Fastest LSA?

Guest Howard Hughes

Guest Howard Hughes

Was just wondering which aircraft is the fastest (cruise not VMO) two place LSA? Also what do you consider to be the 'best looking' LSA? Very subjective I know, but would like to hear others comments on what are great looking aircraft!

Perhaps there are some new aircraft out there that I am yet to see.

Cheers, HH.:thumb_up:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lightning cruises about 120kts if I remember rightly, it looks pretty shmick, but it's a 'handle with care' type aircraft.

The Pioneer's cruise between 115-140kts or better (depending what type). They are one smart looking machine, I had a look at a "Sparrow'' yesterday, very nice machine! I'd get one any day. Solid but light.

Jabiru 230's cruise around 120kts, they are probably the most economical aircraft around for speed, space and endurance that you'll find I reckon, and they'll handle some reasonably rough places. They look nice too.

I'd say the Pioneer wins for me for best looks, the Hawk and Acro are a sweat machine.

Guest Howard Hughes

Thanks for the reply's so far, while looking for LSA's I came across the Speed 6000, not an LSA I know, but what a sweet looking machine!

Keep them coming!

Guest Howard Hughes
Built by a guy called Howard Hughes. No relation?

No relation, hope he doesn't mind I've stolen his name! :thumb_up:

Not the fastest - why the obsession with speed? - but the most beautiful plane of all time has to be the Piper Cub. Now available in LSA form as the Cubcrafter Sport Cub or American Legend Cub. There are some other Cub lookalikes around but they use Rotax & Jabiru engines - in a CUB??? What were they thinking of?

Europa XS Monowheel PerformanceCruise speed 8,000 ft 75 % pwr (Rotax 912 ULS) (TAS)140kts. Max cruise speed 10,000 ft (Rotax 914 UL Turbo)(TAS)174kts EUROPA-AIRCRAFT.COM

Hmmm... the thread did say "Fastest LSA" not fasted Ra-Aus. I wonder what cruise speed could be confirmed for 5000 feet?

• Agree 1

Guest Howard Hughes
Why the obsession with speed?

Because I would like to be able to tour around in an LSA!

Not only that faster aeroplanes tend to look better, not like flying boxcars!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Guest Howard Hughes

Europa performance certainly looks good, but not sure I want to be known as 'the guy with only one wheel'...006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Esqual looks good BlackRod, but can't seem to find a link for the 'Vapourous Shadow'!

I really like the Sting, good performance and good useful load!:thumb_up:

I had a read of Aveo site, After flogging all other LSA makers, they seem to have done the same except add a heap of smart electronics

AC looks great, but not sure where its a leap ahead of others which they criticise others for doing?

I must be missing something.

Have a look at the CZAW Sportscruiser. I think its pretty cool, and enjoy flying it. I believe its going to be marketed as a Piper sports in the future. Vne 138 Kts Vno around 110 Kts.

No picture, but there is one for sale in this month's Rec Avi mag last add in mag

Henry

Guest Howard Hughes
I think Piper have already released a re-branded Evektor SportsStar as their LSA.

Actually it is the Sportcruiser from CZAW (as stated above), not the Sportstar!

Guest Pioneer200

I have flown a Sportcruiser,, very nice!!!!

If you can afford the price tag!!!!!!!!!!

Dyn Aero approx 140knot cruise, go to www.parakaiairfield.co.nz , there is a story about a guy who recently flew one to Norfolk Island and back from Auckland:thumb_up:

Is there any Dyn Aeros flyig in Australia???

Also re the Piper sport, somewhere else someone claimed it was a Sports Cruiser clone and it was strongly knocked down. It is a all new design and looks similar thats it

Believe who you want to believe!

@ $120K US for a base model it must do something good.

Guest Howard Hughes

Not a clone, Piper have entered into a licensing agreement with Czech Sport Aircraft (formerly CZAW) and are importing the aircraft for final assembly in the US, will see if I can dig up the article.

Here you go, it was in Flight International!:thumb_up:

The fastest two place LSA would have to be the Rutan VariEze. We have two at our airstrip and they move like rockets! We are thinking of rigging one up as a tug :big_grin:.

They are also , objectively, the best looking aircraft.

Guest jeepman
VariEze[/url]. We have two at our airstrip and they move like rockets! We are thinking of rigging one up as a tug :big_grin:.They are also , objectively, the best looking aircraft.

These do not qualify as LSA because of the stall speed and they would be a hopeless tug as they have to fly too fast just to keep in the air and would be towing a glider beyond its max rough air speed IMO

VariEze[/url]. We have two at our airstrip and they move like rockets! We are thinking of rigging one up as a tug :big_grin:.They are also , objectively, the best looking aircraft.

What drugs are you on?

They are ugly as sin. They just look wrong...

Also I'm not really sure of their stats but last time I watched one take off at archerfield it seemed to take almost the entire runway before it lifted off.

But I guess it takes all sorts ;)

Guest Howard Hughes
What drugs are you on? They are ugly as sin. They just look wrong...

They certainly look wrong with the nose gear extended!:ah_oh:

Also I'm not really sure of their stats but last time I watched one take off at archerfield it seemed to take almost the entire runway before it lifted off.

VLTOL perhaps? 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif