Lethbridge pilot killed in Thailand

flyian

By THE NATION

Published on April 15, 2011

A two-seater plane crashed in Nakhon Nayok's Ongkharak district yesterday evening, leaving its two occupants dead, police said.The pilot was identified as Kraiwut Saringpaiboon, 50, and the passenger an Australian man named Peter Franks. The wreckage was found in a rice field not far from a private airstrip. Initial investigation found that the two occupants were on a training flight and the plane was about to land when the engine ceased causing the plane to crash, according to Police Lt-Colonel Opas Walaiphet of the Ongkharak district police station.

Witnesses saw smoke coming out of the plane before it crashed into the rice field in Canal 15 along Rangsit-Nakhon Nayok Road and went up in flames.

Peter Franks was a long time member of the Geelong Sports Aviators group situated at Lethbridge in Victoria. He was a prolific builder and many will remember his Nieuport, Jenny and Renegade that he proudly displayed at the Avalon Airshows.

That's terrible news Ian. Franksy ( on this forum) and I got on very well ( more than that) and he only rang me a bit over a week ago, telling me of his upcoming trip to Thailand. He had been there quite a few times after he had sold the Curtis Jenny replica to the Thai Airlines pilot who was presumably, the person who was with him. Peter had the job of teaching the gentleman to fly the Jenny as part of the deal., and that was completed some time ago. ..Peter's aircraft were a tribute to his craftmanship and meticulous attention to detail. He built two (at least) completely and substantially rebuilt 3 others to my knowledge. A very complete and thorough pilot as well. I'm bloody devastated, Nev..

• Like 1

By THE NATIONPublished on April 15, 2011

A two-seater plane crashed in Nakhon Nayok's Ongkharak district yesterday evening, leaving its two occupants dead, police said.The pilot was identified as Kraiwut Saringpaiboon, 50, and the passenger an Australian man named Peter Franks. The wreckage was found in a rice field not far from a private airstrip. Initial investigation found that the two occupants were on a training flight and the plane was about to land when the engine ceased causing the plane to crash, according to Police Lt-Colonel Opas Walaiphet of the Ongkharak district police station.

Witnesses saw smoke coming out of the plane before it crashed into the rice field in Canal 15 along Rangsit-Nakhon Nayok Road and went up in flames.

Peter Franks was a long time member of the Geelong Sports Aviators group situated at Lethbridge in Victoria. He was a prolific builder and many will remember his Nieuport, Jenny and Renegade that he proudly displayed at the Avalon Airshows.

Devastating to many. To clarify the small amount I know they were in a aerobatic machine. His beautiful wife who is also a pilot was close by at the time of the accident. The gee long sports aviators will miss him greatly. I have personally never met a more skilled person with his ability to design, craft and build anything he wanted to. We occasionally joked that he is the only fitter that owned a cro (electronic device). Rip Peter.

I didn't know Peter at all but I have known Kraivuth for around 10 years or so. As well as being a B777 Captain he started a company called PST Jets www.pstjets.com . This company designed and manufactured model turbine engines also many very well produces model jet kits in Thailand. He helped design funded all the great things that PST have done in the last 10 years or so. I first met him when I was in the Australian team for the Jet World Masters in Thailand in 2001. He actually spent a lot of time here in Brisbane because his brother is a doctor here. I was only speaking to him last year at a model helicoptor event here locally. I am deeply saddened by this news and my condolences go to both families. There is a model jet forum and it is all over the forums about Kraivuth as he is extremely well known world wide as he travelled to most countrys for the model jet events

RIP Peter and Kraivuth

What an absolute tragedy.

I can't say I knew him well, but as a fellow member of GSA spent many hours listening to his wisdom, and admiring his skill as a pilot and builder.

Peter was jusr one of those guys who only had a good word to say.

Steph and my thoughts are with Annette at this time.

Ding.

Very sad news, Peter Franks was an experienced builder and pilot and was held in very high esteem by his fellow aviators at Geelong Sports Aviators and will be greatly missed. Condolences to his family.

• 3 years later...

Just been informed I bought his beautifully constructed

avalon award winning nieuport 11 . I Feel very honered to be the next rookie to grace the skies in a truly majestic aircraft

RIP peterimage.jpg.2da2bea4803e45d77c7f7e7a613be3b2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

That's terrible news Ian. Franksy ( on this forum) and I got on very well ( more than that) and he only rang me a bit over a week ago, telling me of his upcoming trip to Thailand. He had been there quite a few times after he had sold the Curtis Jenny replica to the Thai Airlines pilot who was presumably, the person who was with him. Peter had the job of teaching the gentleman to fly the Jenny as part of the deal., and that was completed some time ago. ..Peter's aircraft were a tribute to his craftmanship and meticulous attention to detail. He built two (at least) completely and substantially rebuilt 3 others to my knowledge. A very complete and thorough pilot as well. I'm bloody devastated, Nev..

Would he be the same Peter Franks that was a CASA examiner in the 80s?