RAAus Elections

DonRamsay

Well,it is that time of the year . . .

Nominations for the Board Elections closed last Tuesday, 30th June. Candidates will be announced by RAAus in due course and Members will be sent voting papers which will need to be posted to RAAus by the date advised, likely to be mid August 2015.

For NSW/ACT there are two separate elections one for a normal, full term and one, a By-Election, for the balance of Andy Saywell's term which is due to end at the AGM in 2016. As you would be aware Andy resigned his Board position recently and it would not be hard to see from my posts that I am closely aligned in my thinking with Andy on most matters.

I have accepted a nomination for the NSW/ACT By-Election and would appreciate as many votes as possible by NSW/ACT members so that I may be a part of the big changes coming to RAAus over the next year or so.

Constitution Re-write

Many of you would be aware of my strong interest in good governance and efficiency. I could claim some expertise in this area having proposed many amendments (approx 25) to the Constitution. I proposed the formation of the original Constitution Review Committee back in 2012 recognising then that we could do much better. There is now a full review/rewrite of our Constitution underway and I would like to be in a position to ensure we get it right and not have to go back with more after-the-fact amendments.

Office Systems Upgrade

The next year or so will also see major upgrades of the IT systems that serve members - another area where I have considerable experience of both how to do it well (and not very well).

Experience and Qualifications

My previous Board experience both with RAAus and other corporations and my financial qualifications and experience will allow me to make useful contributions in those areas.

Tech & Ops Manuals

A completely revised Tech Manual is due out this year and there will be an update of the Ops Manual as well. While I don't claim strong qualifications in either area, I can bring the perspective of your average pilot in review of both documents. Hopefully, that will bring us Manuals that are easy to read and are relevant to the sort of aviation we engage in.

So, please vote and consider assisting me to contribute to RAAus at Board level.

I believe there will also be a vote required for South Australia to replace Ed Herring who has been a committed and hard-working member of the Board since 2011 - a very difficult time to have been on the Board.

Don

• Like 5

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You Got my vote Don?

and Ed has done a very awesome job out this way Sad to see him leave but themz the breaks.

fundly enough I recieved an email suggesting I run for State here . Laughed it off. :). Good luck mate

I'll be happy if ALL board. Members are RAA pilots.. It saddens me to know we are run/ dictated by NON Raa pilots ;(.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nominations for Board Positions

unopposed - no election required;

• Michael Monck (NSW)

• Tony King (SQLD)

• Trevor Bange (SQLD)

• Ed Smith (WA)

• Teresa Avila, a new board member to the Victorian region,

Election required

South Australia - 2 Year Term

• Barry Windle

• Jim McDowell

NSW - Casual Vacancy - approx 1 year

• Donald Ramsay

• Barry Wrenford

• Informative 1

Guest Maj Millard
Seems members can't be as unhappy as they make out (on this forum) given the 5 elected unopposed. Best of luck to the candidates in SA and NSW(Casual)

Yes good point there rhysmcc....plenty who readily winge and bitch about everything, but when the time comes for them to put their money where there mouth is, they are suddenly conspicuous by their absence.

Yes good point there rhysmcc....plenty who readily winge and bitch about everything, but when the time comes for them to put their money where there mouth is, they are suddenly conspicuous by their absence.

Not at all Maj, maybe we have the inside story on who is going to stump up. All sorts of people nominate for all sorts of reasons. All sorts of people don't nominate for all sorts of reasons.

Maybe this time I have faith in Michael, Don and Barry and having my hands otherwise full on rec flying matters I let it go, this time.

That doesn't mean that I am happy with the board or the performance of RAA or CASA. It just means that, at this time, I think someone else from NSW can do the job on the board better than I can, at this time.

The board, exec and CEO should always remain under intense scrutiny as they are not gods, far from it, and I do wonder about some decisions you all make. I don't believe we have a degree of transparency or collegiality that is demanded of a Advocacy organisation such as RAA. I read that Theresa Avila does have some experience in Not-for-profits, done some heavy lifting in business and is an engineer - welcome Theresa.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

Not at all Maj, maybe we have the inside story on who is going to stump up. All sorts of people nominate for all sorts of reasons. All sorts of people don't nominate for all sorts of reasons. . . .

Col, I'm sure Ross wasn't thinking of you in his comments. Nobody could fault your continued interest over a long period of time and your always constructive thoughtful criticisms.

I also think that the current Board would not argue with your assertion that:

. . . we (don't) have a degree of transparency or collegiality that is demanded of a Advocacy organisation such as RAA.

