one in sixty rule

(Facthunter was up the front flying all over Australia using his finger to measure on the WAC Charts).

Good navigation is getting to where you want to go!.... Not the method you use to get there!!!!

Frank.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you want us to say 35 degrees opposite the track error to bring you back to the destination or do you want us to describe the plane and wind vector that might cause this? I did 1 in 60 because I can't find a WAC or a protractor at the moment. Still though, an interesting question. what is the error introduced by using 1 in 60 compared to the compass method?

I think I would attempt to regain track in the next 30 mins (56 degree adjustment) so that the very carefully noted 40 mile markers came back into scope and I wasn't looking at a totally different railway line road and river combo that was going to bite me.

Col

Ok CFI, so you want me to draw another line then?...from the "pinpoint" to the destination?...Then get out my potractor and redo a heading...so in other words you want me to do a diversion from my "pinpoint" off course??....

You could do diversions all over the place and your wac, or you could use the 1 in 60 and come up with a course correction, with a closing angle to the destination, or, even better, a simple correction to get you back on to the track you had planned.

But...oh, i forgot, u wanted numbers...well the pilot ( who didn't get an arfor and was breaking the rules and was subjected to 34 kt direct crosswinds, or was flying somewhere where the difference between magnetic and true is 28 deg's (no one in australia) was 28 deg's off course.......ps, didnt use the protractor, sorry, couldn't find one...;)

cheers

Fact of the matter is both ways work, Cfi's protractor idea works, and the 1in60 works. Just whatever floats your boat!

The 1in60 is a DR way to simplify calculations to get you back to where you want to be. But for people who aren't mathematically minded, the protractor way is another fail safe thing to do.

There is really no wrong way, but there are ways to do less map handling. And arguing over the fact why his hypothetical scenario is 14nm off track in 30 miles is pretty silly in my opinion! :play_ball:

There's always someone ready to miss the point in these discussions Tom0. You use a simple example to help the learners and two or three people dive in to mess it up.

Bryon, I'd go so far as to say you should not carry a passenger on a cross country flight until you learn how to regain your track. Inevitably, and even with an Arfor the crosswind component is going to be different and the landmarks confusing, and you won't be prepared for that. Worse, you may have convinced someone else to stop at the beginner's "reading from ground to map" and one day read about him in the newspapers.

Part of the safety reason for the 1 in 60 is to avoid a pilot flying all over the sky during his trip.

If you have flight planned to arrive at your destination with minimum legal fuel, the 1 in 60 minimises time spent off track. Wandering round would require the pilot to land at a closer airfield, and then leads to the bad decision of trying to stretch it.

Please take this discussion seriously because the people who DO have the knowledge and experience are trying to pass on some wisdom

• Like 3

Guest Howard Hughes
or didn't get the arfor...or forgot to convert from true to magnetic ..or misread the protractor....i could go on....

I was thinking forgot to hit NAV on the autopilot......not speaking from experience, honest!004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Given that this thread is a Student Pilot section I wonder if making nav so involved is necessary. We can all discuss our own methods at length but at student level I believe it should be left to the instructor at the time.

After 7 pages of opinions if I was still a student I would start to question my instructor.

Like a previous post about LSAL, where I was hammered, many opinions were put forward, but the bottom line was that many in RAA use the term to indicate a safe crusing level and the use of terms relevant to IFR which have no relevance to VFR and by default no relavence to RAA flying.

Maybe I am off track but this is my opinion for what it is worth.

Frank M

Would you send a student off on a solo nav without bothering to cover this Frank?

Not suggesting the topic should not be covered and understood during training - I was just thinking that too many options too early may be confusing i.e. get proficient with what the particular school is teaching first then explore everything and use what you find suits you best.

Frank M

• Like 2