Here we go!!

pudestcon

2 separate bolts moulded into the rubber. They need constant inspection to ensure the structural integrity but I reckon they provide better shock absorption then if it was one through bolt.

Yeah! You`ve got it, Pud!!!

Frank.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another frustrating weekend!!!

Got a lot done and we were ready to fire her up at 11am today - but I wasted a couple of "Clear prop!" calls and realised the starter was not going to engage. Some investigation work, and help from a local mechanic, showed that the starter had been assembled with the magnet assembly the wrong way around. So reassembled and reinstalled for 'take 2" at 2pm.

Another couple of "Clear prop" calls were wasted - damn I'm getting sick of this!!!:ace:More investigation work - removed the spark plugs, plenty of fuel but no spark.

Ran out of time to investigate the lack of spark situation but I suspect the wiring from the engine to the ignition circuit switches could be the problem. Another week goes by........

Pud

Another frustrating weekend!!!Got a lot done and we were ready to fire her up at 11am today - but I wasted a couple of "Clear prop!" calls and realised the starter was not going to engage. Some investigation work, and help from a local mechanic, showed that the starter had been assembled with the magnet assembly the wrong way around. So reassembled and reinstalled for 'take 2" at 2pm.

Another couple of "Clear prop" calls were wasted - damn I'm getting sick of this!!!:ace:More investigation work - removed the spark plugs, plenty of fuel but no spark.

Ran out of time to investigate the lack of spark situation but I suspect the wiring from the engine to the ignition circuit switches could be the problem. Another week goes by........

Pud

Being new to all this, I never cease to be amazed at the rate of failure in what should be highly reliable aviation stuff. No spark in a brand new engine????

Stick with it Pud....you'll hear the cheers from all over Oz when you finally get into the air :big_grin:

Being new to all this, I never cease to be amazed at the rate of failure in what should be highly reliable aviation stuff. No spark in a brand new engine????Stick with it Pud....you'll hear the cheers from all over Oz when you finally get into the air :big_grin:

No worries Pow, I'm sticking with it don't worry!!

I don't believe the lack of spark is anything to do with the new engine. More likely that the wiring installed from the engine to the switches in the cockpit is faulty - that's our fault.

Roll on next weekend and we'll find out.

Pud

You realise Pud, when you get it off the ground you'll have a bigger crowd than Kingsford Smith!

Speaking of K.S., I popped in to see his Vickers Vimey at Adelaide airport last week. Such a sad sight. It stands in a dedicated "hanger", in the middle of a car park away from the main terminal, and was in total darkness. Protective screens have been erected about 4ft in front of the windows so no natural light enters the viewing corridor. Fair enough, but you'd think that the internal lights could be switched on so that interested people can at least see our most valuable aviation icon. It's said to be so fragile that it can't be moved into the new terminal building.

You realise Pud, when you get it off the ground you'll have a bigger crowd than Kingsford Smith!

My family have been out to the airfield on a number of occasions to record the event - only to record another false start, and my embarrassment:blush:

But we'll get there don't you worry!!

Pud

Speaking of K.S., I popped in to see his Vickers Vimey at Adelaide airport last week. Such a sad sight. It stands in a dedicated "hanger", in the middle of a car park away from the main terminal, and was in total darkness. Protective screens have been erected about 4ft in front of the windows so no natural light enters the viewing corridor. Fair enough, but you'd think that the internal lights could be switched on so that interested people can at least see our most valuable aviation icon. It's said to be so fragile that it can't be moved into the new terminal building.

Jeez, that's sad. I guess that's what happens when adequate resources are not allocated.

It will be worth it all in the end Pud... Just remember... when you get it sorted and that Throttle goes in... we will all be with you in spirit... How long has the resto taken so far? Its been quite a journey and you should be congratulated on sharing it here with us.

It will be worth it all in the end Pud... Just remember... when you get it sorted and that Throttle goes in... we will all be with you in spirit... How long has the resto taken so far? Its been quite a journey and you should be congratulated on sharing it here with us.

Thanks Win,

We did the handshake deal in April 2009 - would I do it again? NUP!!!

Pud

I've been doing some research work during the week on the lack of spark, plus I visited the hangar during the week for a quick inspection of the wiring.

What I reckon is the problem, and it's easily fixed, is the wire connections from the engine to the various sections. What we have is confusing wire colours coming from the engine (Rotax issue) where we have (according to the schematic in the Rotax Operators Manual) both ignition shorting cables identified as Black/yellow, then a Black/yellow wire and a Yellow wire for the rectifier regulator. That seems to be what I have identified on the engine as well, where the Black/yellow wires have been interchanged. Tomorrow we will expose the wiring enough to see just what connections have been made where!! If I am correct then it should be a simple fix to swap the wire connections and fire up the engine. Just so long as the rectifier regulator has not been fryed in the process!!!! It's a Powermate so I'm hoping it will be robust enough to have withstood any power spikes.

Pud

Guest davidh10

You would think if they were going to re-use the same wire colour code, they would put them in separate harnesses or wind a different coloured strip around them to make for unique identification.

Sounds like an easy error to make.

