hi, I'm Debbie.

Guest debra stewart

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest debra stewart

Thanks Kaz for the info and maybe will see you in Tassie. It is only a short crossing over the Bass Strait by plane, not as bad as people think.

Thanks Dr. Zoos ( ?) for the offer but I am already forking out enough money for flying lessons so I'll pass on the f0rum lessons ha ha. I'll figure it out.

And I like the cold as well. Bugger this damnable heat ! With a Perspex cockpit in the gazelle it is like being in a microwave on a 33 degree day. Nah, bring back the snow on the mountains, beautiful view !

Happy New Year to you all, luv debb

Guest debra stewart
[ATTACH=full]40421[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]40422[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]40421[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]40422[/ATTACH]

For those of you still interested in my "hangar Problem"

In the photos you can see that I have to come down and park next to the hangar as I have another hangar on my left wingtip. We then push it around so that we can get it into the hangar in reverse otherwise I cant ge tit out again. This is my first time trying to get a photo on here so excise and mishaps,

Sorry I put one on twice, didn't mean to, Debb

Debbie

Is that a step up onto the concrete floor of the hangar or is it a fairly smooth run. It also appears to be slightly uphill. Is that correct.

It looks as though this could be more of a technique problem than a strength one. It doesn't look insurmountable though.

• Agree 1

Guest debra stewart
not as bad as I was expecting.Don't think im saying it is easy and having a go at you, im not and am just saying its not as bad as i thought.

It certainly can be. That black stuff on the ground is like quicksand ( under the frass and quite deep) and the plane sinks into it - it is uphill and I always keep my plane full of fuel so all- together it makes it very hard. I have had men go, "oh that's nothing" and tried to do it, yet not one person has been able to get it in backwards yet !

The two of us can barely do it and we are used to it doing it every week.

Anyway, I'll find a solution but hopefully she will move me first !

Dyna bolt a cheap boat winch to the concrete floor at a reasonable height to allow you to turn it standing up.

Just need to get someone with structural knowledge to design a triangular tube mounting so it doesn't pull out of the floor.

Cost maybe $150 - $200

Hi Deb.

For what this may be worth.

I designed a pulley system so I can load and unload my Jab. fuselage, (wings off) onto a trailer single-handed, which involves pulling the mains up fairly steep ramps. In my case, I had a spare Catamaran mainsheet system ( basically, a six-pulley block and tackle), but the boat winch would do it well.

A few points occur to me, from looking at your photos.

It appears you have a definite ledge to get over between the grass and the concrete. Some ramps would make life a lot easier - e.g. some strips of chequer-plate, with a bit of angle welded onto the underside at the top (floor) ends say 50mm or so back from the edge of the sheets so they can't get dragged back. A slight bend in the plate where it sits on the concrete would be good, so it is nice and flat for the whole roll.

A simple y-bridle made up of ratchet-strap material that you can clip around the main legs with a single central point for the pull line will ensure that the pull is straight back, but two things you need to consider: firstly, they need to be secured to each leg in such a way as to prevent them riding up the leg: you need to have the pull absolutely as low above the axle as possible so they don't pull the tail down.

The second thing - and this is MOST important: the strap connections need to be absolutely fail-proof; if one lets go under load, the aircraft will spin around and most likely hit SOMETHING.

A dyna-bolt or Ramset in the concrete on the centre-line of the pull, at the back of the hangar, would provide a location for attaching the winch / pulley system. If it's a hand-turned boat winch, then as Turbs has said, it'll need a platform.

• Agree 1

[ATTACH=full]40421[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]40422[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]40421[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]40422[/ATTACH]

Hi Deb

Could you place some crusher dust fill at the area where you pull up and level to the hangar entrance so that it is a level area to turn around and push the gazelle backwards into the hangar. Just a thought.

Cheers Mike

Guest debra stewart
Hi Debra,

a belated Welcome to the Forum 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif from another flying female about the same vintage. My internet died for 4 weeks so I am just catching up.

I had trouble manoeuvring my C152 on the ground - pushing back wasn't a problem, but pushing the tail down to swing it was, as I weighed 42kg (a few years back) and at 4' 7" I couldn't throw my weight over it and still have enough traction to move it. I got stuck in a melon hole at Ilfracombe Qld and had to go get help or I would still be bouncing it up and down wishing I had a long rope or more height and weight.

