Rain,Rain, Rain and more Rain

Willborne

just got back from brissie rained all the way down and all the awy back less than 80ks so bad still bucketing down now my creek going balistic seems no break even next week end showers , some people risk a flit around the circuit inbeetween rain showers but not thanks!! was about to do my nav solo at the end of septemeber then the weather broke and have not had a day clear since imagine up north the shadow would be a boat now !!!

Hey Badger, please don't think that any flying was done in other than VMC:no no no:- we actually have had a couple of half reasonable days before yesterday afternoon and I heard training on the CTAF at the 2 adjacent training airfields-including YCDR, other than YCAB as well. We make the call based on the available conditions and the duration of the exercise, I do sympathise with all those students and fellow pilots (and schools) affected by this weather. But it's nothing like the poor sods throughout the state who have lost everything in these floods- good flying will be here again soon- hang in there and hit the study if you're a student!:thumb_up:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Mackay... things are really depressing at the airport... Virgin Blue has put on an extra flight everyday in and out of the region to get things moving again... every flight is coming carrying as much freight as can be uplifted... you can't buy toilet paper anywhere so we have had to break in to the Virginblue supplies... the shops are half empty... and we are seeing families every day bringing their kids to Mackay from the southern regions to fly them out to relatives because their homes are not livable... word is that Rockampton will be closed for longer than the predicted 2 weeks.

It is like a war zone with the front line just to the south of our city and refugees fleeing the carnage... I have had to suck my guts in and man up because seeing all the devastated people is enough to make you cry... especially the poor kids.

And to make matters worse the airport fire alarm system keeps on going off causing us to evacuate the terminal over the last two days... People are just shaking their heads and waiting for a cyclone now to top things off... It is like a massive pendulum swinging from optimism to pessimism... it is going to take a long time to recover.

Saw this earlier; for those of you familiar with the Boonah area, they put the "plug" in the new Wyaralong Dam a week before Christmas, photo apparently taken 3 Jan! It'll probably be full by the time the current system blows over.

Photos courtesy Buster on weatherzone

wyaralong5.jpg.c2081963d3750b481b698b3e8d82373c.jpg

wyaralong3.jpg.aeb5f192605d663be5a55f8165fca80e.jpg

balpoint 2469

i was not making any judgements on people who opt to fly inbeetween showers just that i would not do it my self being a low hours pilot, and the showers could be 2 hours apart i have enough trouble flying in vmc with out having to dodge showers etc ,

cheers mr badger

Hey guys, this is what Spin said on another thread before the flooding got serious.

"Quite an interesting little set up that could go several ways . Really, really hoping that GFS have got it wrong - because we are in the poo (deep poo at that) if the situation sketched in one of their predictions comes off".

Well, he was right but did anyone realy think that the poo would get as deep as it has? Unbelieveable. My sympathy goes out to all those affected.

Dazza,mr badger and all you other poor buggers who can`t fly because of the weather,I feel sorry for you but on the bright side,look at all the money you`re saving 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif........ 053_no.gif.1b075e917db98e3e6efb5417cfec8882.gif........ 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif.

(Just to rub it in) Poured down all afternoon untill around 5 oclock,then, storm gone, wind gone, enough strip without water on it, bugger it, going for a fly, so I did.....080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif.....:ecstatic:Maaajjjjjiiiiiiiik

Frank.

If flying i'd pay paticular attention to NOTAMS and military/rescue aircraft movements, hell knows were they will be flying things in from to deal with this. As soon as they get a break in the weather the only way to get food water fuel ect ect ect will be initially by air as all the roads and bridges will need repair inspection before they will let anything go by road. won't even think of rail.

And then think, if you go down, you will put further strain on the system when they have to stop and look for you. Common sense huh.

Geez Frank, I always knew one of my chirps would come back to haunt me!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I certainly didn't expect to see this, even if the figures predicted weren't far off ultimately. I'm interested in the weather and have been following this event closely, but in between an important meeting and travelling around, it took my wife to phone me in Brissie this morning and alert me to the deteriorating situation. I'm afraid I thought she had read something sensationalist - until I tuned into the ABC and heard the SEWS - even after hearing it at intervals today, it still makes my skin crawl.

My thoughts are with all those impacted by this tragedy, sadly as things settle down we will no doubt find that we on the forum are going to know people who have been directly affected.

Regards Carl

had a quick look in this mornings Sydney Telegraph at the heartbreaking photos of the devistation from the floods and one photo shows a Jab tangled up with trees and rubbish it looks like it had a hard time of it but looked still in one piece rego looked like VH-JTL. says a lot for the Jab airframe. A ali airframe would have been rolled into a ball. Poor owner, hope insurance comes good for it.

