Public thanks to Mozartmerv

Hello everyone (happy Christmas, New Year [and might as well include Easter while I'm spreading the love])

If any of you read my last thread http://www.recreationalflying.com/showthread.php/128214-Help-advice-needed-on-BFR-with-complications then you'll know that I was stuck in a bit of a hole with getting my license current.

Well, I'd like to publicly thank Mozartmerv (and his first officer) for help and patience in getting things (read *me*) straightened out as much as possible.

Andy and Liz spent about a day and a half with me talking about planes, laws, techniques and the fact that only cats have 9 lives and a headstone with "technically I was in the right" is small consolation.

Had a great time there, I got to work out how to fly a Jabiru under Liz's competant supervision.

Andy and Liz tried to sell me on 6 minute markers for navigation, which we debated for a fair while. I see their use and promised that when I get my licence and plane back I'll give them a proper workout by doing a multi hour nav over somwhere without features and with the GPS turned off. (it was a bit hard to get a fair judgement on a coastal nav)

Andy ended the 2nd day with a nav with all sorts thrown in, and gave me a lot of very useful, practical tips.

All in all, I learned a hell of a lot, and can't wait to get back in the air to try out a few things.

He set me the challenge that I should learn to fly to instructor standard, and in doing so, the professional attitude will stick.

The challenge is on. Just give me a plane and a bit of time and you can check my circuits with my builder's square (the new laser one I bought for christmas :) ) AND I'll find Ayers rock with just a compass and a watch.

AND every landing and practice forced landing will be perfect.

More power to Mozart, and if anyone out there is looking for an instructor who can talk clear common sense, head to Jasper's Brush.

:thumb_up:

That is so brilliant Bigglesworth...and so many many thanks from all of us here to Mozartmerv and Liz for the effort they have put in to help you Bigglesworth...no one wants to see anyone hurt and it all comes down to the right balance of both knowledge and attitude

Geez, this is so great to hear

Great work Biggs, that is awesome to see that you got some help and you're building on your skills.

Top work Motz, your efforts have obviously been appreciated. The willingness to help others is one of the things I love about the aviation community.

:thumb_up:

Andy and Liz spent about a day and a half with me talking about planes, laws, techniques and the fact that only cats have 9 lives and a headstone with "technically I was in the right" is small consolation.Goodonya,Motz,Liz and Bigglesworth.

As Tony Hayes would say........" It not who`s right but who`s left".

Frank.

Terrific milestone Josh and well done on your public thanks of Andy and Liz. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif This is where the value of this site (resource) really comes to the fore - putting experience, enthusiasm, and wisdom together for the best outcomes for all concerned.

Cheers, Mathew

Thanks for the positive comments, guys.

I'm now waiting for a response from the powers that be about whether we've ticked all the neccessary boxes and that I'm legal to fly again,

I'm also waiting to organise a check of some sort on the Cheetah. Had the motor running today to check its all still going well, and it sounded very keen to be put back to work. :)

I also have to put the other half of the roof on my hangar and get the plane there, but thats not too difficult.

The sky is calling

Gday Josh, it was good to meet you at "the Brush" the other day, fantastic to hear you are on the right track for a very long and rewarding flying career! and yep,, an instructor rating will help in getting your flying to a whole new level of accuracy and understanding. also good to hear the Cheetah will be gracing the skies again soon Merry Christmas and a great new year

Well done Josh. I reckon you've got your head screwed on right mate. Congrats and hopefully you'll be all legal soon.

Objection: Are you insinuating that I am now, or ever was, ILLEGAL???? :p

:) (jk, thanks)

@Ultralights, good meeting you as well, Jaspers seems like a good place to hang out so I'll probably be back someday and catch up again.

When does RAA office open again?

Good work Andy.

Very timely. Biggs was in a situation with "authority" which was reacting as it does, (and that is understandable) and I hope this has been resolved. The situation was "off the rails" and hopefully you have provided a solution by essentially taking control and inputting a lot of time and effort. Commendable.. Nev

Well done Josh. I reckon you've got your head screwed on right mate. Congrats and hopefully you'll be all legal soon.

I thought by your own telling of the problem that you were illegal... and thus Ra-Aus grounded you?

Good on you for the effort. Now you need to put it into practice.

