From South Carolina

victapilot

I found this site a few days ago while searching for any info about the RAC NSW (Bankstown)

I learned to fly around 1963 in a Victa Airtourer 115. VH-RSJ was my solo airplane, but I flew others as well. However, I never got past my solo endorsement. I was very surprised that the Bankstown operation appears to have folded, and was trying to find details.

Unlike some other posters, I don't remember names etc. I lost my logbook and box of flight time receipts when I left Australia in 1967.

I did chat with another guy who went through the air cadet pilot scholarship program there, but that's a long time ago.

Now, I mostly fly model planes.

Flew out of Bankstown for a few years at around that time mostly Austers from Illlawarra... BDQ/ AMK. . Ferried CRR from Newcastle to Bankstown (Private owned 2 seat Auster which had been repaired at RNAC) . Flew both 100 and 115 Victa's at West Maitland (Rutherford) for evaluation, but didn't log the times, so I can't give you the dates, when they first went on sale. Flew V 100 MUL and V 115 MVL briefly in 1964 out of Rutherford. Didn't fly with RAC as they had me do an extensive dual cross country in a 172 out around Cootamundra and it cost a lot and wasn't appropriate as I was fully recent on more difficult types so they didn't get a second chance to build their finances with me. Nev

• Like 1

VH-RSJ is now based at Kyneton in Victoria. Still going strong, I think with a 150HP conversion.

Thanks! I had seen that, and wondered if it was original, or if the rego had been transferred to a newer airframe. They must be a joy to fly with 150 hp. The club had one or two 100 hp versions also, climb rate was sluggish. The 115's were reserved first! I think VH-RSH was 100 hp??

I guessed that my solo was around 1963, but the plane was built in 1965. It was almost brand new when I flew it. I wish I had my docs.

According to the David Wise list at Airtourer RSJ was first registered in 1965.

124 Victa Airtourer 115 6/65 (ZK-CLF ntu) (6/65) VH-RSJ (dgd Camden NSW cx 12/82 reb rest 7/83) current

Of course that must be wrong as you flew it in 63. I learned to fly in a 1963 registered AT115 which was VH-MVF and then did some solo time in AT100 VH-CNO, all in 1970-71. I can confirm a lack of get up and go at ground temperatures around 40 degrees ! That's me in the photo.

MVF063.jpg.1dd4cc950adb0a951a74ff07cad540b4.jpg

Listed on the Australian Aircraft Register as year of mfr 1965. I flew a few hours in VH-CTM, an Airtourer 100, when it was operated by Civil Flying School at Moorabbin. Got one of my biggest scares in that aircraft. Quite a bit of turbulence at about 200ft on final when I somehow knocked the trim control out of its notch and and suddenly went nose down trim. There were also power lines along the road at the north of the airport boundary. I was with an instructor who quickly recovered the situation and landed. Got the heart racing.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! No worries, I'll just say "early 60's".

I understand some of the RACNSW archives might be in the hands of the NSW Public Library. That would make interesting reading.

One of my regrets is that I never flew a Chipmunk. You had to buy your own headset, and I was already in too deep as a part time uni student.