Magazine?

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest davidh10
I seem to recall in an IT legal course at uni that there is a well understood and practised way of having people who have squatted on a domain moved on so to speak. As I recall ( and I may well be hazy) it doesnt cost anything and gets the registry to do the work for you. In Australia I think that Melbourne IT is the registry of the au versions of .com, org .net .biz, info .name .travel .cat and .mobi but no mention of .asn and it is subserviant to ICANN (the grand poohbah of all domain registries in the USA) and must conform to the USA "Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy" or UDRP which I think in effect says if your organisation would reasonably be expected to have the domain you are seeking, and the current holder of the domain has no obvious reason to have it then standby for a quick change and I think some damages agaisnt the clown who holds it at present....Still it was a while ago and isnt an area I have anything much to do with at work, with most of our domains being internal facing.

Andy

Pretty much correct, Andy.

For .au Domains, the complaint would go to AuDa, the Australian Domain Authority. They set the rules under which Australian Domains are issued and are the body that registers Registries. Domain Squatting has become illegal in the USA, but I'm unaware of any such law in Australia. That said, you don't own a Domain, you effectively lease it and if you don't have a reasonable use for it (rules vary between domains), it can be revoked and registered by someone else. For some Domains, that actually includes using it, so association with your company name alone is insufficient (.biz is an example where this applies). I've never had to go through the process, so cannot comment on the specifics.

Guest davidh10
So who owns the natfly.com.au name? RAA? How can someone else own the name?

Nobody can "own" a Domain Name, but it is currently registered to an organisation as follows:-

Domain Name: natfly.com.au Last Modified: 23-May-2011 06:09:16 UTC Registrar ID: PlanetDomain Registrar Name: PlanetDomain Status: ok Registrant: MICHAEL COATES PHOTOGRAPHY PTY. LIMITED Registrant ID: ABN 89 001 522 916

* The first two names of the company are that person whose name cannot be spoken (at least on this site).

Presumably the transfer has not filtered through to the whois records yet.

Got mine today.

• I think the layout and the quality of the articles feels far more professional. I enjoy reading a well edited mag.

• Great idea to have some prizes for contributers. Hopefully it will attract some more members to write in.

• A "news" section is something that's been sorely lacking in the past. Every other magazine has one. Hopefully this will expand as more of us contribute.

• I'd like to see more how-to and instructional articles. I'm sorry, I've enjoyed reading them, but I'm a bit over all the travelogues. The photography article and the "Flight Instructors Forum" are a good step in the right direction. I'd like to see some CFI's writing some articles (and pay them for articles if we have to).

• I love the little story on the last page. A lot of mags have one. It's somewhere where any of us can write a quick little snippet with a photo about our love of flying and inspire others. In this mag the smile from a 6 year old in a Drifter made my day!

There's a few rough edges. The Sport Pilot title on the cover looks a bit amateurish, but I think the general cover layout is attractive. I hate with a passion when you have to search through 30 pages to find the end of the article you are reading (eg Pilot Talk), but most mags are guilty of this. Both the Editor and Deputy Editor are GA pilots, and you can tell this in Kreisha's Sport Cruiser review. However it was a well written and balanced aircraft review.

Overall a good effort and an improvement in quality.

I seem to recall in an IT legal course at uni that there is a well understood and practised way of having people who have squatted on a domain moved on so to speak. As I recall ( and I may well be hazy) it doesnt cost anything and gets the registry to do the work for you. In Australia I think that Melbourne IT is the registry of the au versions of .com, org .net .biz, info .name .travel .cat and .mobi but no mention of .asn and it is subserviant to ICANN (the grand poohbah of all domain registries in the USA) and must conform to the USA "Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy" or UDRP which I think in effect says if your organisation would reasonably be expected to have the domain you are seeking, and the current holder of the domain has no obvious reason to have it then standby for a quick change and I think some damages agaisnt the clown who holds it at present....Still it was a while ago and isnt an area I have anything much to do with at work, with most of our domains being internal facing.

Andy

The .au domain resolution policy starts here, http://www.auda.org.au/audrp/audrp/ auDA is the Australian Domain administrator and all the .au domain registries are subject to their control.

Col

Guest Steven Runciman
So how much did we (RAA) have to pay the person who cannot be named to have the right to the use of what is essentially our (RAA) event and by default our name? Or did the person who cannot be named do the right thing and hand it over to us (RAA)?David

David,

I did all the dealing with regards to getting the domain names for both Recreational Aviation Australia and NATFLY. Both parties were accommodating and in my opinion reasonable. The person who owned NATFLY was kind enough to let us have it for what he paid for it and no more.

Regards,

Steve

David,I did all the dealing with regards to getting the domain names for both Recreational Aviation Australia and NATFLY. Both parties were accommodating and in my opinion reasonable. The person who owned NATFLY was kind enough to let us have it for what he paid for it and no more.

Regards,

Steve

Yes Steve, I think the Natfly domain name was a sign of decency by he who must not be named, however it was pure profiteering by that scum bag in Ballarat on the RecreationalAviationAustralia domain names...at least we have our OWN name now.

