Fastest LSA?

Guest Howard Hughes

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These do not qualify as LSA because of the stall speed and they would be a hopeless tug as they have to fly too fast just to keep in the air and would be towing a glider beyond its max rough air speed IMO

I'm not sure what your definition of LSA is. Is it the same as Ultralight? The ones here have the same registration as other LSA aircraft.

I think the tug comments may have been may have been made "tongue in cheek".

What drugs are you on? They are ugly as sin. They just look wrong...

Also I'm not really sure of their stats but last time I watched one take off at archerfield it seemed to take almost the entire runway before it lifted off.

But I guess it takes all sorts ;)

I guess you would have to define what "right" looks like. Certainly they look sleek - and fast. I'm not sure what the length of the take off roll has to do with the original question.

Ex: I think by LSA he meant RAAus Rego'd

re: second post. Absolutely nothing to do with previous post. Just an observation re takeoff roll. I just think they are a funny looking aircraft.

I think the Morgan aeroworks sierra needs a mention here. They are an awesome design, fast, and also get some great reviews on this forum and others. And Aus made too! Support the locals :)

• Agree 1

The shark looks, well like a shark (fuselage). Very nice but being tandem seating it would never get past the expenditure review committee at my place.

Just tell her that she'll be riding pillion! (Either that, or tell her it's for all those times when she wanted to see the back of you... 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif )

Guest Sharp End
The shark looks, well like a shark (fuselage). Very nice but being tandem seating it would never get past the expenditure review committee at my place.

Stick her in the front! Sitting up front in a tandem is actually really enjoyable from a passenger point of view as you can see out better. Holding hands is more difficult, however you could always give the ERC a neck massage! 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

19 Registered but I would think that having retractable gear and a stall above 45 KIAS they couldn't fit into LSA but could be registered under the 540kg MTOW.I think they look like something from the 21st rather than 20th Century. Not pretty but exciting and definitely not just another light aircraft.

Only the front wheel is retractable. The stall speed (such as it is) is less than 42 knots.

Guest Howard Hughes

I think this could have been a contender, but sadly it doesn't seem to be going ahead and not strictly LSA.051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

• 6 years later...

Objective results are the only valid measurement - check out the Pipistral Virus SW & VH SGS / Sonerai built by Robin Austin. Powered by 912 (100 hp )engines. Both these aircraft are world competition winners, so their performance has been independently verified, unlike the wishful claims of most aircraft manufactures in this class of aircraft.

• Agree 1

I think the Carbon Sting would be the fastest LSA registered RA-Aus aircraft...I flew in one when I was looking for something to buy and it was a genuinely fast plane, 2 up and we were cruising at 130knts, it had 100hp Rotax and variable speed prop that wasn't really working...very fast... I have attached a photo of the ASI that day...

David

V__651F.jpg.7afcc3bc54aea2ed83711f83a1627cd7.jpg

19 Rego has nothing to do with LSA. My Corby is homebuilt 19 Rego and is not LSA.

From memory the definition of LSA includes that it was either factory built or maybe homebuilt but to very strict guidelines. I don't know what the performance figures have to be but it is all available on the web for those who need to know. Just make sure you are talking about what you are defining.

• Informative 1

I think the Carbon Sting would be the fastest LSA registered RA-Aus aircraft...I flew in one when I was looking for something to buy and it was a genuinely fast plane, 2 up and we were cruising at 130knts, it had 100hp Rotax and variable speed prop that wasn't really working...very fast... I have attached a photo of the ASI that day...David

[ATTACH=full]42697[/ATTACH]

A bit more right rudder and it might have gone even faster!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 3
  • Helpful 1

I think the Carbon Sting would be the fastest LSA registered RA-Aus aircraft...I flew in one when I was looking for something to buy and it was a genuinely fast plane, 2 up and we were cruising at 130knts, it had 100hp Rotax and variable speed prop that wasn't really working...very fast... I have attached a photo of the ASI that day...David

[ATTACH=full]42697[/ATTACH]

Interesting for 2 reasons:

1. The AH indicates a decent although the VSI hasen't caught up?

2. "Cruise speed" which is 10kts into the yellow (i.e. Smooth air)

I have no arguement with it being fast, obviously is, but "crusing IAS speed" 10kts in the yellow - I have reservations.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Caution 1

174.406 kts - Risen world speed record challange

in the sunny morning of 16th December 2015, at the Aviosuperficie di Ozzano Dell'Emilia "Guglielmo Zamboni” Bolagna, Swiss Excellence Airplanes Risen has won a new challenge: striking the UL class world speed record with a standard Rotax 912 ULS 100 hp engine.

Is it a unique fact that the pilot is also the engineer that designed the machine, so the satisfaction for SEA was double. Pilot Alberto Porto, with Sara della Moretta on board has made a 323,31 Km/h Speed over a straight course, establishing a new AECI certified national record that was claimed and now is under review at FAI.