Your preferred crosswind landing technique?

Your preferred crosswind landing techinque?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Your preferred crosswind landing techinque?

• Crab into wind, aligning the aircraft longitudinally just prior to touchdown
    • Side slip using crossed controls with the wing into wind down

I wanted to create a poll to see which of the two basic crosswind landing methods is more popular in RA aircraft.

1. Crab into wind, aligning the aircraft longitudinally just prior to touchdown or

2. Side slip using crossed controls with the wing into wind down

Or perhaps you use both methods and choose on final according to the wind strength etc? Pro's con's of each method in your experience....?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to do the crab into the wind, then kick straight just prior to touch down.In the last couple of years , I used the cross control, Ie- into the wind wing low, land on the into the wind main wheel. The advantages is that on early final, you can set yourself up early, bank angle sorted,to counteract drift, tracking down runway centre line etc. If its a gusty type crosswind, I will use both together.I do it without thinking.If that makes sense.

Guest davidh10

I voted for crab because that is the method for light cross winds in a trike. Trikes cannot operate cross controlled. For a strong cross wind, trikes need to use a different method.

Crab into wind & depending on X-wind strength touch down on into wind main wheel first so a bit of both is what I do when the X-wind is strong or it's gusty.

I use both methods regularly however, if flying a low wing aircraft with fairly short undercarriage I will use the crab method to minimize the risk of a wing tip strike.

I nearly always use the wing low approach on high wing aircraft. Alan.

I'm still learning the ropes on crosswind landings so hopefully these opinions will help me. So far, I've done the crab and align method with... lets say "interesting" results.

I'm still learning the ropes on crosswind landings so hopefully these opinions will help me. So far, I've done the crab and align method with... lets say "interesting" results.

Check out this video Owi, produced by AOPA. It's one of the best I've seen so far discussing both approaches to crosswind landing techniques.

Good luck with the rest of your training!

As others have said before me, depends on the strength. If its a "normal" x-wind, just crab it down, then kick it out in the flare. However, if I think the strength is mrginal for the x-wind limit of the aircraft, I slip it all the way down, that way you will know early if you don't have enough rudder to complete the landing safely. Rod.

If I think the strength is marginal for the x-wind limit of the aircraft, I slip it all the way down, that way you will know early if you don't have enough rudder to complete the landing safely.

Makes sense... Well said Rod.

Check out this video Owi, produced by AOPA. It's one of the best I've seen so far discussing both approaches to crosswind landing techniques.

Thanks, Evan. That's a great vid. Ironically, I've just joined AOPA and am sifting through training emails from them. I haven't received my first mag yet, so that's going to be another in the "to be read" pile I've got going.

Cheers,

As others have said before me, depends on the strength. If its a "normal" x-wind, just crab it down, then kick it out in the flare. However, if I think the strength is mrginal for the x-wind limit of the aircraft, I slip it all the way down, that way you will know early if you don't have enough rudder to complete the landing safely. Rod.

Ditto

My first few crosswind landing were well below average as well, its a good thing c150's have good landing gear! It took me about 3-4hrs of just doing x-winds to get it nailed. You will get it with enough practice and when you get it right you will wonder what all the fuss was about.

I was taught to crab in all the way down to 50'agl, dip the windward wing and opp rudder in one smooth motion, power off and flare and just keep adding more rudder and wing and flare until it touched down. Rudder for steering, aileron for centreline alignment and just gently keep pulling back on the elevator until it settled and if it all goes wrong, full grunt and flaps up. It eventually becomes second nature. When its smooth wind its pretty easy, add some turbulence and variable wind direction and it starts getting fun in a masochistic kind of way.

How to land in cross wind is dependent on it's strength and the aircraft in my opinion.

In Jab's I have flown (LSA, 160,230) and my Speed I crab (high and low wing aircraft) nearly all the time.

In my Petrel which is rated for 20kt cross wind I crab, but as the wind increases I start to add more wing down (large wing area on aircraft), otherwise you can move a lot off the centre line as you kick it streight.

In my Drifter I reduce the angle to the wind by angling across the available space/runway as much as possible since the large wing and low weight can get very interesting at high AOA (when tailwheel down/or going down)...and be ready for rapid control input! Thats crabbing normally as wing down can also get interesting but has to be used if you cannot reduce the angle. However if wind is that strong you can normally land across the strip into the wind (Drifters love STOL).

• 2 months later...
My first few crosswind landing were well below average as well, its a good thing c150's have good landing gear! It took me about 3-4hrs of just doing x-winds to get it nailed. You will get it with enough practice and when you get it right you will wonder what all the fuss was about.I was taught to crab in all the way down to 50'agl, dip the windward wing and opp rudder in one smooth motion, power off and flare and just keep adding more rudder and wing and flare until it touched down. Rudder for steering, aileron for centreline alignment and just gently keep pulling back on the elevator until it settled and if it all goes wrong, full grunt and flaps up. It eventually becomes second nature. When its smooth wind its pretty easy, add some turbulence and variable wind direction and it starts getting fun in a masochistic kind of way.

Hi

Just looking at Austers on U-tube and thought this was an oldie but a goodie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZRTs-wGmZk

kaz

Nice Kaz! Reckon that's one of the most skilful landings I've seen. The transition from crab to wing down was masterful!

You can't help but look above your post at #22 and feel sad that we've lost another great source of knowledge here.....

That's the way it was done when everyone did 3 pointers. The only time you need to vary it is when the conditions are gusty and you should consider keeping the speed a bit higher and then you do a wheeler with the into wind wing down./ Nev

While a valid point about the dangers of slipping uncovering the fuel pick up, this is type dependent and it does not affect all aircraft. Some aircraft will happily slip for long distances with no problems, some have flap limitations, others do not. The only advice here is to know the limitations of your aircraft type.

My technique is to initially allow the aircraft to weathercock into wind (crab) to counteract drift while maintaining wings level with aileron.

At some point* on final, positively apply rudder to align the aircraft with the runway and use opposite aileron to lower the into wind wing to counteract drift. Keep the aircraft aligned with the runway with the rudder, if the aircraft drifts modify the amount of aileron. Maintain this configuation through the flare and touch down. The into wind main will touch first.

During the roll out, progressively increase the amount of aileron into wind and stay straight with rudder.

*So where is the transition from crab to slip? It depends. For someone learning crosswinds I recommend doing it early so you have time to see how your inputs affect the approach. Set it up far enough out so you can see what is happening. For more experienced pilots it can be later, but it is better to do it early than make a mess of it in the flare and land with sideways forces on the gear.

• Like 1

Powerin said:

Nice Kaz! Reckon that's one of the most skilful landings I've seen. The transition from crab to wing down was masterful!

Especially when you consider the Auster without modified tail has a x-wind max of 7 knots ... mine is the modified version which takes it up to 9 knots.

You can't help but look above your post at #22 and feel sad that we've lost another great source of knowledge here.....

I'm so sorry... I didn't know and didn't make the connection

kaz