Aust Airfield Mobile App

I haven't invoiced the site sponsors for some time now, my mistake, but I was thinking whether that money could be used to develop a FREE mobile app that contains all airfield info for all airfields across Australia. It would be an information exchange app that is kept up to date and works interactively with all users. Users would add their airfield, comments etc into it and when a user syncs the app their information is downloaded to the database for everyone and their copy is updated from others with info like:

Best places to stay

Best places to eat

Fuel outlets

Things to do

Recreational Flying Members to catch up with

etc etc etc

as well as all the information pertinent to the airfield.

...and it is FREE

Would this be of any use to everyone? or can you think of some other beneficial thing that could be created?

• Like 10
  • Agree 5

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like the idea of it. Ozrunways does some of this already, but as you stated, you are after a free service. The trouble would be keeping it updated with relevant information.

A few things to add would be

- airstrips next to towns / very short walk

- Airstrips within xx distance / time from your departure airfield (ie want to go for an hour flight somewhere)

- Type of fuel available

Cheers

• Like 1

There are dozens of unpublished private bush/farm/station strips across the country which are not on maps. In my area I have many of these stored for my own use and I imagine other pilots would do a similar thing in their areas. There is no certainty as to the serviceability of many of these strips but in a pinch would give other options. I would love to be able to access an "at your own risk" list of strips for other areas for use in an emergency situation. It may even be possible for the info to be updated in a similar manner to which Ian alludes for his idea for known airfields where additional details could be updated if known. My navigator is not always that reliable as illustrated!1325682525_Tobysnoozinginthesun28012016.jpg.ad8c5e64d9ba5b8aaab2c5aa8b289d6b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Good idea. I'm not sure how often the AOPA list is updated on ozrunways but alot is out of date.

It would be a good free avenue for clubs to put in info too and be able to keep it up to date. Ie, provide strip info and get a link to their site.

There are lists and info out there, but current conditions and facilities has always been the problem.

User updates are good but the quality of that info needs to be considered.

Can the mobile app link into data on this site? that way it can be updated from the app and on a PC too?

Good spot for clubs to put in fly in details, events, ect.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Great ideas guys...keep them coming as these comments will form the requirements that I will give the developer...thanks, looks like it might be a goer

• Like 2

I agree with scre80

It seems to me that the airfields link on this site doesn't get used as much as it could. But if it was a direct copy of what was on "the app" and if it was easy to add and edit through the app then IMO it would become a heaps better resource. Of course it would still need to be able to be added/edited through this site with a pc as well.

Also I wonder how hard it would be to have each airfield sendable to ozrunways or avplan. By that I mean if we touched and held on a certain airfield it would come up with the option to send to our ozrunways app (or avplan) it obviously wouldn't need all the info to be sent just the location and a name so it could be added as a waypoint in those particular apps. I think this option would be priceless as otherwise it might just stagnate and not be utilised as much as it could be.

• Like 5

Great idea.

If there was the ability to update as fuel etc. became available or other airfield improvements.

I'm thinking of used Lethbridge Victoria, as there are constantly upgrades taking place with Mogas, Avgas and Jet bowsers going in at the moment.

Lots of new hangars going up.

There would be 2 avenues for that. The airfield owner etc and users of the airfield. Both could add their updates into their app copies and sync it. This would then populate every other user's copy when they sync

• Like 2

Ok this looks a goer so I will get on to the developer to do it. I am guessing about 4 weeks before a beta but I will keep you all informed.

First milestone will be requirements created...Thur 28th April

• Like 2

Ok this looks a goer so I will get on to the developer to do it. I am guessing about 4 weeks before a beta but I will keep you all informed.First milestone will be requirements created...Thur 28th April

Did you want beta testers? And is the app for IOS, Android or both?

I think it would have to be for Android to start off with as I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, S7, S5, S4 and Galaxy 12inch, 10 insh and 8 inch tablets. So it is easy for testing the initual beta. After it all looks ok and testing by some users I will get it ported to IOS. I have an ipad Air 2 for testing but will have to get some users to test on mini and iphones. The biggest job is to get the requirements right so keep the ideas coming. However, instead of waterfall development I will use Agole so this means that after the basics are right we can keep improving it with more features.

• Like 4

Top idea, particularly like the bit about Android as RWY is very limited in its info on non ERSA airfields, of which there are plenty. User acccepts all risk for accuracy is essential so if possible, contacts to check the status of the field would be good.

Yes, I would see important info would be proposed by one user and confirmed by another...I don't think users of this type of app would be so low. I will add some form of user registration into it before a copy of the app can be sync'd, will have to think about this a bit.

Half way through writing the requirements now then when done I will submit to developers for a quote and pick one.

Please note that this concept we are talking about here belongs to Recreational Flying and can't be copied by ozrunways etc.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Here is the first cut of the requirements that I will be giving a developer. I am unsure whether they can be done as I am not a mobile app developer so no doubt the developer will advise.

PLEASE, if you have any requirement suggestions for a first release must have version then quickly post here as I hope to have a developer appointed by Monday.

Platform:

Initial development for android phones and tablets

Can later be ported to IOS phones and tablets

Can be used in both portrait and landscape

Interface:

Slide out menu from left side as default with user option to change to right side

Menu access is by hamburger icon tap at top left or right corner (use setting determines position)

Menu items to have icons left of text options

Opening screen to have app name, Recreational Flying label with logo and disclaimer text

User option to change colour theme blue, black/grey, green, red and orange (optional or just blue theme of Recreational Flying web site)

Menu items:

Current location

Airfield list

Add airfield

Text Location

Links

Sync (update)

Recreational Flying

Settings

Exit

Current Location:

Page opens displaying Google Map/Earth showing marker of your current location and airfields in proximity

Tap marker to display basic airfield information in popup. Tap X to close popup

Tap popup to display full airfield information in slide out screen. Tap X to close slide out

Airfield List

Horizontal list of airfields in alphabetical order by airfield name

Filter button with drop down choices of airfield types that when selected filters the list

A sort button that will sort the airfields list in closest to furthest from current location (optional for first release)

Search field for airfield name

Tap airfield entry to get slide out window of all airfield information

Slide out all airfield information has button to tap to view airfield on google map/earth

Slide out all airfield information has edit button that when tapped opens edit window for comments etc

Add Airfield

Form is displayed to add an airfield

Airfield entry has validation check on airfield name, lat and long etc to prevent duplicates

Save button

Text Location

Opens popup for user to send text to a contact with auto insertion of current location

Links

Opens window with pre entered links like naips, met etc

Add button so use can add own links (not sync'd)

Sync (update)

Automatically sync's user changes/additions etc to main web based database and uploads database changes to user's copy

Recreational Flying

Tap to open the Recreational Flying web site

Settings

Tap to open user defined settings

Uninstall button

User name

Colour theme (optional for first release)

Local airfield

Phone number (used with a tick box to add to local airfield for other pilots to catch up with)

Exit

Close the app

• Like 2

The fields that will be captured are:

Airfield name

Airfield code

Airfield type

Lat and long

Altitude

Physical address

Runways

- Runway length