Here we go!!

pudestcon

Continuing with my learning process in trying to ascertain the cause of engine damage, I decided to dismantle the old Bing carbies off the damaged engine - these I was told had been rebuilt, "refurbished" was the term used; whatever that means.

I checked the main jet, idler jet, needle jet and jet needle for each carbie. And found not one component identical in size specification, with the other carbie.

Is this ok? It would seem to me to cause all sorts of problems trying to balance the carbies.

Pud

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Continuing with my learning process in trying to ascertain the cause of engine damage, I decided to dismantle the old Bing carbies off the damaged engine - these I was told had been rebuilt, "refurbished" was the term used; whatever that means.I checked the main jet, idler jet, needle jet and jet needle for each carbie. And found not one component identical in size specification, with the other carbie.

Is this ok? It would seem to me to cause all sorts of problems trying to balance the carbies.

Pud

Hi Pud, sounds like someone has let you down, they need a kick in the behind, if you had been in the air I could be talking about you rather than to you.

The bing carbie is used on a lot of different motors all needing different jetting. At one time I fitted an intake silencer on my 582 which required changes. Did both your carbies come from the same motor, if not they may have been jetted differently. After my accident I removed the intake silencer because I was concerned about the smaller jet sizes and the possibility of blockage. [paranoid maybe]. The carbies are so simple you can check every detail yourself.

Buy the way have you got that motor on yet.

G'day terryc,

Yeah, well all that has been eliminated with the purchase of a new engine including new carbies!!! I am learning heaps during this process, not least of which is a reasonable knowledge of Bing carbies, which I knew nothing about before - so that's a plus eh?

The new engine is on the Thruster but requires some modifications to the new exhaust system, and I have purchased new egt senders and a duel egt gauge from the Pilot Shop here, extremely well priced too - Ian got them to me within a day or 2 so I could fit them last weekend, thanks Ian:clap2:. As it happened we had a family incident that stopped me working on the aircraft, so I'm hoping to get there this coming weekend. I reckon I have 2 good days to be ready for running in, so that will happen in a couple of weeks all other things being equal.

Thanks for the reply Terry,

Pud

Pud, I found with 500 cc multi-cylinder two strokes, that if one cylinder was down on power, or cut out (eg spark plug failure), within seconds there was disintegration on the top of the good cylinder(s), followed by a hole in the piston, followed by the hole extending out and letting the rigs out which usually fractured the barrel snapped the head bolts or tore out the through bolts, all depending when I backed off, which is hard to do if you're running a place.

From what you said about the old carbies, I wouldn't be concerned about the idler jet, needle jets or needles. A change in the mixture at idle is only going to cause some rough running. The needle jet only affects 1/4 to 3/4 throttle performance and makes then engine run fluffy, flat spotted or clea. In both those cases cylinder head temp is too low to start melting things. (Potential drama for an aircraft on final though if it fails to accelerate fast, or cuts out, but you were spared that)

The main jets are another thing entirely. They provide the mix at full power and cruise when the cylinder head temperature is at maximum. If the bigger jet was on the cylinder which failed, then my opinion is that the smaller jet restricted the power in the other cylinder and caused the blow up.

Hi Pud, had a great fly this afternoon in the middle of tassie in dead calm conditions for a couple of hours. unbelievable. Your've got a lot to look forward too.

just had another look at your photo at the start of this thread pud, she looks nice but would look better with a spinner do you think.

Hi Pud, had a great fly this afternoon in the middle of tassie in dead calm conditions for a couple of hours. unbelievable. Your've got a lot to look forward too.just had another look at your photo at the start of this thread pud, she looks nice but would look better with a spinner do you think.

You lucky buggar!!!

Dunno about a spinner Terry, my mates might reckon it's a bit wanky:csm:

What colour do you reckon, and have you got one? 074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif

Pud

You lucky buggar!!!Dunno about a spinner Terry, my mates might reckon it's a bit wanky:csm:

What colour do you reckon, and have you got one? 074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif

Pud

Hi Pud, it won't look wanky it'll look cool. It should be chrome and yes I've got one.

• Like 1

Hi Pud, it won't look wanky it'll look cool. It should be chrome and yes I've got one.

Hmmm, I'll have to give this some thought. I'm not persuaded yet mind.

What would such a thing set me back?

Hmmm, I'll have to give this some thought. I'm not persuaded yet mind.What would such a thing set me back?

Hi Pud, with all the bad luck you've had you must be due for some good luck. I got a new brolly prop so it does'nt fit mine so it's your's for the asking if you would like it. Don't take it just because it's free because someone else might like it but yours is first option.

