Hey, Darky, how's the flying going?

flying dog

Sorry if there is a thread for this already, but I've lost it.

Anyway, just thought I would ask how things are going with putting in the hours?

How are the landings going?

Ready to go back to uni'?

Hiya flying dog!

A whole thread just about me 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

The hours are going well, up to 31.5 with 0.8 PIC 016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif Need to get 3.0 PIC before we can ditch the circuit and go out to the training area but hopefully I should get some solo time in each mission so by early Feb I'll have the 3.0 :big_grin:

The landings are progressing nicely. All unassisted and my last solo one was the smoothest landing I've done in a while. I've noticed some change in my mental approach to landing, previously I got to base/final and starting thinking 'oh no, it's time to land, I wonder what I mess up this time' and basically just freaking myself out about it but now I'm thinking 'ok, it's time to land, let's do this thing! 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif'. If it turns out to be a slightly crap landing, well I'll just have to fix it the next time around. I'm getting better at judging how far above the runway we are too, amazing what a little bit extra height from a cushion can do! I still need to work on my rudder control both during and after landing, a few of my solo landings have been a bit swervy...

Ready to go back to uni? Nope! Luckily I still have a month and a bit to prepare for the shock (5 months seemed like such a long holiday, where has it all gone?!) 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

It is good to hear things are coming on good.

It seems "strange" that you have such a high dual time and low solo, but I guess it is for the better.

It is also good you have changed how you "approach" the landings and have found a better way to think of them.

Keep having fun.

Enjoy.

:)

The reason it took me so long to go solo was that it took me ages to get the hang of landings. Eventually we worked out that I might be sitting too low to get the right perspective on flare (I didn't know what I should be seeing so I thought I was seeing the right thing, which clearly wasn't the case - wish I wasn't so 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif short). We added a 3rd cushion (this one under me) and the mission after that I go solo. Connection? I reckon so :)

I'm not bothered though, I've got lots of good experience at correcting dodgy landings now :big_grin:

Well done with your flying Darky, its good that you have stuck it out.Alot of people probably would have given up.I reckon the seat cushion thing would have been the cause.Its a bit hard to judge flare, went you cant see out the windscreen. LOL cheers

Hey Darky,

Have you tried flying a J120? (does your flying school have one?)

I remember sitting in a J120, then a J160 at Narromine a couple of years back and had no headroom in the J120 and about 2-3 inches headroom in the J160.

Maybe the J120 is the answer for the less vertically endowed . . .

umpa lumpa, dumpaty do. I've got another puzzle for you.

Oh, sorry. Thinking of Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory.

Yeah, Darky, don't let the past bother you. It is good you stuck with it. When I fly a Gazzelle, I am packed to the rafters with pillows too.

When I started with Jabs the pillows were so annoying. Finally I went to Cark Rubber and got my own made and it made all the difference.

It isn't too expensive and it may be worth you looking at this. Then the cussions are yours and you know they work. Ofcourse they won't be that fancy, just large blocks.

Anyway, have fun.

I finally worked out how to look at the piccie of you standing beside the Jab. 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif Silly me.

You aren't much taller then me. The good thing with being short: You don't have to duck walking under the wings. :big_grin:

087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif

099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif

I think part of the problem was that my FI is a lot taller than me so he didn't really realise just how much I wasn't seeing...and I didn't realise how much I wasn't seeing because I didn't know I should be seeing it 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I don't really mind it took me longer, it's all good experience and I get to fly! The only thing is that now, whenever people ask me how long it took me to solo, some are always going to say "why'd it take you so long?!" :hittinghead:

You aren't much taller then me. The good thing with being short: You don't have to duck walking under the wings. :big_grin:

Alas I do...I'm short enough to have trouble reaching everything but tall enough that I manage to hit my head on the wings far too often...

How'd you work out how big to make your cushions? Just went to a lesson armed with a tape measure? I probably should get cushions made at some point but then I'd have to bother with carrying them all the time 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Have you tried flying a J120? (does your flying school have one?)

No, I haven't tried a J120, my school only has 160s. I've heard they are a bit kinder to the 'vertically challenged' though

Alot of people probably would have given up.

I've wanted to fly ever since I can remember, so there was no chance of that! And now I've gotten there, looking down the runway with the empty seat beside you and knowing that I'm about to take this aircraft into the air and fly it by myself...it's just fantastic and makes every single frustrating hour of dodgy landings completely worth it :big_grin:

Darky,

My second plane flying was a Jab "LSA". The cusions were done by the inital attempts with pillows, etc etc etc stuffed behind me and when it was about right, we guestimated the distance. I think it is about 4 inches front to back. (that's 10 cm) The other two sizes are to be just not quite as wide as the seat - easier access to the belt buckle etc. And up to about my shoulders.

Yeah, I know no neck support. I shall just have to hope no one ever runs into me from behind or I will/could get whip lash.

