Here we go!!

pudestcon

At one stage the top engine in Interstate Prime Movers was the Perkins 6/354.They were cheap at $1500.00 and lasted for aropund 100,000 miles, so at the 100,000 mark operators would pull the engine out whether it was good or not and put a new $1500.00 engine in.

The cost package of doing that was cheaper than reconditioning.

I'd agree with the same principle for two strokes under heavy load.

Sorry offtopic but every now and then when I was an Interstate owner/driver I would take a load of Perkins Spark Plugs!

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the challenges never cease it seems.Susan from Bert Flood notified me today that the engine is on it's way, so all is good there:big_grin:

Seeing as how I am reusing the existing starter, I thought I would get it checked out, took it to the local auto electrician shop, and he informs me that the armature is shorting out - probably accounts for the weak turn over of the engine I put down to a low battery. Apparently armatures are not available for this starter.

So does anybody have a reasonable 2nd hand starter for sale, don't need the whole kit and caboodle, just an armature would be good. I don't really feel like shelling out $1034 inc GST plus freight for a new starter kit from Bert Floods unless I have to.

Pud

Well some good news at last. Just had a call from the auto electrician; When he told me the armature was u/s I took him another one I had that the drive gear was buggared on, he tested the armature and found it in good condition. So he's used that and some other minor parts to make up a good quality starter that, in his words has "come up a treat". So I'm stoked, especially as TNT tell me they will deliver my brand spanking new Rotax 582 today - YESSSSSS

Pud

At one stage the top engine in Interstate Prime Movers was the Perkins 6/354.They were cheap at $1500.00 and lasted for aropund 100,000 miles, so at the 100,000 mark operators would pull the engine out whether it was good or not and put a new $1500.00 engine in.

The cost package of doing that was cheaper than reconditioning.

I'd agree with the same principle for two strokes under heavy load.

Good O'l 6/354 Perkins....

Turbs, pow and Ian,

Jeez you guys are so helpful I feel like cancelling the order with Floods - hang on that's the doorbell, delivery from Floods. Thanks anyway guys.... gotta go, toodaloo!!

Pud

• 2 weeks later...

Well I took the new Rotax to Northam today. It's safely locked away in the sea container at the hangar. Once my L2 is feeling well again we'll get into it - just have to fit the reduction box, electric starter and radiators, and make up some brackets for the new exhaust system. And of course all the new bits such as fuel pump and carbies etc. I contented myself today with fitting the new electric booster fuel pump and renewing some fuel lines.

I said way back in this thread I'd find out the type of oil that was used in the fuel mixture as I had some doubts in that area. It is Fuchs Titan Twin Two Stroke Semi Synthetic oil. On the website it says suitable for aircooled 2-strokes, but the 582 is water cooled. Would this be a major issue and a possible cause of the damage done?

Pud

Before you go down that path Pud, check the manual if one was supplied, if not go on the Rotax website FOR THAT MODEL, if not phone Bert Floods and get the exact oil specification designed for that engine model.

I've said a couple of times on here that manufacturers test and test and test with various oils until they get optimum durability. Quite often in the 21st century even they find the oil galleries were too small and they can't correct that issue so they specify a very high performance oil. The current Nissan Navara engine has exactly that problem - move away from the specified oil $80.00 plus per change, and the 5000 km changes, and you can expect to pay big money in engine repairs.

I know people are going to ignore what I've just said, and post anything from oils which would better be used for frying chips to something a container ship would work well on, even though I've worked in manufacturing all my life and seen Service Departments tear their hair out in frustration when customers blame the product and not their own stupidity.

So make sure if you take advice from anyone who offers anything other than the correct oil specification for that engine that it's accompanied by a financial guarantee to replace the engine if it doesn't make full life cycle.

This includes off standard oil mix levels where often extra oil is added to the fuel during run in with good intentions, but the mixture can't squeeze through the jets as fast causing lean run and damage.

You've had enough problems without being saddled with more.

• Like 1

G'day Turbo,

Yes, I'll be definitely using Castrol 2 stroke oil, both for running in and general use as that get's a mention in the Rotax manual that came with the new engine. The Fuchs oil question was really whether it could have been a major contributor to the old engine failing.

Pud

Hi Pud l use Penrite Hi per two stroke semi-synthetic oil now .l was using penrite greenslim until they stopped making it due to some legal problems . we had over 830hrs on that oil in a 503 with no problems,

six of my freinds use the penrite hi per in air and water cooled rotaxes with good results.

As far as fuchs oil goes the name says it all we used that brand of oil in the dozers and excavtors and had nothing but trouble.

Hi Pud l use Penrite Hi per two stroke semi-synthetic oil now .l was using penrite greenslim until they stopped making it due to some legal problems . we had over 830hrs on that oil in a 503 with no problems,six of my freinds use the penrite hi per in air and water cooled rotaxes with good results.

As far as fuchs oil goes the name says it all we used that brand of oil in the dozers and excavtors and had nothing but trouble.

You dug yourself into a deep hole - so to speak eh?003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

• Like 1

Hi Pud, I use Castrol Active 2t that is what Bert Flood reccomended to me for my 582 and i have had no problems. Cheers The Baron.

Thanks Meddo,

Yep, that's what I'm going to use as well. I found information about this on the Rotax website last night. Also sent an email to Wal at Bert Flood, asking the question.

Pud

Just curious - does anyone use Bel-Ray 2 stroke oil in Rotax's?. Or is it even recommended or not.

G'day DF,

It looks ok on the suppliers website, but no mention of it in any Rotax documentation that I can find. Best stick with the recommended brands I reckon.

Pud

Just for the record....

The 582 Rotax from Bert Flood costs inclusive of GST!!

engine with straight exhaust, carbies, hand start, no gear box $7012.50

2 conical air filters $110.00

B type gear box gasket and 'O' ring $24.59

Freight on TNT $165.00

Add from elsewhere

Facet electric boost pump and fuel hose inc freight from US $114.90

Repairs to electric starter motor $74.00

So $7500.99 to have the box of bits sitting on the hangar floor ready for assembly.