Guess the plane

Guest Pioneer200

Guest Maj Millard

What is this WW1 UL replica styled after ??... Clues, a very popular german 'hack' used by pilots on their off days, or to travel between airfields, or to Berlin on leave. Also the first aircraft in which Richtofen served in as a gunner, before he became a pilot. The only German type to have served from start to end of WW1. Not a fighter, but originally a two seater with one pilot and one gunner.....................................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

P1260713.JPG.705f42d4f9449c85714eb6f2cab2ed1e.JPG

P1260711.JPG.e1debb689d7932860a918dcd83af683b.JPG

P1260710.JPG.7f646677607470ca0128854305359497.JPG

P1260693.JPG.208bd4a6b7dbd5b4029cdb645826f714.JPG

P1260695.JPG.2b38bfa1c98a57de85f906b06b6c08c4.JPG

P1260715.JPG.92af139660f45ff10d8585852d6e12a8.JPG

Guest Maj Millard

Correcto....you get the cigar !!....both wings on this C1 are swept as I used the pressed alum wing-ribs from the Easy-riser, courtesy of Larry Mauro the Easy-Riser designer. About 10 deg of sweep from memory. One of the few Bipes with sweep on both wings. Good job Stanzahero you'r a winner !....................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
i think that some of the military transports Hercs etc can back up by reversing the prop pitch. I'm sure some one on here more informed than I can advise.Davidh

You're dead right there David, and so could the old Caribou's.

I have seen them demonstrate that capability at airshows, along with the Caribou doing their famous wheel-barrow act. Flying with just the nosewheel on the deck using full flaps and heaps of grunt from the engines. It's spectacular to watch and very noisey

Regards

Planey

Quite a few Military and Civilian A/C can "Reverse". These range from: RAAF C17 Globemaster and AP3C Orion, RAF Tornado and Eurofighter. Civilian A/C (mostly airliners) can utilise reverse thrust in 'some' situations, ie reversing out from terminals, although they rarely do it as it can cause problems to those working in the vicinity. I believe that problems that limit the amount of reverse A/C use is mainly 'Hot Oil' and therefore low oil pressure, and of course FOD.

Guest Sharp End
RAF Tornado and Eurofighter. Civilian A/C (mostly airliners) can utilise reverse thrust in 'some' situations, ie reversing out from terminals, although they rarely do it as it can cause problems to those working in the vicinity. I believe that problems that limit the amount of reverse A/C use is mainly 'Hot Oil' and therefore low oil pressure, and of course FOD.

Hi Chrisso,

The Tornado has thrust reverse but in day-to-day operations it's not used below 50kts groundspeed due to reingestion problems - hot air and FOD are not good for compressors and RB199s are expensive. So while technically you're correct, we never backed the Tonka using reverse thrust, just a tug like everyone else.

S-E

I second that, i never saw or heard of a tonka, using reverse thrust to reverse backwards, we always used a tug.The reverse thrust clam shells, when deployed, i would imagine, also would become very very hot, if used to try and reverse the jet, as alot of power would be needed to get the jet moving backwards.

I just want to add, its been a long time Nov 1999, since i worked on tonka,s, i do remember though went we did engine runs after maintence, the sumpies used to deploy the reverse buckets, as apart of their checks, (to make sure they worked as advertised) they only had them deployed for about 3-4 seconds at a time, because the bucket (clams) did get hot quite quicky from the engine exhaust, we used to inspect them alot for cracks.

Getting a bit off the topic here, but I have seen on many occasions (Paris Air Show/Farnborough Airshow), the Tornado demonstrating its capability to reverse -usually on the runway after a short landing - no doubt assisted by reverse thrust. Just for info, the Russian IL62 (russian version of the BAC VC10), has reverse thrust operating often at about 30' (very short final/s), before touch down!!! The pictures seen recently shows the 'Buckets' you are talking about fully selected at this point.

A Vickers Vimy made it all the way from the UK down to Adelaide Airport where it is sitting in a display..., courtesy of Ross and Keith Smith.

I recall a few times at Minneapolis where we used reverse thrust to power out of the gate, instead of a tug. Must have sandblasted the wall of the terminal, not to mention the FOD. :jump: