Airbus moves forward with flapping wings concept

onetrack

Interesting developments in new wing technology are proceeding satisfactorily at Airbus, as they seek to emulate the advantages in the wings of birds, by trying to adapt birds wing motions to new aircraft wing designs.

I guess nothing has really changed since early times, as Man looked to the sky, and wished to emulate the flying ability of birds!

https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/stories/freely-flapping-wing-tips-took-a-leap-forward.html

• Like 2

The Wandering Albatross is the master of dynamic soaring & tagged ones have circled the globe using little energy and virtually no wing flapping. Then again they can move their entire wing as required not just the tips.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/10/2020 at 2:42 PM, Jim McDowall said:

It seems that Airbus is looking for a new way to crash aircraft. Their track record on complex systems is not great.

That said, interesting concept - maybe I will try it on the Jab!

Actually, their track record is pretty good....I'm pretty sure virtually every A series crash investigation I've read about involved pilots flying a perfectly good aircraft into the ground because they didn't know what they were doing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree Jim. It's brilliant. The problem (structural)  with adding more wing to a jab is that the loads become too great at the required "g" forces. So if you arrange for the outboard wing section to hinge up, this can remove the the structural load when needed. I reckon we are seeing the first stirrings of a new way of building planes which will have glider-like performance...   

I reckon though that a whole new wing would be needed for the Jab. It would be much higher aspect ratio than the present one.