First flight: Tecnam P92 taildragger

Admin

Guest Maj Millard

Now were talking !!.....................get rid of that training wheel up front and do some real flying..012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif.................nice machine Tecnam, having flown the p92 I'd be very interested in trying this one !......................................Maj...giggle.gif.9fbf2613564ad555277246f6add2d17e.gif

Nice.I would put a bigger tail wheel on it but.

Like operating on rough strips then dazza?My Decathlon has an Alaskan Bushwheel (formerly Scott but beefed up) which is common to many GA aeroplanes. Our Pitts has the smaller Lang which is more reliable and robust.

My Laser had a Haigh (similar one now made by Raven), even smaller than the Lang and worked fine on an average grass strip normally populated by horses and kangaroos. The one on the Tecnam looks somewhat similar.

Like operating on rough strips then dazza?My Decathlon has an Alaskan Bushwheel (formerly Scott but beefed up) which is common to many GA aeroplanes. Our Pitts has the smaller Lang which is more reliable and robust.

My Laser had a Haigh (similar one now made by Raven), even smaller than the Lang and worked fine on an average grass strip normally populated by horses and kangaroos. The one on the Tecnam looks somewhat similar.

Hi David, I was thinking even at Boonah.In the photo the wheel looks realy small.I hope that Bruce Stark brings one in as a demo.(Hi Bruce if you are reading this).Could be just the photo shot though.

It would be very nice.It would go well at Boonah considering Tecnams have been operating their for a number of years.I would like to have a fly of one, with the Lycoming O-233 in it. I guess we will have to wait until after sun-in fun until more is released .

Guest Maj Millard

To me this is a very nice looking aircraft. Sort of a cross between a Texas taildragger 152 and a Cessna 180. I bet it hoots in the air also....012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif...................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• 3 months later...
120419tecnam_p92.jpg.e385b3ded5681a5ca5d4e4336392ab2a.jpg I am trying to get better photos from Aero 2012 at Friedrichshaffen but this gives a good idea of what the first production aircraft will look like. Cargo pod has a 40 kg capacity and there is a smaller 5kg capacity baggage area with external door behind the standard internal baggage area. First TD (Rotax powered) for Australia leaves Italy at the end of April so Port of BNE mid June

• 2 months later...
Guest Maj Millard

Bruce , welcome back to the site, ...lots of your customers on here for sure !. Yes the TD is a real nice looking aircraft, and I look foward to seeing it in the flesh so to speak. The classic-style paint job goes a long way towards making this aircraft look 'right', and I can only anticipate more versions of this simple but interesting scheme.

Should be a popular aircraft for rural customers in this country, many who are already purchasing similiar types..

I note in the POH that Tecnam has chosen to use the standard main landing-gear leg set up. Don't know if this will stand the action long-term for this type of aircraft, and operations.

A one-piece MLG leaf as used on the Savannah aircraft for instance, would be more durable I feel. The problem of course with the current set-up is that all three bolts need to remain intact, for the legs to be sound. The outer bolts and saddles are the weak point as demonstrated on the Partenavia and P92s, and those bolts need to be thick enough to do the job, without failure.

Landing leg failures usually result in substantial damage to the aircraft generally. The simple and robust, (and easily inspected daily) system on the Savannah for instance, has proven to be very robust in service so far, and easily replaced if damaged. Time of course will the true story as the new TD goes into service....................................Ross Millard.

How much room is there in a P92? I am 6'4" and 130kgs. Would I fit? With a student? I am guessing they come with dual controls?

I reackon this plane would be great for tailwheel endorsement training, something I would like to get into in the near future.

I read that this taildragger cruises at 120kts. For those of you that have flown P92's, does this seem likely?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Probably not Kiwi. I am 180cm and there is a fair bit of head room above my head.That would be OK.I am 98KG, even though the aircraft is wider than a C172.(which isnt sayin much).It is cosy with somebody nearly the same size as me.

Guest Maj Millard

Kiwi, The best I've seen in a P92 Super Echo 100Hp, with Airmaster CS prop, was about 109 Kts straight and level. Cabin room ain't bad, but more in line with a C152 than a C172, but quite comfortable all the same....................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

I had a good look over the latest high-wing Brumby at Natfly, and I sat in it for a good half hour talking about various features with the manufacturer. I could find very little that didn't impress me with the aircraft. The asking price was way below what the aircraft appeared to be worth (may have changed since !). The cabin is huge with well appointed seats and doors, loads of dash room, and huge areas behind the seats for storage including an area that easily takes 20 Ltr fuel containers standing up !....although I'm sure this area has a weight limitation.

The whole aircraft reaked of smart design and ruggedness, and I must say I was very impressed on this, my first encounter with any Brumby aircraft. This one had a training wheel up front, but I'm sure the design would lend itself well to a tailwheel.

Entry via wide doors was simple, and the center-panel mounted stick a new inovation that I have not come across before. Not only does it come back and fowards out of the dash for pitch, but also rolls and moves sideways for aileron imputs. This aircraft would look good in the bush whilst handling some rough treatment at the same time.

These are the aircraft that I know Australians have the talent to produce..The design and quality can only get better as they move further through production and development..Well done Brumby !....................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Has anyone seen a T/W Brumby? Can you get the low wing as a T/W? No mention on their website but wondering if anyone had asked the question.Thanks in advance.

Kiwi, the Brumby website lists tailwheel as an option on the low wing, but can't see anything about high wing. The high wing Brumby is 2 inches wider in the cabin than the P92 and looks to be taller too.

Any Tecnam P92s (all Eaglets) that I have flown have easily done 110kts if I recall correctly. Last Saturday was the first time flying for many months and I did some ccts in a near new Eaglet. 5000rpm on downwind saw 100kts.