You have become a bit of a celebrity in Ra-Aus circles it seem BW... even this Nth Qlder has heard of you and your exploits outside of these forums. Note: This sort of celebrity is not the sort you want!!!

Actually as far as I know, I have done nothing (or minimal) technically illegal.

I've had a breif look at the ops manual and the only grounds I can see for Raa to be able to ground me until a full review was done was Section 2:14 If their activities brought the name of RAA into disrepute.

As I said earlier, Andy did convince me that "technically I was right" is not much help on a headstone.

As for the rest, you'll have to speak to my agent about celebrity......I'm in rehab :s

More advice needed

So I'm thinking I have the personal licence bit covered, now I have to deal with the request for a plane inspection.

This is the part of the email I got:

I would like you to have an independent L2 conduct an aircraft condition

report on your aeroplane before you fly it again. So you need to arrange

for someone to have a look at it. This being due to the numerous incidents

you have had in the aircraft.

Now, for starters, I was under the impression that I came to RAA to do my own repairs and maintenance. In fact, if they're still doing L2 courses I'd be interested since I have a background in mechanics.

That aside.

It was fixed by the original builder with advice from the designer. The motor was checked by Hawker Pacific, and rebuilt by me (read that bit about mechanic if that sounds scary. They're a very basic motor compared to some things I've worked on)

Before Mick sent me the above, I took it flying for just over 15 hours. (I originally posted 20, in between I checked the plane log).

Now its obvious to anyone who knows mechanics that there is a limit to how much can be checked without a full strip.

So I can't go to Rex (the local LAME/L4) and ask him to sign it off on looking at the outer skin since I can't expect him to put his licence on the line for my work.

What I'm hoping to do is to be able to get Mick to change the requirement to re-do original test flying.

I feel that getting an independant mechanic to look at it now won't pick up anything which could be an issue, and if the mechanic had to do a full strip and inspection it goes against the spirit of recreational.

Do you think I will be able to sway him when he gets back after the holidays?

Or does anyone have any better ideas, or do you know what the legal/precedent situation is here?

Josh, a condition report is just that, a 'condition' report. Not a full strip (from what I understand). A CR is a report done before sale (normally) and is NOT an airworthiness notice. The L2 performing it is not saying it is airworthy, he is saying it is in "this" condition.

I would not try sway Mick from anything, just download the condition report form from the RaAus website and get a L2 to check it out for you. And remember, Mick is not imposing this on you to 'punish' you for anything, he obviously feels the need for a safety inspection due to its history.

Compliance mate, compliance ;)

Compliance mate, compliance ;)

More to the point "patience mate, patience"

Actually, thanks, you've rescued me AGAIN. I had no idea that a condition report was an official document that can be easily downloaded and conformed to.

Easy does it. I'll contact Rex tomorrow to see when he can drop in to Frogs, WHEN I get the plane there.

I just didn't want to have him stuck in the middle.

I think I owe you a case by now. :)

Will be paid when I get back out to Jaspers on about the 4th.

good onya josh.

as asid, keep the advice in ya hand and follow through with it all, and u will show everyone how good and safe and fun recreational flying is.

its all about safe fun!! and...cowboy up wud be good ta check out when its all ticked up!

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

liz

Hey Liz,

Don't worry, I'll behave myself.

I'm definately bringing Cowboy Up to Jaspers sometime.

Did you mean ticked up or tricked up?

ticked up just means safe and legal again.

Tricked up is when I put the Ned Kelly silhouettes on the tail, the buffalo horns on top of the cowl, an RMW flag on the antenna and change the rego to what I wanted but couldn't afford (see attachment).

And before the anyone says this sounds cowboyish, I'll tell them I'm joking. (But it would look good. We should have a B'n'S category at NATFLY)

Bundy1.gif.40af9e2f7fc3241fd6dac49b28a9a383.gif

And, perhaps a name change...cowboy up....hmmm, maybe....Jacko??Causen of all the nose jobs its had....hehehe:laugh:...sorry..

Or Jessica Simpson. Not enough plastic in it to be Jacko.

Besides, when HE died he stayed down. This plane so far has a habit of getting back up.

Mind you, I need to last more than 8 seconds......

(no jokes about 8 seconds vs 6 minutes ;) )