I need a headset...

Hey All,

After 41 years after getting my PPL and not continuing to fly, I'm jumping in head first once again. I've taken my first lesson and am hooked once again. Can I get some recommendations of an affordable yet good quality headset? I'll be flying 172's for the moment.

Thanks!

As you're in the US, probably best to ask your instructor and talk to other local pilots. There are plenty of choices. A used pair of Dave Clarks would be a good start, or maybe Lightspeed Sierra if you want an ANR set, which is probably preferable. Try a few different ones to see which suits you best.

rgmwa

• Agree 1

I started with the sierra and bang for buck couldn't beat them, but my recommendation would be a used set of Zulus/Bose as it would be about the same price even with replacement earpads and mic protector. Not cheap by any means but great value compared to the passive sets.

• Haha 1

I'm very happy with my Sennheiser set, and a big plus is that if the battery goes flat, which has happened to me, they still work, you just lose the noise cancelling. I'm told that in a Bose, they stop working altogether, which you don't want in a busy circuit pattern. On the other hand, Sennheiser have decided to go out of the aviation headset business. It's not clear how this will affect the availability of spares past the warranty period.

I decided to go for a set of David Clark 13.4.

Seemed the best compromise between price, ruggedness and quality.

If money was no object I'd have gone for an ANR set from Lightspeed or Bose. However it'd be over the top for my needs.

Hey All,After 41 years after getting my PPL and not continuing to fly, I'm jumping in head first once again. I've taken my first lesson and am hooked once again. Can I get some recommendations of an affordable yet good quality headset? I'll be flying 172's for the moment.

Thanks!

Hello Dan, I would just comment that if you are able to carry on with a conversation in a crowded room or with music blaring, your hearing is probably still good and any of the headsets are probably alright. My story is that I have spent 50+ years working in noisy cattle yards and many thousands of hours operating heavy machinery with straight though stacks, wearing ear protection that would make "Bob the builder" play sets look first class. So my hearing is far from ideal. This being the case, I was having terrible trouble understanding the radio calls and seriously thinking I would have to give up flying, when my wife presented me with Zulu noise cancelling headset.Probably sick of my whinging , she had done some research and now I am extreamly grateful to her , that she purchased them for me. In my own mind I would never of spent that much money, but even for just the safety aspect , probably makes it , worth it. But I must warn you, it doesn't cut out the foreign accents, machine gun transmissions, one breath wonders, or the up and down the scale singers. Good luck , Andy

• Like 1

IMO, Don't buy cheapies. Get good comfortable headsets that you can wear for 3-4 hours without getting pains on the sides of your head or a pain across the top where the headband goes. Also, noise cancelling is good for being able to hear others transmissions and good for reducing noise fatigue.

• Agree 2

I second cscotthendrys' post - I started with a cheap headset, and was really frustrated in missing or not being able to hear radio calls, as well as conversations with the instructor - I tried a friends Bose A20 - and was sold. My next birthday present to myself was a brand new pair of A20's ! I went all in and got the bluetooth model - which means I can use the mobile through the headset as well - handy backup in case of radio failure - and with Siri on the iPhone you don't need to take your hands off the controls.

I consider them a lifetime investment - and a safety item - not hearing a vital call, or worse mis-hearing it could really ruin your day, and at the very least result in a lot of paperwork, and the comfort factor makes flying even more enjoyable, and the initial pain of purchase quickly fades :)

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Rugged radios have some very good sets in the US the set I got is fantastic and I use hearing aids in normal life but they are not needed at all with the rugged set,.

• 5 months later...
Rugged radios have some very good sets in the US the set I got is fantastic and I use hearing aids in normal life but they are not needed at all with the rugged set,.

Hey All,After 41 years after getting my PPL and not continuing to fly, I'm jumping in head first once again. I've taken my first lesson and am hooked once again. Can I get some recommendations of an affordable yet good quality headset? I'll be flying 172's for the moment.

Thanks!

Welcome aboard, I am a new member myself. I have been using a soft comm headset from aircraft spruce aviation supply company since 2007 it rugged, comfortable, reasonably priced. Wore it 5 hour cross country no pain. Company is in California. Give one a try. Cheers Bob