The worst aviation scene in a movie. (Spoiler alert, Wonder Woman 1984)

Marty_d

1 hour ago, Old Koreelah said:

American movies have car tyres squeeling on dirt roads, so why not?

Don't forget every movie where the cops come racing up to an incident has the tyres chirping as they stop. Every. Single. One.

Movie with the longest running joke - using propeller sounds in a jet aircraft

Or a turboprop. San Andreas had a typical IO-540 startup sound when the hero was starting the Caravan.

I think it was 2012 that had a C340 shutdown with the props winding down like a turboprop, not the rapid stop of a piston engine. Then there was the scene of them flying through the currently-being-destroyed Los Angeles and they've got full aileron applied and the bank angle isn't increasing. 🤮

The KRviatrix hates watching movies with me. We were watching one of her post-zombie-apocalyptic shows and the survivors are walking down an "abandoned" railway line. I asked her "Hon, how long has it been since everyone died there?" and she said "probably about 6 months...". I pointed to the rails and said "Then why are the tracks still shiny?"  and promptly got punched in the ribs...😆

• Like 2

lets not get into those details....
it upsets me that every dirt motorcycle in Hollywood is a 2-stroke. (most noticeable is terminator 2 - high pitch 2 stroke sound, over the low revving 4 stroke Honda XR)
or magically changing tyres as they go from road to dirt and back (mission impossible 2, special mention to Torque for swapping bikes completely)

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, spenaroo said:

it upsets me that every dirt motorcycle in Hollywood is a 2-stroke. (most noticeable is terminator 2 - high pitch 2 stroke sound, over the low revving 4 stroke Honda XR)

Plus I think that bike had about 30 gears.

Still one of my favourite movies ever though.

3 hours ago, spenaroo said:

LOL, this reminds me of my young days in the film industry in Sydney. Supreme Sound Studios where I worked (as an assistant in the sound and editing departments) was involved in the production of a kids TV series called The Adventures of the Seaspray which Wiki describes as  "a 1967 Australian TV series about a widower journalist who travels the Pacific with his children in a sailing boat.[1]" (

TT

It so happened that the storyline of some episodes involved a small, yellow, float-equipped biplane which could land alongside the good yacht "Seaspray" to assist tracking down whichever seaborne crooks the team was pursuing that week.

We, at Supreme, had nothing to do with the shooting of the series, just aspects of the post production. I believe that some of the filming was done using flying RC models and also a non-flying - but floating - mock-up for use in the 'alongside' shots and some studio 'flying' scenes.  Come to think of it, I doubt that any real aircraft were harmed (even employed) in the filming of these adventures.

Anyway, I worked with the sound editing and mixing guys.  When it came to laying up the sound effects for the aeroplane scenes, I realised that they were planning to use whatever random "airplane FX" were at hand.  Even at 17, I was grossed out by the idea  (as much out of a passion for films as for flying, I think - along with a certain youthful arrogance  ;- )  As it happened, not long before, I'd taken myself off to Bankstown to cash in a voucher for a $5 TIF (in a C150) plus, I'd just got into parachuting at Camden airport. So, given these few contacts I had with the aviation world I was able to track down a bloke at Camden who flew a Tiger Moth and I arranged a flight with him in order to record a range of 'biplane' sound effects according to the needs of the scenes. I figured that these, at least, would have some ring of truth to them (more so than the Merlin noises otherwise lined up!).  Anyway, the guys at work were happy for me to go ahead with that plan and, as far as I remember, those FX made it into the episode. I can't claim, though, that those hard-won, semi-authentic sounds did much to save the episode from its myriad other implausibilities  ;- )

Anyway, I still remember that flight very well; my first - and, so far, only - biplane ride.  I remember the pilot apologising for not being able to do the aerobatics I'd asked for due to the battery on board not being approved for upside down work.  

But in researching (and fact checking ;- ) this little memory jog, I went a-googling for those Seaspray episodes with the little yellow bipe in them.  No luck with that, but I did come across these eps (below) that happen to have a separate - also fascinating - aviation angle. 

I suggest jumping straight to around 12:00 in this YT vid and checking out the real (and recent) airplane wreck of a DH Heron (?) that the producers had (seemingly opportunistically) managed to weave into their ... (ahem) 'drama'.

As far as I can work out, it's the wreck of VQ-FAX which crashed on landing at Nausori, Fiji in 1966 (without loss of life).  I suppose it must have happened just months before the filming took place. Quick thinking on the producers' part. No way the budget could have stretched to a realistic wreck if that one hadn't fallen into their laps.  (Not the 'realistic' had ever been a problem before. LOL)

https://www.baaa-acro.com/operator/fiji-airways

RELEVANT BIT FROM 12:00 - 13:30

Edited by Garfly
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, pmccarthy said:

I watched that show in black and white when I was an early teenager. Fancied the girl in the tight shorts.

So authentic sound effects - or plausible plots - were not top of mind, then. 

(I needn't have bothered. ;- )

Edited by Garfly
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, pmccarthy said:

I watched that show in black and white when I was an early teenager. Fancied the girl in the tight shorts.

Early teenagers fancy anything vaguely female with a pulse.

4 hours ago, Flightrite said:

I used to like driving the suck me blow me twin

Well who wouldn't?