July Edition of Sport Pilot Magazine

Admin

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone,

As I was on the Board when the magazine issues were being discussed, I thought I'd let you know how the process worked.

1. New editor made it very clear that the magazine would reflect the organisation's interests and views (via the Board). He emphasised that the magazine was ours, not his. He insisted that the Board have input into the design and name. One of the Board members tried for weeks to get the rest of the Board to come up with ideas for the name, light flyer, fly light, sport flyer, sport plane, recreational pilot, and a stack of other names. It was like pulling teeth to get a decision on the name. We went round and round and finally a short list emerged and then we voted (I think). Try to get 13 people on this forum to do that task and you can imagine how long it took. Then the editor sent us 20 or more cover designs to work on and that went round and round and many of the Board didn't make any contribution to the process. So that is how the name and the design came about.

2. As far as it being late, the editor is not the entirely responsible. I remember the previous editor saying that

they had to wait on the 'regular' important features, president report, manager report, etc, because if one person was late getting theirs to the editor, it held up the entire magazine.

3. Finally, our managers have to read the draft and approve articles. If there is an article all typeset and in the magazine that they feel should be deleted, then the editor has to fill that space at the last minute with something else.

That's how it works, and that's probably why it is late. But I haven't spoken to him.

cazza

However I stick to my original assertion :"Honestly sometimes when I read some of the criticisms in this forum I reckon some of you blokes need to get a job or another serious distraction in your lives, failing that go flying and refocus on the real issues... "

I would think that comment warrants its own thread or posted in a hundred other threads before this one.Seems to be a lot of comments in this thread which the Editor can take as useful feedback. Seems to be a lot of other threads where more weighty issues are indeed the subject but the only outcome of the thread is hot air. I would rather spend my time on a less significant activity and achieve something, no matter how small, rather than waste my time on so-called real issues.

Of course, I could depart the forum altogether and dedicate more of my time to real issue - however, in real life I already spend much of my time on real issues - when I sit down for R&R I often come here.

• Like 1

Guest jabiru

Canberra ACT, is some 330 Km from Albury NSW, and mail has been today and yes no Sports Pilot !!! Mail from ACT takes only 2 days, as Professor once said : Y is it so???

Got mine today from the post office in town.

Quite impressed actually, leaves the last mag (Recreational Aviation) in the dust by miles. :thumb_up:

I left it on the bench at home and my brothers have even been looking through it... it's just a lot more interesting looking, so good on 'em I say.

I agree with Tomo. My wife is reading it now! Never happened before so they must be getting something right.I do like the look of this edition - congrats to the Editor and staff.

Might see if the editor can put in a fashion column to broaden the appeal ...what are the best dressed aviators wearing this season?

• 2 weeks later...

Husband still hasn't received his July magazine. Contacted RAAus regarding his voting papers and they requested that I not photocopy my blank form for him, they will post forms to him. So if you are in the same boat, ring or email the office, ASAP, as time is running out, especially if you are interstate country (4 working days delivery & same return).

Sue