Turns or Turning.

I was at an airfield today near Jaspers. The circuit was pretty busy. To my dissmay every single radio call given by other acft was given in the third person. "xxx turns base, xxx enters and rolls, xxx backtracks, so on and so on. I was ropeable by the time we left.

Be honest, who uses this gibberish??:Annie:

Guest mike_perth

Darky is that a pic of you in your avatar??

If it is, I pictured you as a completly different person!! I have a strange habbit of putting a face to a name even though Ive never met them and yours was way off!

Ive met Brett and Jay from the forum and I had them pretty much accurate btw!

P.S. Im not some crazy stalker who seeks out ppl on the internet Im happily married and fairly "normal"

Mike

While I don't condone it, and understand correct terminology is very important.

I Guess on the positive and at least be thankful that

their radio calls were clear and precise enough that you could actually hear what was said and thus understand their intent. - better than garble, static or no calls at all.

At least he had a radio 075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif

Guest Walter Buschor

I agree with tracktop,

better garble or rubbish than nothing at all. Having said that they no longer teach maths in school and english is on the way out too.

And don't pick on the poor bugger !! He never learnt to speak properly and probably cannot pull up his pants either. And don't forget he probably wears his cap backwards or sideways.

as for the rest of us keep making radio calls as usual

safe flying

Walter

more tea vicar

I agree - any gibberish is better than none at all

On the subject of what, how, when a 'call' is made - what is the correct way (do you think)to say, what was said - incorrectly ???????????????????????

thanks

JM

This poster doesn't know what your all on about...:big_grin:

Its when they radio like they are on the ground watching an aircraft turn/taxi/take off etc... in the 'third person' or Like someone said a radio commentary to somebody else.

"Jabiru xxx turns base" that would be alright if you where on the ground telling somebody on the ground, but when you are the 'it' "Jabiru xxx turning base" is the correct way of putting it. Other wise you may as well have somebody else do your radio calls for you.

Hope that helps

Rob, it wasn't one acft, it was all of them. 6 or 7 acft, GA and RAA. I was disappointed my RAA brothers were doing it too. Next time im there, i will lands, taxies, jumps out, finds an offending pilot, and slaps him with a glove. hehe

Darky is that a pic of you in your avatar??If it is, I pictured you as a completly different person!! I have a strange habbit of putting a face to a name even though Ive never met them and yours was way off!

Yeah, tis me Mike

Although now I'm wondering what you imagined me to look like... 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

And it's not only "turns" instead of "turning".

You hear all sorts of mangled calls, and what makes it worse is there's often an instructor in the plane! The format and content of calls is very clearly set out in the various documents, surely it's not too hard to follow. And we use standard terminology and formatting for a reason - so we can make sense of a message even if it's a bit distorted or whatever, or if we were distracted when it started. There is absolutely no reason why instructors at least shouldn't teach proper radio calls :hittinghead:.

Some of my faves are not giving intentions (taxi, entering runway), saying "all stations" when you mean "traffic", ending with "traffic XXX" instead of "XXX" and the list goes on .......

Maybe I'm just getting pedantic in my old age, but there's such a thing as professionalism .....

If you come from YHSM, you could probably just whistle into the mike, and if it just happened that someone was inbound, he could work it out, so I understand your point of view, but:

If someone from YHSM comes to town where radio transmissions can be virtually continuous, with a percentage of over-transmissions thrown in, and that person isn't up to scratch with correct procedures there can be safety issues.

Similarly where an aircraft's radio is on the way out, its altitude is low, or atmospheric conditions are bad, the transmission may come across as not much more than a string of sylllables.

When flying regularly our subconscious picks up on the syllables and helps our hearing decipher the message.

Also GraemeK makes an important point - there's no second 'traffic" at the end because you've already addressed your transmission to them rather than "area"

"All Stations" was superseded a long time ago, but one of the problems we face is that Dotars doesn't provide (a) a single updated searchable Regulation document

(b) a searchable change history

The reason? "All Stations Dalby" is addressed to all the people flying in or transitting though the wider area, and can be distracting for pilots with a high workload, where "Dalby Traffic" refers to the aircraft involved with the airfield.

For people who want to lift their professionalism there is an excellent CD called "Flight Radio for Pilots" sold for about $35.00 by Aviation Theory Centre.

It also covers microphone techniques such as starting to talk without pressing the button, releasing ttoo soon, mouth too close, too far away, speaking too fast etc. with the appropriate sounds that the other pilot hears.

The third person thing on the radio gives me the irrits too. Also grimaceworthy is the machine gun delivery ending with a single sylable abreviation of the location that is spoken so quickly thet it sounds like a single letter.

I was sitting here the other day contemplating starting just the same thread as this. What I was going to ask is, Does anyone have a ripper of a one liner to stop these idiots in thier tracks.

I did hear a story about a bushie who came into Brisbane and was having trouble with an ATC speaking too quickly and after two or three repeats, he gave up and said in a slow outback drawl "This is how fast I talk and this is how fast I listen, if you want to talk to me your'e gunna hafta slow right down", It supposedly got the desired effect.

There is one guy near here who speaks so fast that I defy anyone to actually hear what he says. I'd love a one liner to point out to him that his transmissions are completely unreadable and that he is a prise f_wit for using a radio like that anyway. Any offers???

BTW, I wasn't aware that calls should end with "place name" rather than "traffic "placename"". Thanks for the heads up, here is one more pilot who won't be getting up GraemeK's nose.

Cheers, Qwerty

R/T Discipline.

All the points listed about why "standard" phrases and slow clear speech are needed, are valid... Cowboy pilots think it is "cool" or something. Has our standard of english and our self discipline, deteriorated that much, or is this a "generation Y" thing? It all results in a lower safety standard... Nev

All the points listed about why "standard" phrases and slow clear speech are needed, are valid... Cowboy pilots think it is "cool" or something. Has our standard of english and our self discipline, deteriorated that much, or is this a "generation Y" thing? It all results in a lower safety standard... Nev

I don't think anyone can claim this is a "Gen Y" thing (for one thing, I'm Gen Y and I sound perfectly normal on the radio 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif), there's stupid people out there of every age i_dunno

I was thingking about just asking him to say again, as many time as is neccessary for me to be able to understand him, I guess he will eventually get the idea.

There are plenty of students and low hr pilots here and they mangle plenty of broadcasts and I mangle a few occasionally too. That dosen't bother me in the slightest, its the half smart tools that wind me up.

Mangling isn't bad, everyone knows they mangle some occasionally (unless you're a 'Top Gun' tool who is clearly perfect all the time *sarcasm*) - I mangled a few the other day in my attempts to avoid saying "Wunway wun eight" (I think my FI was wondering what the h*ll was wrong with me! I was too to be honest...)

The thing that really gets up my nose is when two pilots decide to have a personal chat without changing frequencies...excuse me for wanting to be able to tell people where I am in the circuit! 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

Turns or Turning

All a storm in a tea cup really..........who cares........thumb_down

As long as calls are short and precise (and please not on all 4 corners) is all that counts.

As for professionalism, well, peer pressure fixes that up pretty quick........

What I find interesting is that some are pretty quick to to pick up on radio calls, but you watch them same dudes fly a circuit.......teaching someone to fly a circuit 2 or more miles out is laughable.