Small Air Vent

Hi all - I am looking for a single, small, directional & controllable (open/closed) air vent (could be eyeball style). This is to locate in the centre of my panel, to direct cooling air onto the back of my Ram mounted iPad (shuts down when subject to prolonged direct sunlight) .

My existing vents on either side of my panel/cockpit are large (about 60mm ) with vent tubing to suit. I will also need to source a reducing T or Y connector, to connect from my existing ducting, to a smaller diameter duct to feed the centre vent. Have been unable to find a supplier.

I have reviewed Aircraft Spruce offerings - their Black Plastic vent Part No 05-04079 may be suitable but I was hoping for a quite a bit smaller unit, more in keeping with my panel space (front & back) and the application.

Your advice regarding potential suppliers & cost will be much appreciated/

Skippy, this mob in the link below are the people you need to contact ...Vents - Louvres - Flexible Ducting

\

Thanks for this leed - got onto it straight away - some definite possibilities (very helpful contact on the phone)- a bit larger than I had hoped for as early days/hours will keep looking for something smaller .

Thanks again.

Found a possible contender on an American web site - I will still need to have a T / Y shaped reducing adapter made up to deliver air from the existing system to the central vent. In the meantime, I will check out Bunnings Aerospace for plastic plumbing/ducting that may do the job.

DIY vent, 32mm PVC screw adaptor. Redoing it with a thinner flap (2 x 0.8mm ply instead of the 3mm ply).

Congratulations - Great bit of lateral thinking.

Have you worked out how to regulate the airflow?

Congratulations - Great bit of lateral thinking.Have you worked out how to regulate the airflow?

Hi Skippy you could search the local car wreckers for a small air vent that closes and you can direct the flow or these are cheap enough. Cheers Mike

Part No 05-04079 Dashboard Dash A/C Heater-Air Air Vent Outlet For 2005-2013 Suzuki SX4 | eBay

Hi Skippy you could search the local car wreckers for a small air vent that closes and you can direct the flow or these are cheap enough. Cheers MikePart No 05-04079 Dashboard Dash A/C Heater-Air Air Vent Outlet For 2005-2013 Suzuki SX4 | eBay

Thanks Mike - I dont think the Suzuki vents are that small, their dimensions are very similar to my existing cabin ventilation, two preloved Mercedes W123 vents (Circa 1982). Most car type vents will be larger than what I have in mind - a dedicated IPad cooling vent.

This is the state of play:

Bunnings AeroSpace have provided a very light weight plastic Y fitting that will (I hope) fit my 60mm concertina ducting (ex Mercedes W123) and a plastic reducer down to 40mm.

Sky Shop will provide a small plastic eyeball vent (Aircraft Spruce Part No 05-04049 - $17.95 US) $37.40 AU

Will need to find a 1m length of 40mm concertina ducting to suit - should not be too much of a problem.

Will provide photos in due course.

Use the 60mm from post #6 from the "Y"piece and put the reducer direct on the vent?

Now there's idea - vent will turn up next week some time. So subject to progress on the "boss's" kitchen reno, I will take the earliest opportunity (might be a few weeks) to install the dedicated iPad cooling vent and send in some photos.

• 2 months later...

Well finally got round to making aircraft modifications. Test flew yesterday arvo - all good so far.

Parts from left :

Eyeball vent from SkyShop

Black alloy concertina pipe (Exhaust heater pipe) from Repco

Blue & white plumbing bits from Bunnings

Black plastic concertina pipe and large eyeball vent from Mercedes W123 (wrecks down the back paddock)

Varios "gaskets" made up from selection of draft excluder types & furry bit/side of stick on velcro (mostly Bunnings supplied)

All connections good but to be sure added (not shown) self sealing silicone tape to secure most connections

After install -2043642690_IMG_06891.JPG.ef15836709911124179b4e726e436545.JPG secured ducting (where required) to other structures using cable (zip) ties

• 2 months later...

Late update on eyeball vent for cooling IPad.

So far so good seems to be doing the job but of course the real test will be summer.

Note RAM Mount has been extensively "ventilated" to facilitate passage of cooling air flow (IPad used to take photo so not in RAM Mount)

990265892_IMG_07041.thumb.JPG.8059b761526b39a40538fdbee4c555f2.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi SD,

I had a smile seeing your apparatus and reminded me of the scene in the fantastic movie Apollo 13 when the earth team have to manufacture a adapter to fit square carbon dioxide filter scrubbers to fit a round hole and with only a box full of stuff!!!!

Applaud your creativeness!! Looks something that Beaker at the Muppet Laboratories would come up with ha ha

Hi SD,I had a smile seeing your apparatus and reminded me of the scene in the fantastic movie Apollo 13 when the earth team have to manufacture a adapter to fit square carbon dioxide filter scrubbers to fit a round hole and with only a box full of stuff!!!!

Applaud your creativeness!! Looks something that Beaker at the Muppet Laboratories would come up with ha ha

Thanks Matt