Wing spar damage

pudestcon

G'day All,

This thread is about Thruster wing spars so may not be relevent to some people. Nonetheless, I thought I'd post here as more people will get to read it than if I posted in the Thruster section. I'm interested in getting your views on some wing spar damage I have seen recently. Please check out the photos and give me your thoughts.

In particular I'm interested in your views of the spar damage, and whether it is ok (in your view) to continue using these spars on the aircraft, and what you think about the repairs that have been done on both spars.

Cheers,

Pud

1362959631_Geminitrailingedgesparrepair.jpg.45beb2c2d51268ead20fc15d3e7fae64.jpg

1380830638_T500leadingedgesparjoin.jpg.5ef4ef65c05ade66b167cdb31226fe91.jpg

1732789040_T500leadingedgespardamage..jpg.9bb1124abe58dd34bde2dcd9d7975447.jpg

1247405645_Geminitrailingedgespardamage.jpg.e275161c3e100999e731b51fb07eb614.jpg

484628065_Geminitrailingedgespardamagecloseup.jpg.82cdc776aef44613435f0c87ea619880.jpg

Greetings Pud

From what we've seen from previous posts of your Thruster restoration , I'd bet Sydney to a brick that the subject matter of these photos ISN'T for use on your T500!! That aside, no-one with any aviation CDF (unless harbouring a death wish) would re-use any item with that sort of damage, particularily in a stress area where it is hidden from visual monitoring each pre-flight. Suggest to the owner that he should use what 'once were spars' as tomato stakes. Cheers Riley

I'm no expert in aircraft...but that much frame damage on a motorcycle would cause it to be a writeoff. No chance would I risk that, it could be perfectly fine for years but you just can't be sure.

:thumb_down: Scrap it !!! Frank.

Already done Farri!!

It's interesting though, that the spar with the patch "repair" has been on the Gemini for a long time. Not sure what it is hiding yet.... I suspect damage similar to what you see in the other photos.

Riley, you must grow big tomatoes. The join in the main spar is definitely in a high stress area, being at the strut connection point, as shown in the 4th photo.

FT, a new main spar cost me $290 plus $150 freight to get it to WA. I'm happy to pay that for peace of mind, and to have a wing that is structurally sound.

Is there anyone out there who would use these spars, and would care to give me their reasons why? It is obvious someone thought that both these repairs would suffice.

Pud

Pud (didinja no? - old Geraldton folk lore: tall tomatoes plants make for more space between the rows for hashish crops!) Just kidding but on a serious note, those damaged spars should be cut up just in case some poor un-educated sod attempts to re-use them in a project. Cheers Riley

Even scratches are a no-no for things like Al tube spars. They are subject to bending loads and cracks can propagate from an imperfection very quickly. The maximum load will be at about the spar attach point. The wing tip areas carry no load by comparison. Nev

Hi Pud,

Like the others said bin the lot, that "repair" is not to the required standard anyway, someone has used the 20/20 rule which only applies to flat stress areas, be it with the wrong type of rivet, ordinary "pop" rivets were used not aircraft grade,it would just add stress into a different area. Photos 1-3, I can see at least six reasons to bin them.

Bob.

Pud (didinja no? - old Geraldton folk lore: tall tomatoes plants make for more space between the rows for hashish crops!)

Reminds me of many years ago when I pulled into a farm homestead to find the local copper inspecting the farmers vegie patch. Right behind me the farmer pulled in and the cop commented on a fine crop of tomatos in the vegie patch. The farmer and the cop did their business (not serious) whilst I waited outside, then when the cop drove down the drive the farmer invited me to inspect the tomato plants.... And the fine crop of marryduanna amongst the tomatos:big_grin::big_grin: To this day, I'm not sure if the cop saw the hooch and let it go, or if he just missed it.

Pud

Well that's about 245 hits with about 10 very definite "DO NOT CONTINUE TO USE" replies, and not one view advocating to continue use.

I'm happy to report that both trailing edge spars on the Gemini and the leading edge spar on the T500 were replaced before I posted this thread. It was however, worth getting the 'learned forum members' collective view on this, as (as I have said before) someone obviously thought the repairs were structurally sound.

Thanks everybody for your thoughts.

Oh, by the way; my restored T500 is about a month away from test flying - yeah!!!

Pud

If you are not sure of the aircraft's history and/or construction, a thorough inspection and partial/full strip is the go. Aerobatic aircraft get it annually/100 hours. For the amateurs who do not have the protection of regulator mandated inspections, know YOUR aircraft. Get acquainted with other owner/operators who have experience with your model. The combined experience of the group will exceed anything that you will achieve in a lifetime on your own. Nev

having just had a airworthy inspection on my t500 that makes me laugh. My L2 found a drill hole that did not need to be there. It wasn't anywhere structural but his comment was if it's not needed get rid of it. The only flaw to be found. There nothing like having someone you trust be totally professional and say it as it is.