Brisbane West Wellcamp (Toowoomba)

rdarby

Looks like it has opened. First grassroots new airport in 47 years for Australia!

I am not near an ERSA, does anyone know what the airspace is there, can we fly an RAAus plane into it?

2.7km long runway!

Cheers

Ryan

It's Class G atm, could change over the next few years depending on usage and complexities with the near by airspace.

It doesn't appear to need prior permission to land, however the fees might make you change your mind.

Wow, thanks for the heads up, is there anymore info available like who's behind it and any opinions?.

It take it that's a little satire for the Mr Magoos who couldn't find the Wellcamp thread which is second only in size to the Bible.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

The latest controversy is an attempt to build an abbottoir in a industrial park next to wellcamp airport for the non existent meat export industry that wellcamp hasn't created yet. There are 2 existing abbottoirs within 30kms from Wellcamp.

Every now and again the Wagners are in the media spruiking the global interest about them building airports and its always in some shit hole like PNG or North Western Australia where no one wants to fly to. You could apply for some work building an airport but wagners just laid off a ton of ppl in the last 6 months and flogged off all the equipment they used to build the airport.

When the Toowoomba and local surrounding councils where being amalgamated into the TRC, the TRC was forced to honour any zoning commitments the previous councils had made. Wagner was on the local council that managed where wellcamp is, and on the last council meeting the airport was approved. Not saying that the council was influenced by Wagner being a councilor but they knew they could approve the airport without any political backlash at all as they where being made redundant after the meeting. The TRC is now majority controlled by the LNP and the Wagners are the LNP's largest donor explains how you get things done in QLD.

• Agree 1

Every now and again the Wagners are in the media spruiking the global interest about them building airports and its always in some **** hole like PNG or North Western Australia where no one wants to fly to. You could apply for some work building an airport but wagners just laid off a ton of ppl in the last 6 months and flogged off all the equipment they used to build the airport.When the Toowoomba and local surrounding councils where being amalgamated into the TRC, the TRC was forced to honour any zoning commitments the previous councils had made. Wagner was on the local council that managed where wellcamp is, and on the last council meeting the airport was approved. Not saying that the council was influenced by Wagner being a councilor but they knew they could approve the airport without any political backlash at all as they where being made redundant after the meeting. The TRC is now majority controlled by the LNP and the Wagners are the LNP's largest donor explains how you get things done in QLD.

People get laid off all the time ( like what just happened to me), but people have to be adaptable with multiple skills ( like me ) so they can work else where.

In the modern era, nobody has a job for life. I was lucky as I was only unemployed for only one day and I am have gone back to commercial pool plumbing with a company I worked for previously for 12 years. That work may well end as well has it has previously. Apart from my 9.5 years in the RAAF, I have worked in the construction industry and as you know, the resource sector (gas).

But I know that there is no such thing as permanent employment, so I make hay while the sun shines.

• Like 1

40 years and still no second airport for Sydney and it will be another ten years at least. And by the time it is done the governments involved will be ripped off by the contractors and plenty will have made a motza on the side. Who should they call in to build it? Bleeding obvious hey.

Toowoomba is going to benefit for the next century whilst everywhere else rots in the sun.

BTW i watch Landline as well. Stocking up on beef?

Wellcamp's chance of becoming a freight gateway will die in the asse once Brisbane's 2nd runway comes online.

I will have gone to my grave before that happens unless there is a radical change.

As they said, the trucks can roll right up to the door as B doubles and As and not have to dump half and do two runs as they do into Brisbane, The produce will be on Asian tables the same time it takes to put it on Sydney and Melbourne tables. Even with second runway in Brisbane there will still be slot times and distance, Sydney with distance and curfews is out. Associated industries are already setting up and others banging on the door. And they must be on to a good thing even CASA approvals were done in record time. Ol MacBank must be wondering how they missed out on this show. Wonder if they will build a fast train to Brizzy next.

Who is going to fly empty planes into Australia to pickup this goodness? The problem with Wellcamp is its in the middle of nowhere, you have to ship your goods you airfreight to Wellcamp 90 to 120 minutes via road into Brisbane.

If the model for shipping food via air was viable Townsville and Cairns would have taken off by now.

All that free trade deal from China, and some tourist agent will combi one or two out. Townsville and Cairns just need a little private motivation.

Try looking at it from a glass half full point of view instead. best thing to happen to the area for donkeys and you just run it down.

Point is the growers won't have to ship to Brisbane. Even to get it on ground transport to other parts of the country will be quicker with the hub at Wellcamp. A lot of trucks won't leave empty.

It hasn't made bugger all difference to Toowoomba, locals still drive to Brisbane because Wellcamp Qantas flights only go to Sydney. The flights that connected via Sydney are crap, Qantas leave you sitting for 4 hours in Sydney when you can often fly direct via Brisbane. Flights out of Wellcamp are often cancelled because of a lack of demand.

Why would everything need to go to Brisbane, or any capital city? There is no primary production in those cities and as far as the people who produce things go we would be better off without them.

• Agree 1