"Carrying" the cusions. As you are flying at the one school, couldn't you leave them there for now?

Ok, it will become a logistics problem in the future, but for the $20 it cost me, it was money well spent. No more getting the same cussions, etc and putting them in the same order and all that mucking about. I simply put the foam there and that's that.

You are lucky that you probably have better rudder authority than I do. THREE times in the J160 recently when I was away I had to shut down, un-strap, get out and manually move the plane.

REAL ANNOYING! But I'll live.

Honstly if you are as tall as you say, you really shouldn't need anything under you. I don't have anything and I am shorter than you.

Well, ok, I have a small pillow under my bot' only because without it, the angle from my bot' over the front of the seat to the pedals would put too much pressure on the underside of my legs and I'd get dead legs. But no real lift me up cussion/pillow/what ever.

Ok, it is a personal thing and I don't want to sound like I am telling you what to do. But how I "see" it is that I have good viz taxiing, and flying. If I put my hand above my head when sitting I have about 10 cm to the top of the cabin. I don't really want to be much closer than that.

In the Gazzelle, it is more like 2 cm. It is tight.

It would be nice to know what your perspective is compared to mine.

How about I get my camera and take piccies of how I see things and send them to you and vice versa?

Just a thought.

Hi darky, it will feel funny/strange for a little while flying solo, then when the FI gets back in to continue your flying training your will feel the extra ballast on the a/c performance ha,ha, and want them out .LOL cheers

Dazza,

Yes you are correct. That is what happened to me too!

Darky,

Actually after the initial solo, subsequent solos I had to take a 50 L barrell of water as I didn't meet the minimum weight requirement for the plane.

But 50 L of water is 50 Kg. When the Instructor got back in, he was like 80 Kg. So the whole plane was imbalanced to what I was doing.

Ofcourse I was used to his weight as he is the one with whom I learnt. But still, it is another factor which affects how the plane handles.

I also noticed when I was up with someone else, turning base I nearly stalled as I was holding the nose up too long - used to being there by myself. The extra weight changed how the plane flies.

Don't worry.... All this talk is nothing to worry about. I am sure you will not have any problems. With all the extra time you have, you are sure to adapt to it better anyway.

I agree, it is odd to feel how different it is without the extra weight.

One thing I have to get used to is holding a slight bit of right aileron to counter the fact that all the weight is now on the one side. Right now I think I'm flying along slightly crookedly 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I'm wondering if the weight difference may be why I might be raising the nose slightly too early/too far on takeoff when solo - i.e. I'm used to having the extra weight there so need to move the stick back further to get the nose up when dual whereas when it's just me I don't need so much backpressure but I'm adding the usual amount so I'm raising the nose too high which is affecting my takeoff

I've also noticed that when I'm solo, I climb about 250ft when turning downwind, I need to work on fixing that too

FD: I'm wondering if, although I'm (apparantly) slightly taller (I'm 5'3 btw), you are slightly longer in the torso which is why you don't need the extra boost there (just a thought anyways)

Dunno Darky.

Oh, with the take off roll:

Ok, this is Gazzelle talk, but what I do is this:

Stick test, do the rounds to make sure all is clear. Then stick centre. Increase throttle and move stick back lightly. When resistance is felt, stop.

Leave stick there and plane takes off my itself.

Jab's are a bit different and I haven't found that "sweet spot" with the stick. Also because the jabs don't "self centre" the stick. (Annoying).

What is happening - IMO.

Engine idling, low speed air over elevators. No real effect.

Engine at full power, alot of air, and the elevators are held "straight" because. But they aren't set for "Straight and level" flight, they seem to be set for nominal climb.

What you could do with the Jab is hold the stick a wee bit foreward....

Ok, hang on. Before I get shot down.

Start the roll, hold back on the stick to reduce the weight on the front wheel - fair enough. But reduce the back pressure as you get faster as the plane will be slightly pitch up. Let it build up speed. Glance down at the ASI now and then. Wait for about 60 KTS on the dial. Then gently pull back a bit. Just a bit.

I am not doing a good job of explaining this. Please don't read this as gospel. Someone else may want to read this and translate it with better words.

You will be "bouncing along" on the rear wheels with little/no weight on the nose wheel. Maintain this until about 60 Kts and then start the climb. With a gentle pull back the plane will start to climb. Don't pull back any more, keep it there and let it get off the ground. Then pull back a wee bit more and get into the "real" climb out.

I think I had better stop there as it will be way too confusing and the last thing I want to do is confuse you more. I know takeoffs are important.

What you could do is when the instructor is there with you try some of what I have said - but don't tell him what you are doing, not to be rude but so you FEEL what is going on - and he is there incase things turn a bit sour. Not that I am saying they will/should.

Uless things are really going wrong, ask him to not say anything until you have got to 500 feet. Otherwise you are suddenly overwhelmed with all this stuff happening.

