Where is Wally, I mean Tommo????

Pilot Pete

He went off to the Central Highlands of PNG to a remote village near Tari to build an airstrip with YWAM (Youth With A Mission). I had a look at their site for info on the short term "outreach" he went on but they hardly maintain their site. He was going to be incommunicardo for a while as there's no power and most likely no mobile reception. It will be a surprise to him, how the world has changed while he has been away.

Sue

Has any one heard how Tommo is faring and if he has managed to avoid the PNG Headhunters?

From the program i saw late last night on tele he won't have any problem with the 'head hunters'. Be a totally different story if he was a Japanese soldier. Blow darted and head smoked over fire. Any one else see this program of the two downed airmen?

Ozzie

If Thommo has gone to PNG, I wonder who is looking after his properties back home. Cecil Plains is on the Condamine River, and has most likely been flooded as well as Dalby. Has Thommo got a "Better Half"?

OME

From the program i saw late last night on tele he won't have any problem with the 'head hunters'. Be a totally different story if he was a Japanese soldier. Blow darted and head smoked over fire. Any one else see this program of the two downed airmen?Ozzie

Yes.. was interesting. I liked the bamboo airstrip with a head on a pole.

Guest davidh10
DD has talked to his brother, there house is fine. ...lol

That's good to hear. It would be really sad if he had received flood damage while away from home performing such a selfless act.

I was talking to one of the old missionary pilots from the SDA mob.He said that you had to be carefull otherwise you could end up as a dish called "Long Pig" The further out you went the less fussy the natives were.Hope Tommo posts details of his adventures on his return.

Dave

Guest Maj Millard

Ozzie, I did watch that Borneo ZED force show, and found it quite interesting. Couldn't help but think at the end, that the character played by Marlon Brando in 'Apacalyspe now' had to be based on Major Harris the leader of that force. I thought that the bamboo airstrip and head flag-pole were spot on also.

I recently read a bog called 'Sabotage and subversion' which covers many like missions, plus the ZED force mission into Singapore harbour during WW2, which was conducted under the nose of the jap occupation. They really were the fathers of our current S.A.S. (Special Air Services)

There's not enough meat on Tommo to feed a mongrel dog, let alone a tribe of natives. A mongrel dog would probabily turn up it's nose at Tommo meat anyway ! Besides there'll be even less on that scrawney carcass after building airstrips in the PNG jungle.

I'm sure there's enough hands at work in Cecil Plains if they have had water problems, Tommo comes from a large and active family.................................maj...

Besides there'll be even less on that scrawney carcass after building airstrips in the PNG jungle.

Pikka Boo! :peepwall:

Arrived back last night... healthy and in one piece, but Maj is right about the size of me, had to put the belt in one hole 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif

Have a birthday party to attend today, so hopefully I get some info/photos out in the next few days. Flood wise, our place is Ok, but there a many that aren't. Phone lines are still out.

PNG is great! :thumb_up:

Guest Maj Millard

Welcome back Tommo, see I was right, there's just not enough meat on you for them to bother boiling the big pot !............Maj

Good to hear your place fared well in the floods.

Guest davidh10

Yes. Welcome back Tomo. Glad the floods missed you.

We'll all be awaiting the stories and pictures... Use of the "Blog" facility comes to mind :-)

Yes welcome back Tomo!

Seeing as the forum is not too PC to host a few giggles about the scary fuzzy wuzzy cannibals up there it might be good to throw in some perspective and point out that the Aborigines were also very much into cannibalism right here. :bitehard:

Guest studentbiggles

Welcome back Sweetie................don't you listen to those "Large Girthed" pilots making fun of you fit and agile frame................try sewing for those "Fuller Figured" gents and make them look good !!!

I'm so proud of all your hard work and endevours that you have just done of your own bat to help others not so fortunate as ourselves.............Well done and great work from someone so young.

So glad to hear your folks and family were not to badly effected by the devestating flooding in Qld.

Chat soon, Fly and Keep Safe.

CheersAlley

Thanks guys,

I will hopefully get to writing some stuff sometime soon... Pretty exhausted at the moment, as today was a big day helping with my Bro's birthday party stuff as well.

But don't worry I'll try and be back on board asap. (Also gotta speak at a few places this week!)

Here is one quick shot, showing myself and some of a crowd - was our going away presentation (they gave us all this stuff)

Guest Maj Millard

Nice new flying helmet there Tomo, love the feathers !.................................................................................Maj...