Good luck Pud. There's a veritable (or is that virtual) grand stand full of people cheering you on out here :-)

You would think if they were going to re-use the same wire colour code, they would put them in separate harnesses or wind a different coloured strip around them to make for unique identification.Sounds like an easy error to make.

Good luck Pud. There's a veritable (or is that virtual) grand stand full of people cheering you on out here :-)

Well I tell ya, there is going to be the biggest cheesiest smile you've ever seen to go with all those cheers:cheezy grin:

Pud

Hi Pud,

I think there is a brown wire coming out of the engine loom that needs to be connected tothe airframe/engine earth but does not appear in the basic wiring diagram and can easily be missed.

Cheers, From Oshkosh,

Glen

I've been doing some research work during the week on the lack of spark, plus I visited the hangar during the week for a quick inspection of the wiring.What I reckon is the problem, and it's easily fixed, is the wire connections from the engine to the various sections. What we have is confusing wire colours coming from the engine (Rotax issue) where we have (according to the schematic in the Rotax Operators Manual) both ignition shorting cables identified as Black/yellow, then a Black/yellow wire and a Yellow wire for the rectifier regulator. That seems to be what I have identified on the engine as well, where the Black/yellow wires have been interchanged. Tomorrow we will expose the wiring enough to see just what connections have been made where!! If I am correct then it should be a simple fix to swap the wire connections and fire up the engine. Just so long as the rectifier regulator has not been fryed in the process!!!! It's a Powermate so I'm hoping it will be robust enough to have withstood any power spikes.

Pud

Hi Pud

Sounds like yes are onto something. Black / yellow stripe wiring is used on circuits so that when a switch is closed the engine stops.

Enjoy the flying today.

Cheers Mike:thumb up:

Hi Pud,I think there is a brown wire coming out of the engine loom that needs to be connected tothe airframe/engine earth but does not appear in the basic wiring diagram and can easily be missed.

Cheers, From Oshkosh,

Glen

Yes you are correct Glen, It's an earth wire and is properly connected on my engine.

I hope you are enjoying Oshkosh.

Pud

The ignition problem is rectified - as we suspected, a couple of wires connected incorrectly. The engine fires into life very easily and on the first turn over, whether from cold with choke applied or when warm.

Further issues though..... Could not get the EGT gauge to register temps, thought about it overnight and sorted the problem this morning. Another issue with the water temp gauge not registering, the water temp sensor is a new one and registers an electrical signal with a multimeter at the sensor, and also at the connections to the gauge - sounds like a faulty gauge (this one is second hand) so will have it tested during the week. Last problem for this weekend is the tacho not reading in a steady manner - I can have 2500 rpm showing but the indicator will hunt at times between 2500 - 3500 rpm. Work to do here to eliminate this problem and will have the gauge tested during the week as well.

So the run in procedure has not been completed due to not knowing what the engine temps are - next week maybe.....

Pud

PS. The engine sounds sweet though:big_grin:

All progress pud, can't wait to see her in the air! By the way, have you heard of the Bindoon Agricultural College fly over in September for the Battle of Britain? 25-30 aircraft going on a "dawn patrol" flight around Bindoon and over the college. I've got the Gazelle for the morning! 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

-Andrew

The ignition problem is rectified - as we suspected, a couple of wires connected incorrectly. The engine fires into life very easily and on the first turn over, whether from cold with choke applied or when warm.Further issues though..... Could not get the EGT gauge to register temps, thought about it overnight and sorted the problem this morning. Another issue with the water temp gauge not registering, the water temp sensor is a new one and registers an electrical signal with a multimeter at the sensor, and also at the connections to the gauge - sounds like a faulty gauge (this one is second hand) so will have it tested during the week. Last problem for this weekend is the tacho not reading in a steady manner - I can have 2500 rpm showing but the indicator will hunt at times between 2500 - 3500 rpm. Work to do here to eliminate this problem and will have the gauge tested during the week as well.

So the run in procedure has not been completed due to not knowing what the engine temps are - next week maybe.....

Pud

PS. The engine sounds sweet though:big_grin:

Hi Pud

Don't give up on the gauges to fast. I did a check on a mates when his gauges would not work. Found the problem was with the wiring, make sure the wires connected to the back of the gauge are on the correct terminals. If they are back the front they will not work, just swap them over. Good to hear she a goer.

Regards

Mike

All progress pud, can't wait to see her in the air! By the way, have you heard of the Bindoon Agricultural College fly over in September for the Battle of Britain? 25-30 aircraft going on a "dawn patrol" flight around Bindoon and over the college. I've got the Gazelle for the morning! 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif-Andrew

That sounds interesting Andrew,

I might have to take time out of my busy schedule:cheezy grin:to come visit.

Cheers,

Pud

Hi PudDon't give up on the gauges to fast. I did a check on a mates when his gauges would not work. Found the problem was with the wiring, make sure the wires connected to the back of the gauge are on the correct terminals. If they are back the front they will not work, just swap them over. Good to hear she a goer.

Regards

Mike

Thanks Mike,

Yeah, that was one of the first things we tried, with no success.

As turbo said..... "Methodical makes progress", so we will get there one way or another.