Yolk or Y stick for Foxbar A32

nig71

With very little experience flying but what I do have has mostly been on the Y stick in a jabiru 120 and a tiny amount in a diamond DA20 with a joystick what are your thoughts on Foxbat going for the yolk, I believe a Y stick is in development.

The drawback to the Y stick would be moving the throttle the the left which would entail a harder egress from the aircraft. Seconds that could count in an emergency plus a possibility of damage to controls with caught clothing.

Would you just get used to the yolk and not think about it anymore after a while? Would it make a better GA trainer?

Would you only buy a Y or a joystick, would it be a deal breaker for an aircraft that should last a lifetime?

Can someone edit the title to say Foxbat ; can't figure out how to edit title

Sort of figured that's what you meant.... (no I can't edit it for you)

The A-32 is supposed to have the option of a Y stick, which I prefer from experience with the A-22L.

The throttle position in the Y stick A-22 is not a problem getting out, more a problem getting in, and then forgetting to check it's position before starting.

That said, most students do it at least once, and after the flurry of throttling, steering and breaking, they tend not to do it again.

Note to Instructors; always make sure student/Foxbats are aimed towards a clear area!037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

As for deal breaker, I can't see why a yolk version couldn't be arranged to have three throttles, one each side and one in the middle?

Solves all problems (although as said, I prefer the feel of the stick over yolk).

Personal opinion is that it depends on what kind of flying you mostly do. I really like the Y-stick and sill mounted throttle in my Foxbat - feels very natural - but not everyone likes it. However, the A32 is clearly aimed more at the cross-country touring market (quieter, faster, better cockpit ergonomics). In that mode, it sure is handy to have the writing hand free (assuming one is right handed) to scribble stuff on the knee pad.

Personal opinion is that it depends on what kind of flying you mostly do. I really like the Y-stick and sill mounted throttle in my Foxbat - feels very natural - but not everyone likes it. However, the A32 is clearly aimed more at the cross-country touring market (quieter, faster, better cockpit ergonomics). In that mode, it sure is handy to have the writing hand free (assuming one is right handed) to scribble stuff on the knee pad.

I think the Vixxen is partly meant for the VH market. Many in that market prefer yokes even though the Y-stick is the better option.

Having flown both, give me a Y stick any day...that yoke/yolk is only ok till you fly with something better...then its horrible going back. Its a brilliantly simple design, but also such an unnatural feel the way the yoke slides back directly rather than on a pivot arm.

Having said that when i talk to people in our club who only know they yoke, they love it.

Having flown both, give me a Y stick any day...that yoke/yolk is only ok till you fly with something better...then its horrible going back. Its a brilliantly simple design, but also such an unnatural feel the way the yoke slides back directly rather than on a pivot arm.Having said that when i talk to people in our club who only know they yoke, they love it.

I prefer a stick by a long margin. I think that Aeroprakt will soon have a stick option for those who have used a stick in their previous aircraft and do not want to go back to the yoke.

The yoke was made popular by Cessna. It was a point of difference from earlier aircraft and it made rookie pilots feel like the plane was more car-like: it was mainly a marketing ploy. Some pilots never flew a stick and rudder plane at all, confining themselves to Cessna planes with which they were familiar. Any other plane would be outside their comfort zone and Cessna's aircraft sales moved steadily upward.

With very little experience flying but what I do have has mostly been on the Y stick in a jabiru 120 and a tiny amount in a diamond DA20 with a joystick what are your thoughts on Foxbat going for the yolk, I believe a Y stick is in development.The drawback to the Y stick would be moving the throttle the the left which would entail a harder egress from the aircraft. Seconds that could count in an emergency plus a possibility of damage to controls with caught clothing.

Would you just get used to the yolk and not think about it anymore after a while? Would it make a better GA trainer?

Would you only buy a Y or a joystick, would it be a deal breaker for an aircraft that should last a lifetime?

And edit the title to say Yoke not Yolk. A yoke is cool because you can change hands easily (as with a stick between the knees) but a centre stick you can't. It's what you get used to. I like the centre stick in the Jab because it has the arm rest. I don't like the position of the throttle in the Foxbat but a mate who owns one says it's great. Again, it's what you get used to.

And edit the title to say Yoke not Yolk. A yoke is cool because you can change hands easily (as with a stick between the knees) but a centre stick you can't. It's what you get used to. I like the centre stick in the Jab because it has the arm rest. I don't like the position of the throttle in the Foxbat but a mate who owns one says it's great. Again, it's what you get used to

I've often thought an armrest would be a good idea in the 'Bat.

I myself can get away with it by resting my arm on my knee, but I notice skinny, and/or shorter people having to reach for the stick, and usually resort to grabbing the stick around the base on long trips.

A stick (each) between your knees feels good, but after instructing in a Gazelle for a while, it's a pain getting in and out, trying to get your leg around the stick (once again as a taller person).

The Y stick is a good compromise.

• 1 year later...
You mentioned being obstructed by the throttle if you exit. I think that the yoke would obstruct you more.

The yoke is no obstruction at all in one of the easiest recreational aircraft to enter and leave.

I have friends who love their y-stick and good luck to them.

For me it comes down to ergonomics. I sit in the left seat which means that pretty much every switch and control is closer to my right hand unless I twist and lean forward. So, my left hand has the yoke full time and that leaves my right hand free for throttle, trim, flaps, radio, playing with maps, making notes, etc.

If I were left-handed perhaps a different choice.

• Agree 2

Having flown both in the A22LS I prefer the Y stick to the wheel, I found that with full span ailerons/ flapperons the Y stick. gave more leverage and felt much lighter in the roll axis compared to the control wheel which felt stiff and slow

Also with the stick you get electric trim with a trim gauge, one thing I don't like about the trim on the control wheel one was there was no markings on the slide telling you where trim is to be set for takeoff

Just my opinion

Alf