Guess the plane

Guest Pioneer200

Nev, Wyverns started with RR Eagle 46H Piston engine then were refitted with RR RB Clyde R.C.3 turbos. Later refitted again with Armstrong Siddeley ASP.3 Python Turbos.

The only remaining sample is a non flying TF Mk1with the Eagle power plant. It is believed that this aircraft has never been airborne. What a shame. Now it's too precious to risk.

1112898r.jpg.95ada19e92d28570018398c68aee5ab4.jpg

Nev, we're breaking into some else's thread so your final answer is:

Eagle, continuous power 3,500hp @ 3.300rpm

Armstrong Turbo, 8,000hp @ 7,800rpm.

RR turned at 6,000 rpm but I don't know the hp.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Maj Millard

Yes Downunder, looks like a stock factory Lazair with Mylar/Tedlar covering and wheel spats. Appears to have the single cyl Rotax 125cc motors, with the 'biplane' carbon props ( two little props, one on top of the other biplane fashion) The whole aircraft weighed only 180 Lbs, and could carry the same weight. 5.5 Gal fuel capacity and only burned 1.8 Gals an hour-both engines. 36 Foot wing span...a delight to fly, what I would imagine it would feel to fly a big eagle, if that were possibly.

It spins counter clockwise...

Is that the one at Finley in NSW?

The guy found it in a scrap yard and then got it going..

maybe an oilier from a steam engine - pile driver from when they built the bridge?

IT looks way too heavy for aero...

It has similarities to a 1910 tractor from the UK.

Something similar:

http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i8/dgwparfitt/images2/Saunderson_SwanHill07_1c.jpg

Most aero engine from the time were aircooled and anything bigger than a couple of cylinder was radial.

Stanzahero

Guest Maj Millard

Yes I tend to agree, aero engines also don't usually have large flywheels like that...possibly marine. I did think it was a Liberty aero engine at first look.

Yes, this is the one at Finley.

I still wouldn't rule out an aircraft.

A lot of the early ones were water cooled, with large flat radiators, like the S.E.5

This engine was designed with twin ignition systems, and has an aluminium block - similar to the Liberty.

What makes things difficult is that it has been rebuilt with non standard components.

A single magneto from something else is fitted and only one set of plugs connected.

The cooling system is from a stationary engine layout, and could be at the opposite end of the engine to the original.

The oiler system, which would have helped identification, is missing.

And it has that sewing machine wheezing sound like early WW1 engines.

I'd accept Major that the heavy flywheel could be the killer, but there's no guarantee that was from the engine either.

Hi Turbo,

Yes this had me stumped as well when I saw it and I'd be interested to know what it was.question.gif.c2f6860684cbd9834a97934921df4bcb.gif

The year was a bit of a clincher for me as far as aero engines go.

The Liberty was either an eight or a twelve but it didn't come till '18. I still don't deny the idea that someone may have developed their own four as there was no machine or manufacture marks on the engine. 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

But then what was flying in that period of time for someone to get that adventurous with engine size?

The aerobase at Tocumwal (local area) didn't come into being till WW2 so that rules that out.

Agriculture or River Trade was my conclusion.

And the enrichment thimbles on the top of the cylinder heads...

I have a movie of it running but at 4Mg it won't upload 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Did he start the BIG diesel for you Turbo?

Stanzahero

Yes Stanza, he started the big one. That compressed air start is so reliable and the big engine is soo smooth. In fact he started so many engines that I got embarrassed that my Entry fee was being burnt up. He even has a Commer Knocker ready to roar away!

Lovely guy; if you are travelling through Finley, stop off for an hour - the Museum's at the southern end of the town on the eastern side of the Newell Highway.

On the mystery engine, don't worry about the year - no one knows, we're just speculating.

If the cone clutch is original, that could point to marine, or a twin prop design (start the engine with the crack handle, hop in, engage the props etc.

It could even be an early race car engine.

The intriguing parts to me are the twin ignition system, total loss oil system and aluminium block.

The lack of machining/manufacturing marks may not be significant. I remember reading a history of a guy who used to run joy flights around the country. Had an engine fail at Clare or Hawker, managed to hop the fence and force land in a dried swamp bed in the next paddock.

He found the problem was a cracked cylinder, borrowed the local blacksmith's shop, cast and macdhined a new cylinder and was on his way.

So this engine could have been built by anyone.

I've got a two file camera video, just need to work out how to load it.

• 3 weeks later...

Ahrens Fox - Mystery Engine

Hi Turbo,

I was at the Fire Museum in Penrith (Sydney) today when I noticed this truck.

#Attached Photo#

The engine has some very distinguishing features:

T-head;

Twin cams - one either side of the block;

Enrichment thimbles;

Even the plugs are in the same type of housing.

The one I found was a 1929 so it is likely that the extra valve and spark plug are a development.

They were originally built in 1917 so the time-line seems to fit as well.

I'm thinking we have the engine - at least the application. 010_chuffed.gif.c2575b31dcd1e7cce10574d86ccb2d9d.gif

This is also a link with some more Photos...

1931 Ahrens Fox 1000 gallon piston pumper for sale

Stanzahero

08112009063.thumb.jpg.4c077220b7797166de8bec3b2eeefed6.jpg

08112009065.thumb.jpg.aba01d4e16d45fea8283836418246741.jpg

08112009064.thumb.jpg.da092464467f757ba18a303b3f64a446.jpg

08112009066.thumb.jpg.1a6a35c0aa64d09ec7d5099f6c5a7746.jpg