Let it happen. Right or "wrong" then he tells you "Yes, that was a good take off" or "what the &^%& was that?" kind of thing. Then you tell yourself, that is what is should look like, OR that is what it should NOT LOOK LIKE.

You have experianced it and know what it looks like through YOUR EYES.

I think that will go a long way to helping you with your take offs.

All the best.

Happy and safe flying.

Darky, something I think would be very worthwhile for you is to go down to RVAC Moorabbin, and jump in a Warrior for at least an hour.

With a new instructor, low wing aircraft, less power influence and more momentum, landing on a duty runway which will be into wind and so wide it seems to go on forever, and with the instructor handling the radio and deciding the positioning.

The experience will be quite different to what you've been doing in the jab, and will almost certainly make the good and bad points of your Jab flying much clearer to you, because I would expect that after the first landing you would be greasing the Warrior on time after time, and it will provide an excellent benchmark for you.

PS picked the Warrior because of low wing/ground effect comparison as well.

When I flew a new plane with another instructor for the first time, I asked him what speed do we 'lift' off at, and what speed does it usually stall (landing configuration) in this particular aircraft.

He said you don't need to know that anyway, just climb out at x speed, and approach at x speed... the aircraft will do the rest, (if you let it).

So get the nose off the ground asap, the plane will fly off when it's ready, keep near the ground until climb out speed is established, climb out. Same with landing, if you hold it off, it will touch down when it's ready, depending on the conditions also.

Tail wheel acft, get the tail up asap, once tail is up slowly ease back stick and it'll fly off when it's ready.

If you climb out at the correct IAS, the angle will just vary depending on load... If I'm by myself in the jab with minimal fuel, on a cool morning... it's the next thing to a rocket, climb out angle is pretty steep, (1000-1500 ft min)... If it it's a hot day at MTOW... it is a flat climb out at some sad climb rate... But the speed is the same...

So with just you in it, it may feel a lot steeper.

Just my thoughts anyway:big_grin:

Guest rocketdriver
umpa lumpa, dumpaty do. I've got another puzzle for you.

When I started with Jabs the pillows were so annoying. Finally I went to Cark Rubber and got my own made and it made all the difference.

It isn't too expensive and it may be worth you looking at this. Then the cussions are yours and you know they work. Ofcourse they won't be that fancy, just large blocks.

Anyway, have fun.

You can shape the pieces of foam using scissors and tehn glue the pieces together using "Gelfix" or equivelent and make a "booster seat" with back and bottom all in one. I made one for gliding, including lumber support, and then, Using unknown depths of charm and persuasion (HA HA) I persuaded my missus to make a cover for it using a cordury material too so it turned out to be quite luxurious ..... and not at all sweaty to use. Its still in the shed!

Hi Darky,

I am also vertically challenged, only about an inch taller than you, which is OK when flying a Texan as it has an adjustable seat, but when I fly the Gazelle I have a cushion under and behind. No science, just bought a couple and my wife put a cover over them so I can carry in one piece and just sling into the plane. Just gives a slightly better view over the nose, and allows better rudder/toe brake control.

WRT takeoff I agree with Tomo - keeping an eye on the ASI and horizon should allow you to climb out correctly - seems to work for me.

I also remember on my first couple of solos there was a big difference without my instructor - I weigh about 62/63 kilos, which is not a lot over the minimum weight, and he had warned me the Texan would climb very fast with only me in it! He was right! I was at circuit height in no time, and was 100ft+ above it almost without realizing! But after a short while it was easy to control with suitable anticipation of reaching the circuit height and then trimming - APPT - Attitude, Pause, Power, Trim. It's amazing what difference that trim makes!

You will get there, no worries, and who cares how long/short it takes? You are doing this for fun!

Fly Safe

Neil

I'm wondering if the weight difference may be why I might be raising the nose slightly too early/too far on takeoff when solo - i.e. I'm used to having the extra weight there

The seats in the J160 are actually slightly (not much, only 50mm or so) aft of the CofG so not likely to affect backpressure required to lift nose.

The seats in the J160 are actually slightly (not much' date=' only 50mm or so) [i']aft[/i] of the CofG so not likely to affect backpressure required to lift nose.

however while it is rolling along on the ground the rotation is around the main wheels so less weight forward of the wheels is a good explanation for
...why I might be raising the nose slightly too early/too far on takeoff when solo....

Of course, Darky may just be keen to get in the air.

Darky use whatever cushions you are comfortable with. Torso lengths do differ and preferences differ. Just be aware cushions compress a bit, I've flown plenty of time using phone books. OK, maybe a bit extreme, but I know you want to do aeros one day and cushions sure do compress when you start doing aeros. So if you do decide to get your own, you might want to consider higher density foam.

It sounds like you are working out your take offs and landings so I'll leave that up to you!!

Aircraft do tend to fly when they are ready and this will happen earlier at a lower weight, just make sure that you build up to flying speed (take off safety speed) before climbing away.