Maintenance Question

Roscoe

Can an owner/Pilot do Scheduled Oil changes and Inspections on own Aircraft only used privately?

Or must this be done by an L1 or 2.

I know in GA Casa has a schedule of items that a Pilot can perform, quite extensive.

Yes you can, even pilots of VH certified aircraft can do that. CASA schedule 8 applies

As a raaus pilot you become an L1 after doing a simple theory test, then annual inspections can be performed on your own aircraft.

Edited by Thruster88

Section 11.3 of the tech manual explains what an L1 can do.....start at 11.1.....

https://www.raa.asn.au/storage/2-raaus-technical-manual-issue-4-single-pages.pdf

Owners can obtain this qualification and do their own servicing.

If you cannot obtain or do not feel competent, then I would suggest you employ an L2 for your own safety.

3.2 Competence to carry out work

3.2.1 An individual that has completed the mandatory RAAus L1 or higher

training process and has the appropriate qualifications and experience to

carry out maintenance on an aircraft or aeronautical product may carry

out the maintenance in accordance with the manufacturer’s schedule to

ensure the continuing airworthiness of the aircraft.

• Like 1

3.2.1 An individual that has completed the mandatory RAAus L1 or higher training process and has the appropriate qualifications and experience

The keyword in that is "experience". We all know of people in a multitude of fields who have textbook knowledge, but you would not let them do practical application of that knowledge without supervision.

:busted:

GRAMMAR POLICE

"An individual that has" is incorrectly used in the sentence. "That" is used when describing a thing - He was a member of the team that won the competition. "Who" is used when describing a person - An individual who has completed ...

• Like 1

Section 11.3 of the tech manual explains what an L1 can do.....start at 11.1.....

https://www.raa.asn.au/storage/2-raaus-technical-manual-issue-4-single-pages.pdf

Owners can obtain this qualification and do their own servicing.

If you cannot obtain or do not feel competent, then I would suggest you employ an L2 for your own safety.

3.2.1 An individual that has completed the mandatory RAAus L1 or higher

training process and has the appropriate qualifications and experience to

carry out maintenance on an aircraft or aeronautical product may carry

out the maintenance in accordance with the manufacturer’s schedule to

ensure the continuing airworthiness of the aircraft.

Thanks for that

That clarifies it very well.

From observation now over many years I reckon it's easier to make people into pilots that teach them aero mechanics skills . Many pilots have no feel whatsoever for brakes and engines or airframe loads either.. I have no idea where you would start to teach a wide ranging group "Practical Skills' that assessed accurately how they'd perform to a required Assessable level and I have taught Tech subjects in High Schools in a past life . They had self selected moreso for the senior years so that goes a long way to getting a more solid result from such a base.

Building a plane?? Surely making test pieces first (you DO with wood, and test them for performance) and should keep them as proof of quality and being shown the right way of going about it. BEFORE you build anything that's going to be part of an operational aeroplane. Anyhow WE now do so little of it , outside of SAAA it's not going to get much attention unless there's a big change of focus. Just fork out substantial amount s of money . Not all can or want to do that.. Personally IF I can't work on MY plane, I'm not that Interested in flying it being any type I'm likely to afford, it's not going to be a corporate jet. Nev

• Like 1

DONE properly I believe it can be safer, but we are years behind where we could have been. Education beats legislation, ticking boxes and penalties. Oz could have emulated the US example, but we don't know what we don't know.. Nev