Hi Pud! One of the things to be aware of, that can be a future problem, and very quickly at that, is the Muffler atachment brackets!

On my first 582, it took me 4 different designs to stop them from cracking! Finaly I came up with a design to incorprate rubber in the brackets and had no more trouble from then on.

The fuel pump mounting bracket was another problem and I solved it by making the atachment bracket out of rubber.

I made my muffler atachment for my current 503, incorprated rubber into it to absorb vibration and 220 hrs later, no problems!!!

Copying from someone elses design doesn`t necessarily work because the vibrational frequencies are unique to the particular aircraft!!!

Watch the radiator brackets also!!!

Cheers

Frank

Ps, Looks lik you`re having a lot of fun!!! bad_mood.gif.04f799b8c2da677a1c244b54433f2aa7.gif051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Hi Pud, with all the bad luck you've had you must be due for some good luck. I got a new brolly prop so it does'nt fit mine so it's your's for the asking if you would like it. Don't take it just because it's free because someone else might like it but yours is first option.

Well that is extremely generous of you Terry, and I appreciate the offer very much.

I'm not convinced it will be a good option for me so if you can find a good home for it elsewhere then please do so.

I will give it some thought though and visualise it on the Thruster, when I am working on it this Saturday.

I'll PM you if I reckon it will be a good addition.

Cheers,

Pud

Hi Pud! One of the things to be aware of, that can be a future problem, and very quickly at that, is the Muffler atachment brackets!That's one of the things I'll be working on this weekend. I'm certainly aware of the shock absorbing requirements so I intend to utilise the 'hourglass' type rubber/bolt mounts. I'll take a photo to show you the finished product once it's done.

On my first 582, it took me 4 different designs to stop them from cracking! Finaly I came up with a design to incorprate rubber in the brackets and had no more trouble from then on.

The fuel pump mounting bracket was another problem and I solved it by making the atachment bracket out of rubber.

The existing old mounting bracket I am reusing did not have any shock absorbing provision at all so I have installed rubber grommits under the bolts on this new engine. I'll take photos of this as well.

I made my muffler atachment for my current 503, incorprated rubber into it to absorb vibration and 220 hrs later, no problems!!!

I'd be interested in seeing your attachment if you have a photo to upload Frank.

Copying from someone elses design doesn`t necessarily work because the vibrational frequencies are unique to the particular aircraft!!!

I'll keep this in mind Frank

Watch the radiator brackets also!!!

Yeah the radiator brackets I have used incorporate the hourglass rubber shock absorbers as well. I'll take more photos!!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Cheers

Frank

Ps, Looks lik you`re having a lot of fun!!! bad_mood.gif.04f799b8c2da677a1c244b54433f2aa7.gif051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Well, even though there have been 'challenges' in this process, I reckon I've learnt heaps of stuff I would otherwise not have had cause to research, so I'm thankful for that. It has still been an interesting, worthwhile experience and I'm all the better for it - despite the frustrations:pull hair:

Thanks for your advice,

Pud

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Well, even though there have been 'challenges' in this process, I reckon I've learnt heaps of stuff I would otherwise not have had cause to research, so I'm thankful for that. It has still been an interesting, worthwhile experience and I'm all the better for it - despite the frustrations:pull hair:Thanks for your advice,

Pud

Hi Pud

Looking forward to hearing about your next flight. Best wishes. Mike

Hi PudLooking forward to hearing about your next flight. Best wishes. Mike

Thanks Mike,

I'm looking forward to my next flight as well; it's been a while.

I have a few family commitments for the next couple of weeks, then it will be back to the Thruster for a final day of bits and pieces in readiness for the first flight.

Pud

• Like 2

Hey, Pud!...I seem to remember something that goes a bit like this!

" When the going gets tough, the tough get going "

Goodonya!!!

Frank........................Real men fly Ultralights.004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif...022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Hey, Pud!...I seem to remember something that goes a bit like this!" When the going gets tough, the tough get going "

Goodonya!!!

Frank........................Real men fly Ultralights.004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif...022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

I prefer to think I'm the 'old bull' - you know the one; ambles down to the cows whilst the young bull rushes down:rofl:

Pud

• Like 1

Pud, Are the bolts on the rubber mounts, on the radiator and exhaust, one long bolt right through the middle,or, are they 2 seperate bolts,one from each end and moulded into the rubber?

Frank.

Pud, Are the bolts on the rubber mounts, on the radiator and exhaust, one long bolt right through the middle,or, are they 2 seperate bolts,one from each end and moulded into the rubber?Frank.

2 separate bolts moulded into the rubber. They need constant inspection to ensure the structural integrity but I reckon they provide better shock absorption then if it was one through bolt.