Some forced landings

fly_tornado

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. 1 - Low flying over hostile terrain, seemed to have it under control until the last moment, then looked to stall into the road and bounced.

No. 2 - Low flying over hostile terrain.

No. 3 - Textbook engine failure on takeoff, well done.

No. 4 - Excellent example of why height is your friend, also well done.

• Like 1

You are being a bit unkind to the first guy, he did a great job of putting it down on the road through the trees, good job there was no on coming traffic with the unbroken centre line, that yellow roadsign on his right wing was a real bitch though, certainly shortened his landing roll.

Not a case of being kind or unkind, simply observing that he/she was doing well until the last 30ft or so and then the sink rate increased rapidly.

The rapid descent appears to have caused a bounce, which probably contributed to the lateral departure into the trees.

He was lined up well. The trees don't give much room for error. Maybe hot air over the road surface but she fell out of the sky and went a bit right to hit the sign. Draggy planes don't stay in the air long. I wonder why those guys fly over terrain like that with 2 strokes? Nev

My first thought in that first video was that it all seemed pretty stable until the last 30 feet or so when the sink rate went up enormously too. I actually wondered whether the pilot let the airspeed drop off too much.

Edit: actually my first thought was just how fantastic it looked flying around the treetops at that height. Heaps of fun, like riding a sportsbike at 10/10ths through the twisties. Unfortunately both leave no room for error or accident though, and with quite savage consequences. I think I will keep flying at height, and riding at 7/10ths!

Clearly the psychological pressure experienced during a real life engine failure is a significant factor, which makes me wonder whether there is a tendency for someone who is experiencing a real engine failure to want to "get it on the ground" as quickly as possible in order to make the bad situation go away? That could lead to a fairly hard landing in circumstances that could otherwise allow a soft landing.

??

There was a concept of compulsive landings around in the 80's (in another context but could be relevant) The pilot due to perceived urgency has tunnel vision about the landing and misses important considerations that affect safety. Nev

You are being a bit unkind to the first guy, he did a great job of putting it down on the road through the trees, good job there was no on coming traffic with the unbroken centre line, that yellow roadsign on his right wing was a real bitch though, certainly shortened his landing roll.

Demonstrated luck doesn't mean you are a good pilot.

• Like 1

Video #2 & 3 are typical two stroke failures, reasonably abrupt and total.

Not sure what's going on with the engine in video #1, it loses power, but sounds to be running all the way to the ground?

Maybe not a two stroke?

As for the impact, he probably got caught by windshear down between the trees.

Will Cathy ever talk to him again??! 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif That look, OUCH.

.......Not sure what's going on with the engine in video #1, it loses power, but sounds to be running all the way to the ground?

If it was a 582, it could have suffered a broken throttle cable. The springs on the 582 carbs go to idle by default.

There are two cables. You are right about them going to idle, if one disconnects. The 912 goes to full throttle, so back to the "blip" switch? I don't really recommend that because it will be a bit hard on the engine and cutting it off will fill the muffler with combustible gas and probably blow it apart when the switches go back on. Still If you need the power do it!. Nev

Depending on the plane you would extend your glide but that's all I would want to try. You would overload the operating cylinder the same as putting too large a prop on the engine. That makes it run LEAN and it won't survive. Nev

Skimming treetops over tiger country in a 2 stroke, natural selection at work..... They were lucky

Why do people think a two stroke is less reliable. It has less moving parts, no valve and lifter problems. I prefer them to an air cooled 4 stroke any day

• Like 5

Because they are only half as good. 2+2=4. Ha Ha ..... that's funny Sapph Johansens flown his RV all over the world with one Lycoming in it It's air cooled.. and of all the engines out there I Would probably use an io-360. A twin comanche I owned VH LLV some years ago had done the trip from the US to here wth no hassles whatever. I fly two strokes but not across the Pacific and I certainly wouldn't fly over the country in those vids with one . I've rebuilt and tuned them all my life in MX bikes , but they are only flat out for short periods. The dont get much rest in an aeroplane..Nev