1/2 Volkswagon alternative

Tigershark21

All this just shows how difficult it is to produce a simple motor of about 80 HP and upwards. For a long time the two strokes HAD this sector of the aero engine market  on cost and power to weight.. Where has the "D" motor gone?. ( and many others). Nev

8 minutes ago, facthunter said:

All this just shows how difficult it is to produce a simple motor of about 80 HP and upwards. For a long time the two strokes HAD this sector of the aero engine market  on cost and power to weight.. Where has the "D" motor gone?. ( and many others). Nev

Rotax could produce a very nice 80hp aircraft two stroke using E-Tec, the direct injection gives near 4stroke fuel efficiency and the computer takes care of piston temps by always having correct mixture. Just need to lose the variable exhaust and reduce max rpm to 6500.

https://www.rotax.com/en/products/rotax-powertrains/details/rotax-600-ho-e-tec.html

True . That technology has been in racing outboards and probably proven . I just don't like very BUSY (sounding) engines taking me through the sky usually with a harmonic between the engine and prop as well, that gets to you after a while.  Nev

• Agree 1

Yes. I commented on the Verner a while back. You'd think they would have been able to make a go of it..

The aeromarine layout looks good . There's some advantages with Vee engines  over FLAT fours and twins (less so the sixes).. Use it and chuck it is probably realistic when it's mass produced.. I favour air cooled, if it can be done effectively.. Not usually a good thing with multi valve heads Nev

Edited by facthunter

The most Successful home made motor is SAINTY.

www.speedworks.net.au

Can we get them to make a Tiny motor for us flyers.

Gas Guzzlers have nothing on the drinking habits of a Sainty motor at full throttle.

YouTube · Ben Winstone
2:17
Sainty Top Fuel Dragster start up in pits at Sydney Dragway
Jun 17, 2015

spacesailor

But,!.

You wouldn,t need most of the 3,000 dyno hp.

Or that massive RPM,

Depowered will definitely last a lot longer, but a drag car only needs 10 seconds of power, and doesn't even have a radiator.

As drag car,s go, Sainty lasts much longer than most of their competitors, befor it goes in the bin.

spacesailor