airfield operators insurance

Can anyone give me an idea of the cost of airfield operators insurance. I may have the opportunity to make use of a disused private airfield but the owner wants protection from liability. I would be happy to pay but would like to have an idea of what i need and how much it costs.

Cheers

Bill

Can anyone give me an idea of the cost of airfield operators insurance. I may have the opportunity to make use of a disused private airfield but the owner wants protection from liability. I would be happy to pay but would like to have an idea of what i need and how much it costs.Cheers

Bill

If it's only you using it, couldn't you write the owner a letter absolving him of responsibility/liability? (Perhaps with legal help). You will still have your own third party insurance which would cover any damage you cause should the worst happen.

If it's only you using it, couldn't you write the owner a letter absolving him of responsibility/liability? (Perhaps with legal help). You will still have your own third party insurance which would cover any damage you cause should the worst happen.

You can't hand off a tort.

Get some quotes. It will depend which State/Territory you are in. A few years back there was a lot of liability law reform intended to reduce insurance premiums. ...They didn't. But what they did do is make it very hard (almost impossible) to sue a medical doctor for negligence or someone engaged in recreational activities that are inherently dangerous such as flying light planes. Have a read of the NSW Civil Liability Act. Some law shops have published layman's summaries. You may find that showing these summaries to the landholder might do away with the need for insurance. Its not quite true that you can't hand over tort liability...you can agree with the landowner to indemnify him or her for any losses (this is what insurance companies agree to do) ..but of course the kicker is if you don't have enough money. As i said previously, unless you are running commercial flights (not just a flying school), the Civil Labor Act should be sufficient protection. It always annoys me with this liability stuff.....with the exception of the tort of nuisance (which is generally about environmental damage to another person's land), you have to do (or not do) something wrong or bad to be liable, that is you have to be negligent (such as breach a standard) for negligence, or do an positive act (such as tamper with an aircraft) for a trespass. Is just an insurance company scam.

• Informative 1

You are onto a real issue with having an aerodrome. Others can use it or will. You won't have total control of that aspect. I feel the "Show" must go on and If people are deterred from doing things like this by impossible Liabilities we are all losing out. Losing sleep over concerns is not on. I have hosted events on several properties at times and always had public Liability Insurance. I personally wouldn't operate without it, and I think the amount is 20 million as a good figure at the moment, But may be corrected on that. Nev

but of course the kicker is if you don't have enough money

That's basically the reason for the insurance. Be realistic, how much damage to people and property (apart from starting a bush fire) could you do with a light plane on a strip remote from settlements.

I think the amount is 20 million as a good figure at the moment

That seems to be the normal amount covered in car, boat and personal public liability policies.I think the question you should settle with the land owner is 'Who is liable for the maintenance of the strip including approach paths in a safe, usable condition?'

OME

20 Mill public liability is about the norm in this day and age for most things.

I would think that there would not be to many businesses around who would not be carrying the sort of cover.