Whats the difference?

BigPete

Hi Slarti,

I read that the D was the 600kg MTOW modified one on their website somewhere. One thing I've learned with Jab is to never trust their publications 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif Also the J160C & D are both factory built, the J160 is the kit plane.

You can only go to 600kg if LSA.

This table is from another bit on the Jabiru website.

Factory Complete Aircraft Comparison

UL-D

J120

J160

J170

J230

Seats

Registration

RAA

RAA/VH

RAA/VH

RAA/VH

RAA/VH

Engine

2200cc

2200cc

2200cc

2200cc

3300cc

Fuel in wings

(except J120 begind the seats)

70 ltrs

65 ltrs

135ltrs

135ltrs

135ltrs

MTOW

450 kg

500 kg

540 kg

600 kg

600kg

The website appears to state in multiple places that only the 170 and 230 are LSA.

You're right about the info being inconsistent though.

Edit - that didn't cut and paste too well. Just read them in order.

I have it from a very reliable 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif source that the new J160D is the old J160C now built under the LSA rules. :ah_oh: This means that Jabiru can make modifications/improvements :thumb_up: with out the huge cost of re-certification under the "old" classification. :thumb_up:

I guess my J160C is now a collectors item. 018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif018_hug.gif.0182e32b48b2df8aaf412ac8488cf68a.gif

Ebay, here I come........:big_grin::big_grin:006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif

regards

:big_grin::big_grin:

when will they put the 6 cyl motor in the J170???

I had a close look at a very nice J160 with 3300 ccs sitting up the front visiting Leeton's Brobenah airstrip last year at a fly in for a couple of days.

I have a number photos if you are interested but not under the bonnet.

Rod Stiff told me in a personal phone call a few years ago that the 2200 and 3300 motors share the same engine mount.

If I remember correctly what was said by the pilot owner builder, it required a bit of restraint on the amount of throttle used on takeoff otherwise it tended to be rather vertical!clap.gif

Does it have standard J160 wings-I do not know. I would expect that it would have reduced fuel, luggage, passenger carrying capacity to be legal.

Guest basscheffers

Don't trust the Jabiru website for any figures; it is so full of outdated or contradicting or missing numbers and simply wrong information, it's not funny.

• 2 months later...
Hi Slarti,I read that the D was the 600kg MTOW modified one on their website somewhere. One thing I've learned with Jab is to never trust their publications 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif Also the J160C & D are both factory built, the J160 is the kit plane.

And consider this recent advice from RAAus:

"There are 3 different versions of the J170. The first two are:

An ultralight up to J170C but the later Cs were different. The early Cs and below had a MTOW of 544Kg. The late model Cs and the Ds were LSA so their MTOW is 600kg. Lastly there is an amateur kit version with a MTOW of 544Kg

So if the aircraft is a LSA (it has a Certificate of Airworthiness in LSA) the MTOW is 600kg. The rest are 455kg.

This also applies to the 160 and 120."

• 2 years later...

The J160C is certified in the Primary category, the J160D is LSA. Being primary category means the airworthiness has been certified by CASA, not the factory. So, if Jabiru went out of business and no other maker wanted to take on all the LSA Jabirus, the fleet of LSA Jabs would be grounded, but the primary category certified Jabs could keep flying.

This is part of the ticking time-bomb which is LSA. When there is no manufacturer to certify the airworthiness, the fleet is effectively out of the air leaving owners with the option of re-registering VH experimental or grounding the aircraft for good. Once you go VH Experimental, there's no going back, and the aircraft cannot be put on cross-hire.

LSA seemed like such a good idea at the time but wait until a few European manufacturers of LSA aircraft go under and see what happens to their fleets.

• Agree 1

Guest Error404

I wouldn't lose sleep over it, if Jabiru closed up someone would take over the LsA responsibilities. The j160c model is under 95.55 cost something like a $1mil to certify but the d model self certified, itother only way to keep costs down for the small manufacturers these days.