Aircraft into power line 26/06/2022

I was a chainman for a country surveyor. We got a job to survey the subdivision of a dairy farm.  The farmer advised he had switched off the electric fence. I had several tripods and very expensive theodolites/laser gear on my shoulder when I stepped over the fence in my shorts. 

Somehow, I still managed to conceive children some years later, but at the time my boss threatened to remove my scorched kahoonies for recklessly launching the theodolites, etc into the air. 

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

15 hours ago, pmccarthy said:

Continuing the off topic, I was a chainman in a survey office when someone walked away from a theodolite set up on the centreline of a railway track. Along came the train…

OMG That's a hoot!

• Like 1

Continuing Off Topic! 😉... A banana farmer friend of mine, had a spray rig with the booms up, attached to his tractor and parked near the shed, heard an explosion, went out to find a rear tyre on the tractor, blown out. A new tyre was fitted but it didn`t take long for it to explode.

The cause: The tractor was parked close enough to the powerlines going to the shed, that the wind had blown the lines onto one of the spray booms.

Franco.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

And yet more off topic: I was part of a job on Paramushir, a Russian island off the Kamchatka peninsula. We were there midwinter, power on the island was from huge ships engines driving generators in a building out back of town, we were commissioning a fish processing plant on the coast out the front of town: an experience I'm really glad I had, but that I wouldn't choose to repeat.

The power made it's way from them to us via aluminium cables on wooden poles with wooden crosstrees. It snowed and blew a great deal, the wind driven snow would build on the upwind side of the poles, the power would then track down the pole, and eventually incinerate it. As we went to work each morning we would count the missing/burnt pole stumps, with the crosstrees still holding the wires apart, but sagged right down near the snow covered ground........

• Informative 2

But wait! there`s more!!! one with a better outcome, 😉....When I was sugar cane harvesting, I was turning the harvester around at the end of the row to go into the next row and I caught the stay wire, with the top of the elevator, high up, on a wooden power pole, at the end of the paddock! I wondered what was holding me back until I saw the pole shaking violently and the farmer standing beside it, with a look of horror on his face.

I knew the pole was there but wanting the job done as quick as, I forgot about it! had the pole been a bit weaker or the machine a bit stronger, I probably would have brought the whole lot down on top of me and the farmer.

Franco.

• Like 2