ozrunway flyers out and about today....

Downunder

I think he was making a little bit of fun of the fact that Jabiru is an Australian manufactured aircraft where temps are often over 40 C but the aircraft is limited to 38C.....

But I could be wrong....

• Caution 1

No, it was a genuine question, as when I was training(in a Foxbat) at the "OAKS" my FI said it was very bumpy & too hot for the other flight school to use their Jabiru's.spacesailor

FI could have been an ex used car salesman.

I have heard similar statements from Tecnam pilots justifying their choice of aircraft purchase.

Mostly the Holden V Ford banter.

All good fun.

• Agree 1

The issue is that the GRP Jabiru are made from begins to loose some strength over certain temps. It isn't much until quite hot but 38 is the number selected. This related to new aircraft and would allow for Tarmac heat soak etc

Fact is over time structure gets stronger and less prone to heat softening.

I have flown some little aircraft over 40 deg days and it's awful. In saying that it's cooled to 35 at around 2000 ft

Other reasons not to be up there than a POH limit.

The temp limit wasn't for engine cooling, many can handle high ambient no problem

Hot conditions lead to turbulent air and very rough flight

Don't learn much and can break confidence struggling with these conditions

I heard the temperature limit is because of fuel vaporization issues. I won't fly when it's hot because my Jabiru is just too light and get tossed about too much. I like to enjoy my flying.

turbulent air!

I loved my "roller-coaster" rides, Cross winds kept my instructor alert as when landing at the "Oaks" the wind whistles abit through the gap between the buildings.

And don't forget the Police helicopter practicing touch & goes next to your runway. all great fun and sadly missed.

spacesailor

Fuel vapourizes the same no matter what aircraft its put in.

The Jab limit is because of material it's made from. Ask them. Plenty of other reasons to stop when it gets that hot though.

• Agree 1