway one one right for circuits"... hmm, i might have to see if i can get a Remos now and head to bankstown with my instructor.....024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Make your FI do it first and see if he succeeds 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

(alternatively, practice it at home, then if your FI messes it up you can show off how awesome you are by saying it flawlessly)