Oshkosh

rdarby

Guest ozzie

The area of the real estate that Air Venture covers is best appreciated when seen from the air. Really recommend a flight in the Bell 47

or B17.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took the B17 flight and ticked that one off the bucket list. BUT, there was a B29 running up when we returned from the flight.

Now that is the top of my list.

I went for a drive via Memphis and Albuqurque, to near Portland Or. Wow, the Spruce Goose is one hell of a wooden aircraft. The significant contributions/donations by the American flying community to their museums as well as to Oshkosh make Australian flyers seem like a bunch of miserable tightwads.

Everything is big in the states, the Airshow I went to in Lincoln Nebraska managed about 30,000 ppl both days. Have a look on google maps for Lincoln, its in the middle of nowhere and has a population of about 90.000 ppl.

• 10 months later...

Got notification that my Aussie PPL is verified , M4 Maule is booked, we leave next Saturday for San Francisco ,then niagra falls, then Detroit on on the Oshkosh , getting a little excited now bounce.gif.3516b5f7197d1d6889168640af67e2f6.gifprop.gif.61637aee349faef03caaa77c2d86cf41.gif016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif

• Like 2

Has anyone been? I did Sun n Fun last year, and the next airshow on my bucket list is Oshkosh. I'll do it next year, need to save up first. And I like to take my time planning, and the anticipation is half the fun!Can anyone recommend a good place to stay there? There is a Hilton right on the airfield there but when I emailed them they said they would be full, just like that, no interest in discussion.

Cheers

Ryan

Ryan you will never get into the Hilton at Oshkosh, its pre booked every year and not that big!

We are going this year, this will be our 4th visit. Definitely a must do. We stay at the University of Wisconsin. Not the Hilton quality but also not the Hilton prices. Only $65.00 per room per night (sleeps 2). Buy a big fan from Walmart for under $20.00 ( We just leave them there when we come home). Meals at the canteen ( breakfast and dinner) at around $8.00 to $12.00. Bus right from the uni door to the airfield and back for $20.00 for the whole week. Ianrat

Ch601xl-b

Brisbane. 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

I am going as well this year, been many times over the years and love it, you are correct about thr Fan, thats exactly what i do, and donate it to the Uni when i leave

Would like to make conact with anyone definately going to Oshkosh this year and arrange a place & time to meet and put faces to the blogs!

Im staying at the Uni from 27 July to 1 Aug.

Cheers Roscoe (Ross)

• Agree 1

Would like to say, Hi Roscoe, can you PM me. as I can't work it out. BUT sadly cant go to the Happy Land. YETspacesailor

Can you advise how to do the PM thing?.......i assume it means personal msg but not sure how it works

For the PM thing click on the persons picture then find where it says 'start a conversation' click on that and follow your nose.

Your conversations will then be available in the letter icon near the alert thingy

I love the comment about the hilton. There is no chance In hell of getting in there even five years in advance!!! Once you go to Oshkosh you will know why

Deb correct!!....I went in there once and asked about Accomodation and they said " are you serious".,..ha ha

Thanjs mate

For the PM thing click on the persons picture then find where it says 'start a conversation' click on that and follow your nose.Your conversations will then be available in the letter icon near the alert thingy

nks

• Like 1

For the PM thing click on the persons picture then find where it says 'start a conversation' click on that and follow your nose.Your conversations will then be available in the letter icon near the alert thingy

Great thanks for that!

I've booked a house about a mile away and sharing with some friends. I phoned the hilton and they were dumbfounded I would even ask.

I arrive after a drive up from Chicago on the 27th and drive back the next Sunday. Happy to say hello to anyone there!