Announcement

Admin

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well ,what an interesting thread, I've lived most of my life in QLD, from the gold coast(YUK) to Port Douglas (loved Mossman) and lots of places in between, and now I'm deep in Mexico and loving it (as max smart would say) ,the winter is hard to get used to but the summer is bloody great, I've done a few years in Brissy and hated it, 20 in Hervey bay and while there I couldn't imagine being happy anywhere else, now I've moved I'd never go back, I'd agree with the Melbourne being livable, if all you want is a sunny day then brissy is for you ,but Melbourne is more fulfilling place to live ,,,,and the latte's are to die for !!! aye

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

At least they clap in the right places when Jazz is played. in Melbourne. I've looked at lots of Australia, over time, and it is a vast interesting country, but some places offer a wider variety of possible activities than others without it being too much of a bind. Sydney is/was a beautiful place but isn't the place to live in it once was, as it is too expensive and clogged up with traffic and it used to be pretty dead at the weekends in the centre. There is always something on in Melbourne and the food's good and cheap if you know where to go. I don't follow AFL which I thought was compulsory. I travel on trains and trams and actually talk to people. If you think the weather is too cold, you should try Europe when you get away from the Mediterranean. Some really attractive destinations get boring when you have been there for a while, unless you belong to the RSL or do fishing. God's waiting room. You need to keep active and have interests. Nev

There is always something on in Melbourne

I would agree with that, the effort for social activity that is put in is as good as any city in the World (I think that's a proven fact) - but sometimes you arrive and it rains or you freeze to death .....

Guest Maj Millard

North Queenslanders are immune to high humidity, we don't even notice any difference. It is a device we use to send whinging Southerners back across the border by the bus load, as they are doing right now !.......and if that doesn't work we'll bring in a good cyclone as a back up, that usually gets them moving !............Maj.....008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Well first day on the job and had to go 500nm to meet a person that reports to me so I went in a Fokker F50 all by myself being looked after by 3 flight attendants and then back again...again by myself with 3 flight attendants to look after me...we charter these flights...a bit disappointed that there wasn't a spa and drink bar.

Got accom in a 1 bedroom apartment on the top floor of an apartment complex about 150 yards from the office but a bit noisy from traffic here in Brisbane City and it's BLOODY HOT after coming from Melb...30 deg in Bris is a lot hotter than 30 deg in Melb...or so it seems.

Internet being connected next week so stuck with the iPad

Ian welcome to summer in Brisbane and it has even ticked over yet, you will get used it mate..you will know where all the cool places are in the city soon enough...go to to the botanic gardens near the river in the late afternoon and you will find a nice cool breeze most days..enjoy..

David

Why does everyone want to live in a great big city full of everything that is the best and equally the worst that humanity can devise? Been there and done that & I ain't going back.

Now I get up around 6:00 am walk to the beach (takes about 3 minutes) look left & right & if I am really lucky I will see probably one or 2 other humans with their dogs. Today there were 3 of us with 3 dogs, 1 horse & rider with temp about 20 degrees & a cloudless sky.

Total population about 1200, & about 200 dogs, a post office, general store & a Pub. Aerodrome 30 minutes drive. The fishing & diving is sublime. Got some beautiful Crays the other day.

Anyway best of luck in Brissy Ian. Not my cuppa tea but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

• Like 1

We have some Fokker F70's coming soon, 75 pax jets to support the F50's so that is going to make work interesting...maybe I can get some flights on my own again, that will be fun.

Liking it up here in Brisbane, coming home from work, sitting out on the balcony with a scotch and then cooking the "lean cuisine" dinner in the microwave...then going down to the pool and gym in the complex, returning to the balcony for a cig...1 maybe 2 years of this, going to be fun...be better when I can get the Internet connected and venture out on weekends to some air strips and meet up with some forumites

• Like 1

North Queenslanders are immune to high humidity, we don't even notice any difference. It is a device we use to send whinging Southerners back across the border by the bus load, as they are doing right now !.......and if that doesn't work we'll bring in a good cyclone as a back up, that usually gets them moving !............Maj.....008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Maj:

They usually come up here and then they miss their daylight "saving" time so much they go back home again.

Maj:They usually come up here and then they miss their daylight "saving" time so much they go back home again.

Mate,,,daylight saving is freakin awesome, I can get to the field about 1715, get the chariot ready and tool around for about 2.5 hours till I'm forced to land and drink beer at the aeroclub,,,this is my Friday night summer routine ,,,,,,it is bloody great ,,,cut me I bleed maroon,,,,but I gotta say stuff the curtains and the cows ,,I love daylight saving

Matty:plane:026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

So do you have a car to get around Ian?David

Yes mate...will probably start getting out this weekend as the shock is starting to wear off...miss the family

Yes mate...will probably start getting out this weekend as the shock is starting to wear off...miss the family

I did the airline commute between Toowoomba and Melbourne while working away from the family for a year. If you get on to them early enough, flights are pretty cheap. I ended up flying out of Cooly quite a bit as I found you could park over the road from the airport for free, and walk over!

• 3 weeks later...

you have to love technology...I have been since 4:30 this morning sitting out on the balcony of my apartment drinking coffee, still in my dressing gown, armed with a Microsoft Surface Pro sitting on my lap and a mobile phone working flat out. Every 10 mins been getting departure reports from the airline, bus movement reports, no-go/go-show reports, on-board passenger lists and monitoring the movements of Fokker F70 jets and F50's in the single biggest uplift our company does in a year. Today we have a motto of nobody gets left behind and everyone gets home for Xmas.

These days there is no need for an office as sitting here I can have a video conference in a meeting that can be called instantly (have to at least put a shirt on for that), instant messaging to anyone no matter where they are, emails, reports, disaster recovery, damage control, intervention in business processes...just about anything.

Perhaps I could end up working back in Melb and no one would be any the wiser...anyway back to work

• Like 2

Guest Andys@coffs

I might just caution about 100% work from home. I am just finishing up (their choice not mine) with the Company I have worked for, for 18 years in the defence sector. for the last 4 years I have worked at home a long way from Hq. It is isolating and difficult to understand importance of events from afar, it is easy to react to something that seems important only to find it was relatively unimportant and something that you didn't pick up on was considered significantly important.

Further it is a fact that what you cant see and control from a management perspective, is thought to be difficult to manage and as such the previous 2 managers I have had over that time have a strong preference that they don't have to manage remote workers...I'm not sure if that's just me, or the circumstances, though I'm not the only remote worker and the other one was also made redundant at the same meeting.

If I had my time over I think that a mixed environment where you work from home for no more than about 60% of your time would be fine. The trick is not to make the timeframe for the 60% too long... no more than a week or 2 away from the office at a time. In my case originally I spent 1 week per month in the office, but as the defence sector government spending disappeared, that changed to 1 week in 3 months and that was a recipe for disaster.

Andy