I seem to remember Mick Monck saying as much in writing recently. They are often so busy doing that they don't get around to letting us know what they have been doing. And plenty of the stuff they are involved with has long lead times - especially anything to do with CASA.I also agree with your assessment of Teresa Avila - she appears to be very well qualified for a Board role and her career experiences will be a great asset to RAAus.

• Informative 1

In the past we have expressed concerns about the apathy of RAAus members when it comes to taking an interest in how the organisation is being run as evidenced by the small proportion who exercise their democratic privilege by voting in elections.

With the following people returned unopposed, I think we all have a a good reason to have not opposed them as they have all put in a creditable performance.

• Michael Monck (NSW)

• Tony King (SQLD)

• Trevor Bange (SQLD)

• Ed Smith (WA)

Mick's leadership and his ability to bring Michael Linke up to speed quickly has been remarkable. We will see more dramatic improvements over the next few months as some of the projects that have a longer time frame come to fruition. The Executive with addition of Tony King and Jim Tatlock has been the best we've seen in many years. Jim has consistently exceeded the requirements of the role of Treasurer and his explanations of the financials at General Meetings has been very welcome and a considerable improvement over what we had been seeing.

Trevor Bange, in addition to his active participation at Board level has made a sizeable contribution particularly with the work he did on our Association's insurances portfolio to the benefit of all members.

Teresa Avila is of course new to us but hardly a beginner. It will be very interesting to watch her contributions over the next two years.

Guest Maj Millard
Col, I'm sure Ross wasn't thinking of you in his comments. Nobody could fault your continued interest over a long period of time and your always constructive thoughtful criticisms.I also think that the current Board would not argue with your assertion that: I seem to remember Mick Monck saying as much in writing recently. They are often so busy doing that they don't get around to letting us know what they have been doing. And plenty of the stuff they are involved with has long lead times - especially anything to do with CASA.

I also agree with your assessment of Teresa Avila - she appears to be very well qualified for a Board role and her career experiences will be a great asset to RAAus.

Certainly wasn't thinking of Col in particular..........I've had a chat or two with Col and like his imput.....

Certainly wasn't thinking of Col in particular..........I've had a chat or two with Col and like his imput.....

Ah the beauty of RecFly, grows a life of its own :cheezy grin:I didn't feel any thing personal in Madges comments. I just thought that I should indicate that there are many reasons NOT to nominate other than the fear of putting your hand up.

Australia has many people who go out each day and do other things for other people with little reward but there are many more who don't.

Madge, Don, Barry et al I salute you for putting out so the rest of us can sit back (and some of us can even do other things for humanity)

• Like 1

The best thing about having Teresa on the Board apart from her capabilities and experience is that she is a woman. In my experience a female voice more often than not brings a new and different perspective to an operation or organisation, sometimes with a mediating effect where there are differences of opinion but always with a female perspective obviously lacking from an all male group.

There has been a vast improvement since your last stint on the board Don but there is still work to be done with some lack of transparency in decision making processes as Andy can attest.

• Like 1

There has been a vast improvement since your last stint on the board Don

So you feel things improved only once he left?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Just looking at your comment like a woman would 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif You may be right of course!

"You've lost so much weight you're looking great!" "WHAT? So you used to think I was fat and ugly???" splat.gif.4fe5615d47cdda8649f5910181ed23f2.gif

• Like 2

So you feel things improved only once he left?Sorry, couldn't resist. Just looking at your comment like a woman would 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif You may be right of course!

"You've lost so much weight you're looking great!" "WHAT? So you used to think I was fat and ugly???" splat.gif.4fe5615d47cdda8649f5910181ed23f2.gif

potatoes.jpg.eec543edece54cc4e36a9dcbbea610f2.jpg

See a woman looks at this as though the poor guy has done something wrong when he actually did exactly as asked. The problem is that men are from Mars and women are from Venus.

[ATTACH]36872[/ATTACH]See a woman looks at this as though the poor guy has done something wrong when he actually did exactly as asked. The problem is that men are from Mars and women are from Venus.

I don't Know what you guys are on, however remember CASA test for drugs as well as alcohol .

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Maj Millard
Plus the time it takes RA-AUS to make the announcement... given the draft constitution delays... expect the announcement sometime in October.

Incorrect there rhysmcc.......those involved are usually notified by phone on the day, and the rest of us by CEO Eletter shortly after. You've really got to stop living in the past and catch up mate.