Guest burbles1

I've just seen on TV the Brisbane River is flooding. I lived there for a few years and they were broadcasting from Milton - a high-class inner suburb. It's really shocking to see. So many professional businesses and homes in that area under a few feet of muddy water.

Sadly Burbles it seems this is only the start of things, the river is expected to rise another 2.5m by tomorrow am and to stay thereabouts until the weekend at least. It is possible that some areas further up the river will get even worse, the official measurement is at the Port Office in the CBD. What is particularly concerning is that the Wivenhoe dam is just short of ultimate capacity with authorities holding back every drop they can to minimise the flood peak. It has got to within 50cm of the secondary spillway and my understanding is that if it spills over that, the spillway is designed to partially collapse, allowing the lake to drain down to its normal full level without any way of stopping it. The flood system appears to have worked exactly as designed and even beyond expectation, but that capacity is now gone. As I understand it they are obliged to drain the dam down to 100% level within 7 days, to re-establish the flood mitigation capacity. That means the river is going to remain high.

I have moved my office, home for the moment and am trying to keep things going, whilst helping various friends access information re flood maps, sand bags, insurance cover etc. I don't know about anyone else but there is an illogical sense of guilt sitting in my comfortable house, which is not under threat and watching this disaster unfold via TV and internet. This one is going to be felt for a long time yet.

Just on a personal note, I find it incredible to see an organisation like the SES and EMQ swing into action, so quickly and effectively. I've only been in Aus for 6 years now and experienced a devastating flood as a uni student overseas, including losing my father. There was a completely ad hoc response from police and military personnel and I know many people simply fell through the cracks during and after the event. We are incredibly fortunate with what we have here!

Just a short note to let anyone know that Caboolture airfield is all OK-If not very, very soggy. I was flooded in here at Glass House for the last 2 days but got down there to check on a number of hangars for friends, fellow pilots and our business interests. Aircraft tied down in the open area are also high and dry. Those memers of the aero club will have also received direct notice of the above information. The airfield was not directly affected by the flooding of the Caboolture area over the last 48 hrs.

If you are intending to use the airfield over the next few days(and weeks) it would be very prudent to limit vehicular access to the absolute minimum and use only the highest centrelines and taxi ways to avoid both airfield and aircraft damage.

Our deepest sympathies to all the people who this tragedy has affected, and to all fellow forumites- I hope yourselves, families and friends are safe in this crisis.

there is an illogical sense of guilt sitting in my comfortable house, which is not under threat and watching this disaster unfold via TV and internet. I find it incredible to see an organisation like the SES swing into action, so quickly and effectively.

Same here - we all react differently - I have been headhunted by a recruitment firm already to do engineering / flood recovery work which I didn't really want - so I went to the "local" consulting engineers and offered my services - feeling guilty I suppose - although I've got the T-shirt "I shovelled mud in the Charleville Flood" Strange how we never thought it would happen again - now we have "hundreds" of "Charleville Floods". My better half has just turned off and won't watch any flood related news - his way of coping.

Qld is well organised - every Council has a Disaster Management Plan which goes into action as soon as a disaster is declared. Police etc suddenly have increased powers, there's an authority structure - notice how the spokesman is the Mayor in every area. Co-ordination centres are not just thrown together, they were planned, often with extra phone & data lines, security, above flood level etc. It all swings into action as soon as the flag drops. I take my hat off to the SES guys - they are all volunteers - they work alongside paid fireys, ambos, police and public servants and cop just as much flack. Amalgamating Councils just made their job harder - the area is much larger. My Council has been advertising for an SES co-ordinator to look after about 18 towns/units over 60,000km2 working full time delivering training and making sure everyone comes up to scratch, writing plans, manuals etc etc - FOR NO MONEY. It's an honourary full time position. Any takers?

The only inconvenience we have experienced is the butcher shop running out of meat for a week and the shop running out of fruit & veg, bread & SR Flour - we have lived on egg & bacon pie, fish & chook with frozen veg. There was no panic buying, just the usual supplies got commandeered by the larger town so we were a week or two behind where we would normally have been. We still have Avgas in drums.

Sue

President

Springsure Progress & Tourism Assoc Inc

Move to Flood Free Springsure! Never get flooded again!

Houses to rent/buy - cheap! Friendly country town

Business opportunites! - 2 coal mines close looking for staff

Wanted - hairdresser, staff for supermarket, no unemployment here.

(I just can't help myself ..... )

I don't know about anyone else but there is an illogical sense of guilt sitting in my comfortable house, which is not under threat and watching this disaster unfold via TV and internet. Carl,I don`t feel guilt but I do understand what you are saying.I have a sense of saddnes for those effected and a sense of frustration,because from here I can`t do much more than donate to the reliefe appeal.Other than being physically involved,the way that everyone can help is to donate to the relief effort.

