Site Update Comments

Admin

2 minutes ago, horsefeathers said:

In the What's New (All) main page, there is no original creation date  - there used to be a date showing when the topic (not replies) was originally created/

Can that be displayed, as I cant tell whether was created 2 weeks or 10 years previously

I will look into it

46 minutes ago, horsefeathers said:

In the What's New (All) main page, there is no original creation date  - there used to be a date showing when the topic (not replies) was originally created/

Can that be displayed, as I cant tell whether was created 2 weeks or 10 years previously

Unfortunately the data to pull out the thread creation date is not accessible without editing core software files...if it is a MUST HAVE then I would need to get @Ahmed Zayed to code it but it would not be an advisable exercise

46 minutes ago, Admin said:

Unfortunately the data to pull out the thread creation date is not accessible without editing core software files...if it is a MUST HAVE then I would need to get @Ahmed Zayed to code it but it would not be an advisable exercise

Okay, will add this feature tonight (Egypt Time) 

Regards, 

• Winner 1

Hi Ian, all looks to be shaping up nicely when viewed on my old laptop!

Thanks for the ongoing dedication of you and your team in continuing to provide a great site and a terrific resource.

For newbies: there have been a few moves of the site over the years. Yes, they can tend to seem wrenching, but they do shake down nicely.

Can we have a What's New All below What's New on the left hand side? It's not a biggy, I'm just lazy.

Thanks again,

Bob

Hi again. Am viewing on Windows laptop. The Notifications alert doesn't seem to be working, though the bold or light type indicating read/unread content is. Just in case you didn't know.

Thanks again.

Bob

• Agree 1

I had a feeling something was missing, then it dawned on me. When you select Aircraft,you get the list of categories. What is missing is the list of added aircraft with thumbnails, in latest addition order. I know it's in the smaller right column of the page, with my avatar against every record (who wants to see that?), and the categories listed above it  --  twice on the same page. See attached screenprint.

When someone comes to the page, to see what has been added, they may not know what an Alpa 2000 looks like. They have to open that profile to see. If they are not interested in that category they have to go back to the home page. If they know what they are looking for, they can select the category and find it alphabetically.

1635391476_Aircrafthomepage.thumb.JPG.b564cfda1288119f40e08fae42d6b321.JPG

Yes, me again. Hope you don't mind.

There is an awful lot of white space on the aircraft category index page. See below.

My suggestion is:

1. Move the stats summary and avatar as indicated

2. Spread the description across the page.

3. My credit is not required if the avatar is there.

This should reduce area A to the size of B (or even smaller), allowing more aircraft to fit on the screen.

PS. It would also help if the thumbnail could be a link to the profile. At present the aircraft title is the only link.

1990751090_Aircraftindexpage.thumb.JPG.ef0d631c75daa72376b08c2ebbf1b861.JPG

We must take a moment and give EXTREME thanks to @Ahmed Zayed for spending hours all night developing a way to migrate all the Aircraft in the Aircraft Section...if he hadn't been able to achieve this then we would have been stuck on xenforo and the gaming style web site software direction they are now going...words would fail me to say how appreciative I am for him doing this and as I am sure you all are as well.

Now, the Aircraft section uses an open style part of the software, that is I can create a separate database and pages that calls data from that database for anything I like, and that the site needs, unlike the closed software sections that are pre-built like the Forums, Gallery, Groups, Calendar etc. There are several databases I want to create for the site like Tutorials, Famous Aviators, etc and I would like to have them all have the same look and feel to make it easier for users and thus the Aircraft section would be amongst them. Once I have completed the migration etc of the closed software sections I will come up with a design that will suit all the database driven pages. I hope this helps to explain the process that I am taking

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Admin said:

We must take a moment and give EXTREME thanks to @Ahmed Zayed for spending hours all night developing a way to migrate all the Aircraft in the Aircraft Section...if he hadn't been able to achieve this then we would have been stuck on xenforo and the gaming style web site software direction they are now going...words would fail me to say how appreciative I am for him doing this and as I am sure you all are as well.

you are welcome rent a car GIF by Sixt

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Winner 6

Update...

Been working on the First Class membership program

The Blogs have been migrated over but I am not happy the way they look on a 1024x768 screen (like iPads)...will work on that

Looked at migrating the Groups over however an addon that will provide categories for Groups (is needed) hasn't been updated to this version of software yet...bummer, will keep pursuing

I don't think there is any point migrating the upcoming Events until we can get past COVID

There is a lot more to do but is there anything URGENT that you need???

Oh, also @Ahmed Zayed has done some work on minimising some of the excess white space which has resulted in a better look...in my opinion, hope yours as well, and there is still some more work to do in that area but not a priority at this stage

1 hour ago, old man emu said:

Please, can the date  be displayed in the Australian way dd/mm/yyyy, instead of the American way?

Thanks for letting me know...Is it now in dd/mm/yyyy format for you now?

8 minutes ago, Deskpilot said:

Don't know what you've done but I don't like it.

What is it about it that you don't like? Please let me know so I can see what the issues may be