A photo or diagram of the hangar would help explain things. You can attach one to the message by using the icon next to the smiley face on the tool bar. If it is too big (too many kbs) then right click on the image file and choose "send to" then "email .." choose "medium". That will open an email message with the smaller file attached. Click on it and Save As, or double click to open and then Save As. Try attaching again. Alternatively a diagram might help. I could draw one and we can work on getting it right. Then someone will come up with a solution.

Blue Skies, Gentle winds

Sue

Thanks Sue, Sorry I haven't replied earlier. Having trouble navigating the site a bit. Will learn I'm sure. Get lost every now and again, Found myself somewhere else for a while and didn't know where I was ! Good thing I'm a better pilot eh? Speak to you again soon I hope, Debb

Guest debra stewart
Hi DebCould you place some crusher dust fill at the area where you pull up and level to the hangar entrance so that it is a level area to turn around and push the gazelle backwards into the hangar. Just a thought.

Cheers Mike

I know everyone is trying to help but it is just one of those "problems". Yes, I've tried filling in some of the area but didn't work. My instructor and I really battle getting it back in and that's two of us. I have asked quite a few men to give it a try and not one has succeeded yet so I will never be able to do it. I just don't have the strength and yet I can pull it out easy as anything. Its the reversing and turning and going a bit uphill that makes it a three pronged problem. Never mind. I'll get there or get moved hopefully, that's what I'd like. I am in the worst hangar in the place ! Typical.

Never mind, onward and upward, Debb

Guest debra stewart
Dyna bolt a cheap boat winch to the concrete floor at a reasonable height to allow you to turn it standing up.Just need to get someone with structural knowledge to design a triangular tube mounting so it doesn't pull out of the floor.

Cost maybe $150 - $200

Yeah I know but I only work 2 days per week now so I am quite financially challenged and that much money is a lot to me. I've just had the car rego come in and the plane rego and the rates, so I'm out for the count for a while till I get free again. I am so very lucky that my plane just goes and goes. I try to put aside plane money for emergencies and so far have managed very well. Its just when a lot of big bills come in at once and then I have to lie low for a while. I will solve the problem though, I am not going to have lessons forever. It is great at present and I enjoy the company but I will want to go off on my own soon enough and that's when I'll come into my own and rig up something that will work. Not desperate enough just yet but willing to listen to all hints gratefully.

Have a lovely week all, Debb

Guest debra stewart
Oops i deleted that post in case some fun nazi took offence... But oh well its only giggles..

I like that 'fun nazi', so true, Debb

'Fun Nazi' is a pathetic excuse for someone who thinks that gross behavior should be acceptable because it isn't meant seriously, because it's just a gratuitous insult.

W have way too many 'XXX-Nazi's' in our community. We have faux-feminists who see an insult to their gender in any comment, when confident and accomplished women laugh the same comment off as the utterances of less than intellectually capable males. We have the 'lycra-Nazis' who cannot understand that riding at 15 kph in the centre of a lane of a 110-kph road is dangerous, stupid, and an assumption of 'territory' outside of reasonable excuse. We have Federal Ministers who consider that the sexual availability any female is a rightful perk of office.

There is a HUGE difference between giving those who have an inflated opinion of their own importance a reality call and giving offence to those who are doing a damn good job of their lives given the circumstances under which they operate.

If you are 1.6 or so metres high and 45 or so kgs heavy - that's simply a fact of life, not an aberration to be mocked.

If you are a male pilot with more accomplishments than Hanna Reitsch ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanna_Reitsch) - despite her ACTUAL Nazi affiliations - then I would accept that you have a basis for denigrating small, female pilots.

If you do not, then I suggest you are being a tool.

• Like 1

'Fun Nazi' is a pathetic excuse for someone who thinks that gross behavior should be acceptable because it isn't meant seriously, because it's just a gratuitous insult.

Ohh Oscar stop being a fun nazi... life is here to be enjoyed... smile, laugh, you have a lot of years left on earth...lets not run around stressing about BS we dont have to..

Once you're dead you will have all the time to be grumpy in isolation!

• Like 1