Appart from the individual cost,the total cost will be more than most people can even immagine and the money required to rebuild is going to have to come from somewhere,everyone is finaly going to pay in some way.

Frank.

Good on you Sue - That's the sort of stuff that makes this country so great!

Ditto on that Sue, your posts are a breath of fresh air. I've had a bit to do with EMQ and must agree with your point re pre-planning, it is a little irritating to get the impression from the TV coverage that things like evacuation centres have only now been thought of; there is a vast organisation behind all that happens. It may not be perfect, but it is pretty damn good.

Guest burbles1

Amazing how quick the SES really are. Several months ago I stopped at Lithgow and saw several yellow "SES boaties" there and wondered why. A few days later there was minor flooding out west. They were obviously mobilising very early when the first predictions came through. Heroes.

The poor SES guys cop some flack too - quite undeservedly too. The Disaster committee (usually headed by the Council/Mayor) determines when and if they can use their flood boat. They cop it when one council decides it doesn't fit the guidelines (emergency) or it is too dangerous but the adjoining council decides to let them do it. People get rather annoyed when they can see Nivarna on the other side, the boat's there, but the Orange Uniforms say they are not allowed to launch. We just went through that with Blackall/Tambo using their boat to get ordinary supplies and people across, but Longreach would only do emergency (eg life/death, medical etc). Tourists and carrots just had to wait for the water to go down. Same thing had happened with local roads where one council closed their end, but the other council left theirs open = One Way traffic. Now it is a police decision so offenders can be prosecuted - A Brisbane motorist got swept off and bogged trying to go through the Road Closed sign just out of Springsure, a local dragged him out and took him to town where the cops fined him (he 'fessed up).

I've done my stint on Disaster committees. You always wonder if it will work in reality, and hope you never have to find out. After the floods in Winton, I flew out a young graduate engineer to inspect roads to see if we could let traffic through. Some really irate truckies with perishables, perishing by the hour, miles from home, some stood down by their companies on no pay, seeing their bonuses disapearing Vs a handful of SES volunteers keeping the peace, when they could have been running their businesses etc. My hat goes off to them and the other volunteers who leave their own places and help save yours.

Regards donations - the people who have been through floods prefer to give to smaller "people to people" organisations rather than the Govt appeal. It gets to the people faster - I'm thinking of the local church, local Sallies, the Lions, etc. Our experience of Govt funds is that it takes at least a year for it to get anywhere near handing out to people, and it may well disappear into rebuilding schools, roads etc. Right now is when people need funds. Emerald is cleaning up - before you can use power or gas it has to be inspected by a qualified person (in short supply!). All portable electrical appliances are to be dumped. There has been incidences of rent hikes for undamaged houses - a friend's went from $480 to $900 and they and the agent are disputing that. One agency is saying they will refuse to handle unreasonable rent hikes and people demanding and extra $100k on sales and generally trying to graft on people's misery. As my husband is wont to say "Line 'em up and Shoot 'em!" More anguish to come.

Sue

Guest Maj Millard

Just a perspective from Shute Harbor(Airlie Beach), where I'm at this week. I've been thinking of all my friends around Dalby, Grafton, and of course in the Brisbane area. Here at Shute we have a lot of travelers who haven't been able to travel south because of the Rockhampton floods.. Now this is not a bad area for tourists either, so many have been settling in for the duration, and spending a bit of money, which is good for the local economy here. Air Whitsunday (Air Whitsunday.com) whom I work for, has been busy as hell the last few weeks. We've had four planes operating, and they've been going flat out which certainly keeps the boss happy at the moment !!.............................................................................Maj...

Yeah Maj, fair enough though you guys have everyone fleeing any time there is a cyclone in the same hemisphere. Make the most of it.

Photos of some of the aircraft posted on ninemsn and the Australian websites.

853736-grantham-flood-disaster.jpg.29dae30aae340824fe14655e2bb0a72c.jpg

qldflood_4_a.jpg.c9ced1b2ffa687bb192e36d355148ba9.jpg

I cant even comprehend what the cost is going to be. Its like watching a movie at the moment. The problem is a movie is just a movie.This is real.I watched the news about Ipswich,Toowomba Lockyer Valley countless other towns. I havent been to Ipswich since 1998, Greg Neale and Dave Briffa live there, does someone here know if they are OK .When I saw the water level, in the streets, places I have been too, to see the water that high, the devastation, its hard get my head around.But we will rebuild, we will join together and get through this, its the Australian way.

Know what you mean Daryl, I guess it will become very real when we get armpit deep in the mud with the clean up. I've sent Greg a msg, will relay any response. I don't have a contact number for Dave Briffa - anyone, Davey Mason?

Cheers Carl