Which reminds me Steve, I was asked to purchase the Northern flyin domain name for the RAAus and handed it over to the RAAus straight away and it is pointed to the RAAus site however it hasn't been formally transferred yet, didn't get paid for the cost of it either but that doesn't matter, but that will be coming up for renewal soon so best we formally transfer it over or do I just let it lapse?

Are you back in Aust yet?

Guest Steven Runciman
Nothing Pud..................Change for the sake of change I suppose.......................our board running off again without any consultation whatsoever with the ones who pay their wages ...........................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Ross,

Hello mate, hope all is well. You really should try to keep abreast of things in the organisation and maybe do a bit of research before making comment. It has been said many times on this forum that the board members are VOLUNTEERS. The definition of a volunteer, according to Wikipedia is as follows:

In general terms, volunteering is the practice of people working on behalf of others or a particular cause without payment for their time and services.

I am not sure what period of time your comment comes from but I have been a member of RA-Aus for three years (yes, a relatively short period of time I know) and in that time no member of the board have received a 'wage' from RA-Aus. So, therefore, not sure what you mean by 'our board running off again without any consultation whatsoever with the ones who pay their wages' - as far as I know the members never have paid a wage to the board members and I am certain that they never will!

Hope that clarifies the situation for you.

Kind Regards,

The real MAJOR!

How about a list of ideas on what articles people want in the magazine?

Maybe spice it up with some Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll. Sex could be an article on aircraft nose art (as we have junior members I think its better not to have sex covering anything about the contortionism involved in joining a certain club in an RAA aircraft), drugs could be the adventures of someone who has been tested by CASA (and preferably wasn't nailed) and Rock and Roll could be an interview with a flying muso (James Morrison ??).

To answer some comments, Brian Bigg may fly GA at times but has owned an RAA aircraft for many years and thanks for your kind words David, effective representation sounds much better to my ego than apathy.

003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Nick

• Like 1

Guest Steven Runciman
Hey Major Runciman ... are you back in the land of the wet weather yet, that is back from the other land of the wet weather? 007_rofl.gif.8af89c0b42f3963e93a968664723a160.gifDavid

David,

Yeah back in the land of Aus! It was great to catch up with family and friends back in Blighty but good to be back.

Steve

Guest Steven Runciman
Yes Steve, I think the Natfly domain name was a sign of decency by he who must not be named, however it was pure profiteering by that scum bag in Ballarat on the RecreationalAviationAustralia domain names...at least we have our OWN name now.Which reminds me Steve, I was asked to purchase the Northern flyin domain name for the RAAus and handed it over to the RAAus straight away and it is pointed to the RAAus site however it hasn't been formally transferred yet, didn't get paid for the cost of it either but that doesn't matter, but that will be coming up for renewal soon so best we formally transfer it over or do I just let it lapse?

Are you back in Aust yet?

Ian,

Yeah back in Aus. I will call you.

Steve

With all the talk of missing magazines recently, I was surprised this morning to fine a copy od Sport Pilot in my mail box. This is the new RAA publication. Did you receive yours yet.I'm now off to enjoy a coffee, and see what the mag contains.

Mine arrived today - don't see that much difference really. Just one article that I'm motivated to read, that's the one about 2-strokes. Haven't read it yet though.

Pud

Hey Pud,Have you got the 582 repaired yet and dare I ask how much it cost?

David

Locked away in the sea container at the hangar David. Might get something done this weekend if I don't get carried away reading the magazine:wink:

I've posted costs here http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/here-we-go.26924/page-7

Pud

Guest davidh10

Mine arrived yesterday. First impression is it looks good. It also confirms that the magazine will be on the new web site when it materialises.

The editor contacted me and note that he is reading ALL your comments and really is listening...this first one is the benchmark and improvements where necessary based on your comments I am sure will occur thanks to all of you...you may even find a couple of your comments in the next edition...the Good, Bad and Ugly

Guest davidh10
... Just one article that I'm motivated to read, that's the one about 2-strokes. Haven't read it yet though.Pud

I read it last night. It was a contrast to the thread of similar name we had here a while back. The article took a few twists and turns, but was focussed on Rotax two-strokes only. That seemed a narrow perspective....

A new thread has been started to discuss this article.

Why not David, there are some very light four strokes around now, and I haven't checked this but think two strokes have a time limit now for marine applications on environmental grounds. The four strokes are also doing well in RC aircraft. I know that's a long bow, but a dedicated thread could throw up some interesting information, and maybe fodder for the magazine.

Received my mag on Tuesday, I think the new name doesn't fit and should be dropped but the mag is OK.... nice bright & crisp layout etc. Sure there are a lot of ads to content but I can also appreciate it wouldn't be an easy job to organise a bunch of substantial articles each month. Hmm... Natfly was almost a non-event apparently. Might be nit-picking to mention but the scan quality of the front cover photo is a bit dodgy which made me wonder if it was going to be all down hill inside but no, I think the organisers deserve a pat on the back (followed by a clip around the ear over the title of course). Ads are essential for revenue reasons so I don't begrudge them, just hope they don't crowd out real articles going forward.

UPDATE - I should make clear my comments are from the perspective of a captive audience RAA member. If I was paying full price at a newsagent as a casual purchase I would not be so forgiving and most likely would not buy another copy based on the ad vs content ratio and the absence of anything to do with sport despite the (false) title.